• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dealing With Plugged Smokes

CigarBarr

Hello Smokers-
Any advice on dealing with plugged smokes? I am looking for some tool or needle that would be 2-3 incehs long.

Im sure you guys have some interesting tricks.

Thanks Guys-
C

I'm not sure if this thing actually works (I've never tried), but it seems to be what you are looking for.

Link

*Knock on wood*...ive NEVER had a plugged cigar in the few years ive been smoking....but i hear a Shish Kabob skewer works great.

I'm of the mind that if a smoke is plugged, it's a failure. Granted, cigars are products made by hand out of natural materials, but if the primary function (drawing air through it to sustain combustion) fails, then I usually chuck it. If it's a tight or very tight draw, I work on it a bit until the stick warms up to see if that helps. I also try to massage the barrel of the cigar a bit to see if I can work a few channels open.

I've never use a poker.

Wilkey

Be careful, a drawpoker can split a cigar.
If its plugged, and you try to fit more in there...........well need I say more?
The drawpoker is worthless, and so is a plugged cigar.

I just pitch em and start over..........
Most cigar shops will give you another cigar if its bad.

Hi there,

I have used a wooden toothpick (especially two ended ones, they are a bit longer), but I tend to be on Ginseng side.. if it is plugged.. :(

The DrawPoker, which Nathan gave a link to, works OK. It simply makes holes straight through the cigar, making airflow easier. But after smoking the poked cigar a while, they seem to quite often fill up again, perhaps by the heat generated. I would suggest using a thin stainless metal stick if you have plugged cigars. Be careful with those panetelas though, you might break the wrapper!

I've had a couple of plugged cigars and I've taking my thermometer that I have and corrected it. Its a digital one one about a 4" long metal rod. I hate doing that to a cigar but at the same time I cant throw away a stick that I've paid good money. Let alone drive to a Cigar shop to have it replaced. $30 in fuel just isnt worth it. :( And if its real bad, it gets cut up to smoke in my pipe which I've only had to do once in nearly 10 years.

CigarBarr said:
deck screw??
[snapback]258283[/snapback]​

Screw it in, then pull it (as well as a good amount of tobacco) out. Better than using a cigar poker that merely pushing the already too tight tobacco even more together (which will most likely end of moving right back into the void left by the poker in the first place) - this way you actually remove some tobacco and loosen up the draw without having it re-plug.

Forget all these tools and tips. You just need to follow 3 simple rules:

1. Find trash can.
2. Throw the plugged cigar in said trash can.
3. Get another cigar.

Seriously, 1 out of 10, maybe 20 plugged cigars will be salvaged. It's just not worth messing with.

MDW said:
http://www.cigarsforless.com/accessories/cigar-pokers.htm

They are listed as sold out, but maybe they will restock or could be found elsewhere. But then again, maybe it's just a nice paper weight?

-- Mark
[snapback]258314[/snapback]​

Holy smokes - those...err...paper weights are expensive. What a waste of $100. The draw poker works just fine.

My plugged cigars problem has been 99% solved since I lowered the humidity from 70% to 65%...and uneven burns are a thing of the past.

Drill bit. And yes I have attached it to the drill... :)

In all honesty Anything small and slender will ultimately work in helping clear a plug. Experiment is all I can truly say.

Just dont use a hammer drill. :)

vewyphishy said:
Forget all these tools and tips. You just need to follow 3 simple rules:

1. Find trash can.
2. Throw the plugged cigar in said trash can.
3. Get another cigar.

Seriously, 1 out of 10, maybe 20 plugged cigars will be salvaged. It's just not worth messing with.
[snapback]258430[/snapback]​
...yeah. What he said.

I had a cab of some really nice cigars and son of a gun, about half of this batch were plugged. I tried drills, shis-ka-bob sticks, screws, etc. and they either didn't work well or they split the gar. Now, plugged sticks get a moment of silence and respect....then they get tossed.

FWIW - B.B.S.