• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do Your Tastes For Cigars Change ?

My tastes haven't changed much.  I still score my cigars at the local Texaco.  If there's anything out there better than a Philly Wine Grape Blunt, I haven't found it yet.

....... ;)

You still have Texacos? As I would tell my patients. ..can you tell me what year this is? :)

BlindedByScience said:
My tastes haven't changed much.  I still score my cigars at the local Texaco.  If there's anything out there better than a Philly Wine Grape Blunt, I haven't found it yet.

....... ;)
I just got a fresh batch in. I'll send you a couple Tom.....just make sure you post a review!

Jonesy said:

....... ;)
I just got a fresh batch in. I'll send you a couple Tom.....just make sure you post a review!

You rule, Jonesy...!!!..... :D

When I first started . . . well, actually, when I first moved up from drugstore Garcia y Vega bundles to actual tobacco shop cigars . . . I thought the RyJ Bully (and the slightly larger ring gauge Anniversario) were the be-all and end-all of smoking pleasure.  Used to go to every shop in town tracking them down!

Then a bit over a decade ago, I wandered into a tasting at a local B&M and they handed me a freakin' Ashton VSG Spellbound! I was completely blown away and started trying all kinds of new stuff, joined an online cigar forum and a few years later, this one . . . and yes, my tastes certainly changed over time.  But they haven't changed much in recent years---I like strong cigars with a good kick and lots of dark, spicy flavors.  Coffee bean flavors, for lack of a more descriptive term.

The San Cristobal Fabuloso has been my "go to" and favorite smoke for quite a few years now, pretty much since they first hit the market, and I like them as much as I first did every single time.  So much so that nearly everything else I smoke, aside from some beloved high enders like GOF and Lost City and VSG, I compare to them.  "Was it as good as a Fabuluso?"

Still try new stuff all the time.  But if it's not up to snuff, if it's just not strong enough, I find myself saying "Well, that was nice but I think it's time for a REAL cigar" and I go light up a San Cristobal.  :love: 

~Boar

For sure they do, and they will keep on changing.  I have my go-to ceegars, but I think it's good to mix it up!  That's one reason why passes are such a good idea, even though it's been a while since my last one :whistling:  .. you might find you like something that you otherwise would have never even tried.  Even if it's just for the sake of changing things up every so often

Around last November I had an anejo 48 or 49 sitting in my humidor for about a month or so. I got it off of holts cigar of the month club. Well I decided to try it because of how great they are supposed to be. I had only been smoking for a few months maybe 1 here and there. So I light this thing up and about the end of the first third I had to put it down and thought I was gonna be sick.

Now I said all of that to mention this. I smoked a anejo 50 a couple of days ago and it was truely one of the best cigars I have ever had. I can't wait to try the shark that I have sitting next to where the 50 was. Oh the difference a year makes. I wish I would not been fun shy from them for so long. Cheers brother and good luck in your quest as well.

I have been smoking cigars for decades.

Things I liked in the early years are too mild, or not flavorful enough for me now.

I always smoked large ring gauges and longer sizes. 

Now, I'm into stronger cigars, narrower ring gauges, and some shorter smokes.

Love lanceros, panatelas, coronas.

I have pretty much quit buying anything over 46, except for specialty such as God of Fire, Anejo, etc

It does seem to me that there used to be a good bit more coronas and smaller sizes available 20 years ago.

Today, I have to pretty much purchase over the internet, B & M near me do not stock any smaller ring gauges.

My tastes seem to change on a day-to-day basis, or is that my preferences? I think of cigars just like great food or good wine. One day you prefer to taste one flavor, the next day you prefer a different flavor. Some days you prefer to experiment, and other days you prefer to relax with a taste you know you love.

When I first started smoking cigars, I only smoked one brand for almost a year, and then I started experimenting. That is when I discovered the joy of cigar flavors. My choices today are based upon the mood of the day, what we ate for supper, whether I intend to have a drink with my cigar, and even what I am watching on TV. Thankfully, I have a couple nice humidors well stocked with variety.

My appreciation for milder cigars has certainly been growing ever since I started taking the hobby seriously and learned how to actually taste cigars.
I now favor medium and medium to full for the most part where before I favored full bodied smokes.

I bet many of us are halfway in between changing tastes and consistency. When I look in my humidor, I find my few trusted sticks filling up most of the space, but I have an area dedicated to variety, too. I sample different cigars every month searching for new favorites.

It is rare that I go through six months without rotating out one of those "trusted sticks" for a new best friend. My tastes have always stayed in the medium ranges, but I enjoy an occasional full-bodied cigar, too. I do buy some very light flavored cigars when we are entertaining guests who might wish to try an after dinner cigar. I like to give them the option of something light, medium, or full-bodied, and then watch their faces to see if they really understood what I meant.