• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Differences in GOF by Don Carlos?

LilBastage

Meat is murder! Tasty, tasty murder.
This may be a silly question, but I gotta ask. I searched as many ways that I could, and couldn't find this info.

I have been the lucky recipient of 2 2005 GOF Robusto by Don Carlos cigars from 2 different BOTL. The coffins have all the same markings and they look essentially the same. The difference is that one is about an inch or so longer than the other. The cigars are the same size. Is this normal? Was there a packaging change? Could that change give me an idea of age?

I have no experience with these cigars outside of this, so please forgive my ignorance...

What do the bands on the cigars say? It sounds like one of the cigars is actually a Carlito blend 2005 double robusto.

What do the bands on the cigars say? It sounds like one of the cigars is actually a Carlito blend 2005 double robusto.

They are both 2005 Robustos by Don Carlos. The coffins both say the same thing. The bands both say the same thing. The cigars are exactly the same size. The one is in a longer coffin and there is foam to make up the size difference so the cigar does not move around.

Oh, I see. I thought you were saying the cigars were a different size and the coffins were the same. I bought a box of these when they were released back in early '06 or something like that, I don't have my records in front of me to confirm, and the coffins are larger than the cigar and there was a block of wood in the bottom to make up for the space. So, I would assume the newer coffins are the shorter ones. As for the cigars being newer or older, I have no idea. Hope that helps some.

I know there were a few different ways that these have been packaged (w/ humidor, in samper boxes, and in "normal" boxes at least.) My guess is that yours are from different "sets."

For what it is worth, the Don Carlos GoF that I smoked came out of a box of Don Carlos robustos and it was in the same sized coffin as the Carlito double robusto. It had a small piece of foam so the stick wouldn't bang around inside the coffin.

Andrew is right. I can only assume that one coffin is from the 2005 GOF robusto set, while the other came from the GOF cigar assortment set.

Rob

Thanks for the info, guys.

I didn't think there was anything funny going on, it just piqued my curiosity.

:)

Maybe they ran out of Robusto coffins and used a Dbl Robusto one. ???

Brian