• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Did CI/cBid sell my info?

All I know is that I've been dealing with CI for a few years now and have yet to get any information from any other cigar company.

And why would you give your competitor info?

I started getting their catalogs about six months ago. I've heard so many horror stories that I never considered ordering. But I looked. They don't even make a decent catalog! :D

I guess CI did me dirty!

I like doing business with CI, but they do exchange info with other parties if you don't opt out. I've gotten some other catalogs in the mail, but no phone calls (we're on the do not call list). Thompsons on the other had is horrible. If they were the only cigar retailer I'd smoke Dutch Masters from the Mobile instead. I got out of their cigar club about 5 years ago by telling them I was going to order 2 boxes of the Partagas 150's, smoke 2 of the cigars from each box and return the rest for a full refund if they didn't cancel my membership. They canceled my membership and except for an occasional catalog I haven't heard from them since.

Its unfortunately a common practice. Many times companies will sell their info to a list broker. These lists are more valuable if the demographics are broken down. For the cigar industry, the major targets are based off income and recreation preferences. If you are getting unsolicited calls, you're probably considered a "tobacco enthusiast" on some list.

I've ordered from CI and Famous before...no complaints about service and I do get both their catalogs in the mail. I've never ordered from Thompson of JR, but for some reason I get their catalogs in the mail also. Nothing from Holts. Luckily I don't get any phone calls from them. Catalogs I can deal with...soliicitation calls I hate.

I've ordered from CI many times. I love that site. I have yet to receive any other catalogs besides ci's and have not had any phone calls. Lets hope that continues. I would be annoyed as well especially if they called that early since i often don't get home from work and in bed till almost 3-4am.

Nevermind. I found my answer. Basterds. :angry:

From CI's privacy policy:

Partners: Cigars International partners with companies that offer products and services we believe may be of interest to our customers. If you purchase a product from us, there is a chance we may exchange your name with another company whose products and services might interest you. If you do not want to have your name exchanged, contact us at any time.

isn't it to late by then, once you start getting call and catalogs.

I sent CI's customer service an Email today, here is what I have so far... Copy and Pasted, start from the bottom and work your way to the top. When Jessica (who I've dealt with before and is awesome) gets around to answering me I'll post her answer here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Giving people's information to Thompson Cigars

My Comment Date: 9/1/2010 2:47 PM
Hello Jessica,

The problem is, that people who have never bought cigars from any place else other than CI are suddenly getting catalogs from Thompson Cigar.

How does Thompson Cigar, suddenly out of the blue, know that the aforementioned person smokes cigars? That makes things seem "Very Fishy in Denmark".

Thompson Cigars certainly just doesn't fire off catalogs like shotgun shells hoping to accidentally hit someone who smokes cigars. They have to be getting the information from somewhere, and if the person has only used CI up to the time they receive the Thompson Cigar catalog, well it doesn't take a genius to figure out where Thompson got the information.

Fact is a lot of people who are loyal CI customers think CI is responsible for Thompson receiving their information and CI is losing customers who are that upset about it over it.

Thompson Cigars has the reputation of being the slime of the cigar world, once you get on their mailing list, you have to threaten legal action to be taken off. Their house brand products are horrible, and their normal brands are overpriced.

Truly CI should want nothing to do with Thompson Cigars at all.

Sincerely,

Shawn Adams

Customer service comment by: Jessica Date: 9/1/2010 10:26 AM
Shawn,

Thank you for being a Cigars Intl customer! I’m very sorry to hear that you are receiving catalogs from another cigar retailer. I can assure you that we do not sell our customer’s information. We do purchase mailing lists from a company, which is what our competitors most likely also do.

I hope this helps answer your question. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with! Have a great day!

Jessica
Customer Service

My Comment Date: 9/1/2010 1:52 AM
Hello,

I am a member of Cigar Pass, more than once it has been brought up that people who order cigars from CI have been receiving catalogs from Thompson Cigars.

Considering Thompson Cigars has a horrible reputation and is a direct competitor to CI, we would like to think this isn't true.

Can you confirm or deny this for us?

Here is a link to one of the forum discussions over this matter.

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=63619&st=0&p=953791&#entry953791

Thank you,

Shawn Adams

After considering it I decided Thompson's can ruin their margins on my lack of business.

Latest Update:

Shawn,

I can assure you that we do not sell your information. I did send your message onto our Management team yesterday and was assured of this.

I can promise you that they are feverishly looking into this matter.

Jessica

I'm not sure why this is so difficult. I've never dealt with Thompson's and although I asked to be removed from both theirs and CI's mailing lists months ago and was assured it would be taken care of, I just received another CI catalog the other day. They both give you the run around and ignore simple requests. I think the next Thompson's catalog I receive, I will consider making the 4hr drive and punching Thompson in the face.

I think the next Thompson's catalog I receive, I will consider making the 4hr drive and punching Thompson in the face.

LOL!

I can see the cartoon bubble in my head.

Receptionist: "Hello, welcome to Thompson Cigars. Can I help you?"
You: "Yes, I have an appointment with Mr Thompson."
Receptionist: "What is it regarding?"
You: "I'm here to give him some suggestions on his catalog circulation. He's expecting me."

:whistling:

Latest Update:

Shawn,

I can assure you that we do not sell your information. I did send your message onto our Management team yesterday and was assured of this.

I can promise you that they are feverishly looking into this matter.

Jessica

Yeah right. I got my first Thompson's catalog in the mail along with my first CI catalog that came with my first CI purchase. I'm still getting a Thompson's catalog, and the more I read this thread, the more pissed off I am becoming. I'm not ordering from CI anymore, there's far too many coincidences. I'm done with em'!

Yo! Soulpup, she only said she didn't sell my info... not yours :sign:

I use CI because they don't mind shipping to me over here.

Yo! Soulpup, she only said she didn't sell my info... not yours :sign:

I use CI because they don't mind shipping to me over here.

Shawn, you're right... I never had any problems with CI shipping over here either. After the Devil's Weed debacle however, I stopped buying from them. Israel also has no problems shipping over here. :)

I got my first Thompson catalog before I started smoking cigars. It actually was their catalog that sparked my interest. It is possible that non-cigar places also sold your info, or you happened to fall into a demographic they target with random mailings.

What happened with the devil's weed?

Devil's Weed Thread

CI posted a very callous, ungentlemanly blurb in their catalog when they began carrying the line. Great deals to be sure, but it just came off as snotty. There are too many other good retailers out there that I'd rather do business with... little things like this matter.