• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do you want your significant other to smoke?

Strayvector

Like what you smoke, smoke what you like
For those of you who wishes that your wife/girlfriend smokes cigars with you, a quick cautinary tale before you try to convince her.

A quick background. My wife and I are both ex smokers. When we were expecting our first child, we both quit smoking and haven't smoked cigarettes for about 7 years now. One of the things that we missed about smoking was the time that we would spend out on the patio chatting while having a cigarette or two.

About 4 years ago, I started smoking cigars and tried to get my wife to join me on several occasions. To her credit, she tried, but was never very enamored with the taste of cigars. This of course left me to smoke on my own or with the guys on poker nights. Then about 2 years ago, I discovered something known as ISOMs. Of course, I had heard plenty about this phenomenon, but never actually had the chance to partake in it until one fateful poker night. A buddy brought with him a few sticks to smoke while I was dutifully taking his money. In a fit of frustration, he handed me a stick and said, "Curse you! Smoke this and stop calling my bluffs". I looked at the stick and thought, "Wow, this is a beautiful looking smoke." It was a VR Unicos. Needless to say, it was the best cigar that I had ever smoked up to that point. True enough, that present ended up being a curse because although I kept winning his money that night, my buddy had just condemmed me to spending much more money than I had ever taken from him. The next day was the start of a new obsession. I took my winnings and immediately found a vendor and ordered a box of Unicos and to this day, it is still one of my favorite smokes.

So anyway, back to the wife thing. Once I started smoking Cuban cigars, I gradually lost interest in other domestics to the point that I've only smoked 2-3 non Cubans this past year. Of course with this great discovery, I tried to share it with my wife. She tried it, did not like it, thought that it was way too strong and in retrospect, I probably should not have started her off on a Unicos for her introduction to Cubans. Last year, on our 9th Anniversary, I handed her a Choix Supremes and told her that she had to try it so that we can once again share those patio days smoking. She lit it up, and WAM! She was hooked. She made me buy her a box of Choix Supremes just for her. Since then, she has gradually smoked other cigars in the humi and on certain occasions, prefers the stronger sticks like the Unicos and the BBF. Her current fave is also mine...the PSP2.

So now you're all thinking. "Hey, whatcha complainin' about. That's hella cool. Wife smokes cigars, you get to share this passion, and it's damn sexy when a Betty smokes a stogie." Yeah, yeah...that's all fine and dandy and...true. Well, here's the cautionary part. My job requires me to travel quite a bit and everytime I come home, I find my humidor a little lighter and always missing a few of my favorite sticks. :( It's now so bad, that when I get home from a trip, I have to do an inventory of the humi to figure out what I need to replace. She doesn't seem to get that there are sticks that need to age and some that are for special occasions. Oh well. So here's the big impact. Before she started smoking, I was spending about $150 USD a month on my habit. Now it's more than doubled (she stays home, I travel). Before, I get sticks for my birthdays and anniversaries, now SHE gets them. I've just put in a order for $500 USD worth of cigars for our 10th anniversary next Friday because SHE wants to try the Sublimes, Trinidad Robusto Extra, and Hoyo DC (go figure, she must still think that bigger is better...although in the case of the Trini, she's right :p ).

So all you men trying to get your significant other to smoke. Be careful what you wish for, it may come true. For me, it's still a dream. Can't wait to get back to the Tucson next week and share an evening of Havana Club mojitos and Trinidad Robusto Extras (among other things of course) with my wife of 10 years. :D :love: :D

Woah, I just had the conversation with my wife the other night. I was going to try to find somthing mild that she might like. I will think twice, but in the end will probably try to get her to join me. Thanks for the story.

Dan

Nice post! Thankfully I do not have a girlfriend, otherwise I wouldn't have ANY money for cigars. :laugh:

With my wife I would either get together and give her a quick lesson on the contents of the humidor, explain prices and such, and embark from there with the thing being a common enterprise, only with her as equal partner and with equal (or close to it) information.

The other tack would be to say, you can get yourself a humidor, I don't like sharing with the likes of you.

better yet, get her to join CP (only without revealing that she is your wife), and see how many people ask for boob pics!

Why don't you buy her a nice Humidor for your anniversary? As a wife of a cigar smoker 9and an occasional smoker myself) that would be the answer in my (I mean our..) house :D

It still has ot be a labor of love that you can share this awesome hobby with someone like that. Although it would suck to come home and see some of your best sticks or SWAP (sticks with a plan) gone.

