• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do I REALLY have to use Dupont butane in Xtends?

Danforz

Hey guys,

Retailer told me that I should ONLY use Dupont butane for my Xtend. Other butane refills may damage the refill valve and thus void the warranty...

BS? Or should I take is seriously? I'm planning on using Colibri/LAVA to refill otherwise.

When I purchased my Colibri lighter I was told the same sort of story bro.
I was told that I must use the Colibri brand gas as it has a dye in it that will show up if I use a different type of fuel, and the lighter is returned for a warranty repair.... The shop also is the only place around these parts that sell the Colibri gas (at 10 dollars a small tin).. :whistling: BS

I reckon it is all BS to get you to purchase their own brand fuel bro. A good triple filtered gas will do I reckon

Been using Colibri butane in mine for a year now. Works great still.

No, you don't have to use the brand-specific fuel. Any triple-refined fuel will work just as well, such as Lava or Vector. I've used these in my Xtend for a couple years and have had no problems. Just remember to bleed the lighter before refilling and you'll be fine.

Been using Vector as well....no issues at all.

I'm a lava guy, 5x distilled. I don't think the valves vary enough from brand to brand to matter. As long as you don't use ronson and keep it to 3x+ refinement, and bleed correctly, there are no foreseeable problems.

ETA: I'm pretty sure that that "dye" comment is BS, never heard of it. Also I'll have to check my cans, but I think an ingredients list needs to be printed on the can somewhere.

Well, according to Colibri;

"IMPORTANT: Be sure to use Colibri premium butane, and is instructed how to refill properly. Colibri premium butane is specifically designed for Colibri lighters. The canister is pressurized at 45 psi, and is the cleanest available. Use of other brands of butane with unknown pressures and levels of contamination will clog the butane feeding system, and affect the performance of the lighter."

'First I've ever heard of, of pressure being an consideration in butane purchases.
However, I could still care less.
Just use the highest filtered stuff you can find; no less than triple filtered IMO.

My personal opinion is that you should use only Dupont fluid in your Extend. I have had only two of these since they came out. One I use only Dupont fuel and the other I used Lava, almost exclusively. It could just be a fluke, but the one that I used Lava in has always had lower flame intensity and had problems with lighting on occasion.

As to the Colibri, they will only warranty replace their lighters if they have been filled with their own fluid, or at least that's what they did when I worked in a shop. They have a simple way to test what has come in and out of their lighters and they'll send it back and tell you that you didn't follow the warranty guidelines if you try to have it replaced or repaired. If I remember correct, there's some coloring in put in the fluid.

I use Lava in my Extend...works just fine.

Now my older Dupont....I use their fuel.

Having paid $150 for a lighter, I'm starting to think I may as well shell out the $8 for the dupont butane as opposed to the Colibri for $5...

I always use the Dupont in the Xtend. The reason is simplicity since the nozzle fits perfectly and I never have to bleed it. I fill it with Dupont fluid and it is ready to go.

My personal opinion is that you should use only Dupont fluid in your Extend. I have had only two of these since they came out. One I use only Dupont fuel and the other I used Lava, almost exclusively. It could just be a fluke, but the one that I used Lava in has always had lower flame intensity and had problems with lighting on occasion.

As to the Colibri, they will only warranty replace their lighters if they have been filled with their own fluid, or at least that's what they did when I worked in a shop. They have a simple way to test what has come in and out of their lighters and they'll send it back and tell you that you didn't follow the warranty guidelines if you try to have it replaced or repaired. If I remember correct, there's some coloring in put in the fluid.

With my Xtend, I find that the Dupont fluid burns weaker and gives me more issues then the 3x refined stuff that I have.

I just filled my X-Tend that I received for Christmas with Vector for the first time and it had a noticeably stronger flame than the fluid that was in it from the factory. One of the adapters on the Vector can also fit the X-Tend perfectly. Only time will tell I guess but it is a really great lighter so far.

Eh, I just went ahead and bout the Xtend fluid. Like I said: I paid $150 for the lighter, why stress over another $6 and take any chances?

I always use the Dupont in the Xtend. The reason is simplicity since the nozzle fits perfectly and I never have to bleed it. I fill it with Dupont fluid and it is ready to go.

Is there some type of special adapter on the Dupont fuel canister that bleeds the lighter for you or something? Why do you never have to bleed it?

I thought you only had to bleed when using a different brand butane? Should I bleed my xtend when filling it with xtend butane?

Always bleed, you get a better refill afterwards

Related question:

If I have been dumb enough to use junk fuel will my lighters clean themselves up if I switch to 3x or 5x refined fuel?