• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Custom ashtray I'm commisioning for a friend

Strayvector

Like what you smoke, smoke what you like
Sorry about the quality of the pictures, I only had my iPhone available. I had this ashtray commissioned for a friend of mine by a local artist here in Tucson. It still needs to be painted, glazed and fired, but it has surpassed any expectations I had. I only asked the artist to create an ashtray with a hummingbird motif, and this blows any expectations I had.

gallery_1870_1302_19476.jpg

gallery_1870_1302_18023.jpg

Cool!

Be sure and post pictures of this once it's been fired and glazed Sam. I bet it will be really awesome!

Sam you shouldn't have! :laugh:

Very nice, your friend will be in for a treat!

Killer ashtray...can't wait to see a pic of the finished product. How did you find the artist? I'm sure your friend is going to be very happy with this gift.

The artist is a friend and also the art teacher at my kids' school. I was stumped at what to get my friend for Christmas and knew he and his wife were big fans of hummingbirds. I've seen some of the artist's pottery work before and have always been impressed. She had never made an ashtray before and when I asked, she was more than willing to accept the challenge. Only problem was that her talents are always in high demand and even though this was commissioned well before Christmas, she was so backed up that it won't be finished for another few days. I've asked her to make another ashtray, but that one won't be completed for another couple of weeks. I'll definitely post pictures when the ashtrays are complete.

That's very cool! Is she going to do the painting also? Keep us posted.

Hey SV, that's an absolutely beautiful ash tray. Some of the finest work I've seen.
When are you going to stop by and help me smoke some of my cigars? :thumbs:

Beautiful work, the finished product should turn out really nice for sure.

Very cool. I have seen so much creativity go into the tools that we use for smoking that it is quite inspiring. Really love the ashtray and am sure your friend will too :thumbs:

The bird is the word!

Hey SV, that's an absolutely beautiful ash tray. Some of the finest work I've seen.
When are you going to stop by and help me smoke some of my cigars? :thumbs:

I'll have to make some time in the New Year, Bill. I'll PM you when I'm actually in town and have some time.

Forgot to update this with the finished ashtray. They certainly came out better than I expected.

The finished product:

gallery_1870_1302_11714.jpg

gallery_1870_1302_76807.jpg

Here's a second ashtray she made for me:

gallery_1870_1302_77032.jpg

gallery_1870_1302_7722.jpg

AWESOME accessories!! Oh, the ashtrays aren't too bad either... Okay, on a real note, those are awesome... You two should make a pact that they are kept as a pair when the time comes. I think as a pair they would compliment each other perfectly.

Mike

I love the detail on the breast feathers. Very exquisite and delicate.

Wow those are some great pieces of functional art. Just the type of pieces that you can enjoy for so many years to come.