K&P

...my wife has always been an evening cigarette smoker, and up till about a year ago, I wasn't a regular smoker; only enjoying a gar very occasionally. She has never smoked in our house, always heading outside for her evening smoke. So, in the past, she'd head out, and I....didn't. Now we both enjoy a little "decompress" time in the evenings, her with a cigarette and me with a gar. We've got a nice covered deck, so even in the winter, it's nice to be outside. It's gotten to where we both really look forward to our hour or so of "down time" in the evening.

She does not, however, tear through the humi contents when I'm not around..... :D

Regards - B.B.S.

Edited for sPelLiNg......

Nathan Rahl said:
Nice post! Thankfully I do not have a girlfriend, otherwise I wouldn't have ANY money for cigars. :laugh:
[snapback]226342[/snapback]​
So true. I think my girlfriend is trying to spend all my money so I wont have any left for cigars.

I dont want my wife smoking cigars. No way.

1. It would definately cut into my budget. You think she is going to smoke NCs. No way. She would want the best. Then the best lighter,case,cutter etc. NO way.

2.I like it when I am out with the boys smoking cigars or just spending alone time. You think she would let me relax. OH ! NO ! There will be things to do- take out the trash,can you walk the dog, why dont you pay attention to me.

Oh yeh,I realy want her around sucking the fun out of the enjoyment.

Cigars = peace and solitude

Wifes + Girlfriends = Why are you doing that pay attention to me or can you do this.

You make your desicion.

If it ever came to my g/f smoking cigars, I'd definitely give her a thorough speech on what is off limits and what is fair game. But knowing me, everything would be off limits :laugh: . Get your own damn humi :sign:

Excellent post man! You both have great taste! My girlfriend has been taking puffs off of my cigars lately since I let her try one of my Taboadas. She thought it was great. I have let her try several different kinds and the only ones she really likes are the ISOMs. I would like it if she started to smoke an occasional cigar, I would give her the best of what I have. I know I would be safe though because she is not the type that would get too into it. She can't fu(king sit still long enough to have one on a regular basis. And no way would she obsess like me!

I just talked to her on the phone and told her about this post and she says that she will be happy just taking puffs off of mine occasionally. That's cool as long as she'll hang with me while I smoke every once in a while.

You and your wife, Enjoy! :thumbs:

My wife always sits outside on the patio with me when I smoke, she occassionally will fire up a cigar. She likes HDM Excaliburs and generally keeps a few in the humi for times when she wants to light up during our nightly patio outings. On the plus side, my wife is very knowledgeable regarding the contents of my humi and cooler as far as what is off limits and what isn't. She enjoys me enjoying my hobby and helps out whenever possible. Whenever she is out shopping she will stop at a local shop and pick up a few sticks of something she knows I haven't had yet. She has done a complete 180 from when I first started this hobby. I actually wish she would smoke more often.

My girlfriend loves CAO Moontrace, I doubt she'll ever move on.

There's no way my wife would touch a cigar. I'm just happy she doesn't give me a harder time for smoking than she does.

I used to scold her for opening up a bottle of my good beer and then leaving half of it. I didn't mind her enjoying a beer now and then (so long as there was one left for me, of course) but I didn't want to have to watch it go warm and flat in her glass and then watch her pour it down the sink. I solved the problem by buying four packs of the 12oz bottles instead of the 16oz bottles.

RPB67 said:

1. It would definately cut into my budget. You think she is going to smoke NCs. No way. She would want the best. Then the best lighter,case,cutter etc. NO way.

2.I like it when I am out with the boys smoking cigars or just spending alone time. You think she would let me relax. OH ! NO ! There will be things to do- take out the trash,can you walk the dog, why dont you pay attention to me.

Wifes + Girlfriends = Why are you doing that pay attention to me or can you do this.

You make your desicion.
[snapback]226370[/snapback]​

ouch.

I guess i am one of the lucky ones. My wife has tried a cigar and did not find it all that enjoyable. But she will almost always sit out on the patio with me. She is also a major contributor to my habit. :D

RPB67 said:

You make your desicion.
[snapback]226370[/snapback]​

Including some decent cigars in a PIF would probably cut in to the budget, too, wouldn't it?

With your attititude, I'm amazed you're still married. I would have thought you'd be living la vida loca in some Casa Nova rented apartment by now.

My GF will help me smoke whatever I am smoking. To my surprise, she usually likes whatever I like, although she usually complains that they are too strong, or she coughs.

She comes with me to the cigar shops sometimes, and she usually picks out a few flavored stogies for herself. Blech.