• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Digital Cameras

Nice camera.

I am looking at the Nikon D-50. Great DSLR and it does not break the bank.

Will you be using it for Family photos only?

We will be using it for family photos, nature photos and a lot of different stuff. We are very pleased with it so far.

Congrats on your purchase of the XT! The kit lens ought to serve you well enough for the next year. The majority of shots on my website were shot with it, so I can't knock it too much. Happy holiday shooting!

good luck with your purchase. i would recommend you grab a sensor cleaning kit for the dust build up on CCD. it will happen no matter how careful you are, just a question of when. that is the largest drawback to a DSLR. Grab yourself a fast zoom when you can, great for portraits and those long shots of the kids, something like a 28-200mm f2.8 (i know Canon or Sigma has one in their lineup). If you are like me, i am a macro fan, so that was one of the first lenses i purchased, thena 50-200mm f2.8 zoom, 14-54 f2.8 wide zoom, better flash, backpack for all the gear, Bogen tripod with pan head, 6gb of memory, and filters and .....
have fun, and take lots of pictures!

PSTAN said:
Due to changes in the desire to take photos the wife and I have been looking in to replacing the family's digital camera. The Canon A70 we have still works great for our "general" pictures but the wife and I are getting more interested into taking better pictures, mostly the wife. We have had our current camera for some time and it is starting to have some problems, the warranty is out and we are looking to replace it. The wife is getting more into portrait photos and I lean more towards the outdoor wildlife stuff so something to be able to somewhat blend the two areas together would be the best for us. My wife is a big time Consumer Reports reader but I tend to think some of their opinions are skewed thus I have some questions for the camera buffs of the forum. I will be the first to admit that taking higher quality pictures is a big learning curve for me. :rolleyes:

It sounds like what you want is a digital SLR. That will give her plenty of room to add lenses, etc. You also absolutely want an off-camera flash (with soft box) and sync cord for portraits and such. Lighting is the number one thing that will make photos look good. On-camera flash blows.

What brands/models of digital cameras should we stay away from or really look into?

Nikon, Cannon, Kodak... all make good stuff. There is a huge market of lenses and attachments for Nikons in particular.

When it come to the optical zoom - digital zoom which is more beneficial?

Optical. Digital zoom is useless, it's essentially just the same thing you do in Photoshop when you zoom in.

11035943_1_detail.jpg