• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Direct Buy

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
As some of you may know, I'm buying a house. Woman and I will be moving from a one bedroom apartment with a collection of old Ikea furniture and some nice pieces that our mothers have willingly given us. So we will need some new furnature as well as cabinets for our (new) kitchen. We saw the ads for Direct Buy and are thinking or join it. Is anyone else here a memeber? I just wanted to get an idea of the quality and choices availible to us before we do the open house thing.

Jon... Put this in Google. "Direct Buy Ripoff report". Its too long for me to read it but it seems like it has some info within the first 5 searches that may help you with your decision. I am always leary (is that a word?) on joing programs that I see on TV, just because it always sounds too good to be true. Not saying this is the case here but I would just read over some of the google searches.

David

well it definatly sounds like if you dont need to redo a house or a room, then its not for you. However, it does sound like it is worth it if you plan on redoing a kitchen and buying furnature for a bedroom or something like that. I would like to know if the quality is good though and if you have complete or limited access to product lines. For thise who tired it out, what did you think? Hind-sight is 20/20

I would stay away from any business that asks for a large "membership" fee.
Look at used furniture, especially if you are in or near a military town.
You would be suprised at what you can find used, and a lot of the older pieces have more character, and have better
materials and construction than run of the mill current manufacture.
Another thing to consider is if you ever have children, nice new furniture is a goner.

With a $4500 membership fee, plus an 8% 'handling' fee on every order, you better be prepared to spend some money to make that up.

I had a friend flipping houses back in the good-old real estate bubble days. He bought a direct buy membership and it was definitely worth it for the volume of business he was doing with them. I don't think it makes sense though just to do your own kitchen unless your spending 30k or more.

Another thing to consider is timing. If you "have" to fill up the house completely within a week you are going to spend more money. Just like with anything else, if you can wait you will happen upon a deal on a couch, and then a few months later you can find a deal on something else you may be looking for. This is what I did when I made the jump from apartment to house and it not only allowed me to get good deals on the pieces that we did get, but it also felt easier on my wallet because I purchased things over a 2-3 year period. I however am a deal whore and love the thrill of the hunt, others are not. Just something to consider.

An old co-worker of mine went down to the local Direct Buy for the tour and propaganga... I mean, promotional info.. yeah, that's it.
Anyway, he told me that after the tour, you were forced to buy into the program either at full price right then, to finance the membership cost over 5 years or so, or never be given a membership in the future if you decide to try it down the road.

High pressure sales tactics and being given all the "benefits" up front in a flashy, candy-coated sales pitch work well on impulse buyers. Chances are if you aren't flipping houses, or doing a major renovation project, the money they claim you'll save by buying at wholesale cost plus membership will cost more than buying retail.

How many of us out there have gym memberships on a term contract that have "buyer's remorse" because we don't use it as often as we'd planned.

An old co-worker of mine went down to the local Direct Buy for the tour and propaganga... I mean, promotional info.. yeah, that's it.
Anyway, he told me that after the tour, you were forced to buy into the program either at full price right then, to finance the membership cost over 5 years or so, or never be given a membership in the future if you decide to try it down the road.

High pressure sales tactics and being given all the "benefits" up front in a flashy, candy-coated sales pitch work well on impulse buyers. Chances are if you aren't flipping houses, or doing a major renovation project, the money they claim you'll save by buying at wholesale cost plus membership will cost more than buying retail.

How many of us out there have gym memberships on a term contract that have "buyer's remorse" because we don't use it as often as we'd planned.

One thing i keep hearing is that if your not doing a major renovastion or buying a shit ton of furnature, then this isn't the thing for you. I am planning on on doing a serious renovation and buying a shit ton of furnature, so i think i'll try the open house. Sorry for any misspellings, went to the Buffett concert last night.