• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

DANBY WINE COOLER

MOBIG

The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reaction score
Hey guys is this danby winecooler #dwc310bl any good for a wine-o-dor? Its brand new and the person is selling it dirt cheap almost giveing it away. And I ask because every here talks about vinotemp being the best but for the price is it worth takeing it off his hands?
- 35 bottle capacity
- Temperature Cooling
Range 42.8F - 57.2F
- Shatter resistant tempered
glass door
- Interior display light
- Auto-Cycle Defrost
- 5 full width wire shelves
- 1 half width wire shelf
- 1 staggered shelf
- Reversible door hinge
- Width 17 11/16"
- Depth 20 1/16"
- Height 33 1/16"
dwc310bl.JPG

I believe it has a compressor style cooling unit, which would not be good for humidity. Compressor style coolers take humidity out. I also noted it's lowest temp. setting is 57 degrees, which is too low.

I believe it has a compressor style cooling unit, which would not be good for humidity. Compressor style coolers take humidity out. I also noted it's lowest temp. setting is 57 degrees, which is too low.

he's exactly right. In order to get that kind of cooling its got to be a compressor. It'll be dry as the Sahara in there and far too chilly.

I have one and it was nearly impossible to stabilize the humidity and temp when it was plugged in and running. Since I moved it to my basement room and cut the cord off of it it works great! It's like a fancy cooler.

It was worth the <$100 I paid just for the capacity and nice looks, but it ain't worth two squirts as a cooled humidor.

YMMV.

Thanks guys I wait to see if something else comes up. Do'nt have much space if it's not going to work.
and CeeMmm I dont like wine, grey goose or henny is my choice :cool:

Danby branded refrigerators get no love on any of the cigar, wine and beer forums I peruse. The recurring opinion of them is they are cheap, figuratively as well as literally.

The compressor style cooling unit will be no good for what you are looking to do. it will suck the moisture out of the air and then put to much back. The condinstation will build up in the back and cause the store plume (Also known as mold) as may dealers will call it. Get a 28 btl vinotemp with electro cooler and you will be very happy.

FWIW, I have a Haier BC112G 30 bottle compressor system wine cooler. I used it as a modified cabinet humidor for some time with absolutely no problems or difficulties. I know many others who also use(d) the same model wine cooler, and/or other compressor system models, sans difficulties. Thermoelectric is nice, but for the right price, I'd have no problem going the compressor route again.

Guys,

The debate on thermo electric vs compressor systems is endless. You can use a compressor system, but it's harder to control fluctuations in humidity. Trust me, I use both without issue.

It took me an obscene amount of research but, an Oster 5.0 cubic foot fridge with a ranco controller, an active humidification system like the hydra, along with about 7 pounds of KL beads, and two extra fans works.

002.jpg

Geez, all that work just to keep cigars. ???

Actually, I was just discussing a similar issue with my wife. We have no kids at home any longer (yippppppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee) but I still run the downstairs
air conditioner, just so my cigars stay around 70 ambient; that's about $200 a month. It's still on because it's still hot here. Crazy hobby I have.

Brian

Geez, all that work just to keep cigars. ???

Actually, I was just discussing a similar issue with my wife. We have no kids at home any longer (yippppppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee) but I still run the downstairs
air conditioner, just so my cigars stay around 70 ambient; that's about $200 a month. It's still on because it's still hot here. Crazy hobby I have.

Brian
Never met the man, and too new to have known him - but reading this brings a lump to my throat, i.e.,

Sunt lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt - Virgil, Aeneid

(Aeneid sees a mural depicting the Trojan War, cries at the sight, and says, "There are tears for things, and mortal things touch my mind." Weird what one remembers from high-school Latin class of 30 years ago ...)

Requiescat in pace,
-Craig