• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

De-scenting cigars

HumiDork

More specifically, my buddy has sinned. He smoked part of a Cain, clipped it and put it back in my humidor.

I had my last few Cohiba Edicion Limitadas in that humidor, my absolute favorite cigar in the world. Now the whole humidor smells AWFUL and so do my cigars! Is there ANY way to save my beloved Cohibas?!

... _ _ _ ...

If you get the smell out, let us know how you did it.

Ditch the friend.

Look on the bright side. Now you have a humidor for half smoked cigars.

Doc.

I hope your friend is willing to reimburse you for the cost of replacing those sticks. Accidents happen, yes, but I know if I did that and unwittingly ruined my buddy's cigars and humidor, I would be scrambling to make it right.

Did you know he put the Cain in there, or did you opened your humidor later and say, "What the hell!?"

Wow, that's some serious stench I would bet.

I've read that if you let cigars sit that they will loose a bad smell as they age. I don't know if it really works or how long it takes as I've never had to deal with such an issue. Let us know how it goes...

My suggestion: Stock up on a few empty boxes from your local B&M and keep replacing them every couple of weeks until the cigars (and boxes) not longer smell like an ashtray. Just throw away the ones that stink.

As for the humidor, well, that's probably useless for a while if it's lined with wood. You can try cleaning it...

How long was it in there before you noticed? What size humi and how many sticks were in there?

My guess would be dry-boxing the tainted cigars for a few days, then rehumidifying. Again, that's just a guess. YMMV.

Derek

Also, if you have a cooler, that you can use for a few weeks it might help to get them into a larger airspace.

Get a cheap humidification device of some kind (it may end up smelling like smoke) and let them sit there for a couple weeks. Open it up every day and let the smelly air change out for fresh air. Maybe you'll be able to get them back smokeable and you'll discover the magic of the coolerdor in the process, haha.

Surprised no one's mentioned Febreeze, yet. Hold the cigar by the foot and dip into Febreeze. Just don't let any get in the foot of the cigar. Let sit out overnight to dray and they should be fine. Put a shot glass of 1/2 Febreeze and 1/2 Red Stag Black Cherry in the humidor and let it set for 48 hours.

You should be good to go after this. :thumbs:

-John

Surprised no one's mentioned Febreeze, yet. Hold the cigar by the foot and dip into Febreeze. Just don't let any get in the foot of the cigar. Let sit out overnight to dray and they should be fine. Put a shot glass of 1/2 Febreeze and 1/2 Red Stag Black Cherry in the humidor and let it set for 48 hours.

-John

Is this how you make your own ACID's at home?

Friends never let friends......near their humidors!!

Bad things can result and often do...
ohmy.gif

Oh and I forgot to add, Hit your friend on the head with a rolled up newspaper and tell him "BAD!"

-John

Is this how you make your own ACID's at home?

Almost, but I don't have any weed to put in 'em.

How long was it in there before you noticed? What size humi and how many sticks were in there?

If this is answered it would help a sh*t load. I have an idea that has a decent shot at working. When burnt food in a commercial kitchen occurs I found one and only one way to save the food. The answer is... ROSE WATER, I keep a bottle in my fridge for the unfortunate circumstance that it happens at home. It will remove the burnt taste and smell without changing the original taste and smell... So I offer up a suggestion, remove the sticks from the humidor and place them in empty full cedar boxes, then place the sticks in with I don't know beads, humipaks, or a stable bowl of rose water. Replace/clean the humidification device, change boxes regularly until smell subsides. As for the humidor I propose you open it and let it dry as, place a humongous bowl of rose water in there and replace the rose water regularly until the smell dissipates. I hope this works for your you, but if not the rose water shouldn't set you back that much and we will have another option checked off... But everyone keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best!!!

WKOTI

Tough break man. What a disaster. Wish I had the answers you were looking for.