• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Does it look too dry?

rawrr

I recently acquired a box of 2000 Punch RS No. 11.
I do not have much experience in aged cigars, so I cannot tell
if the cigars are ok or a little too dry?
What do you think?

gallery_6026_403_34317.jpg

gallery_6026_403_18137.jpg

gallery_6026_403_9230.jpg

gallery_6026_403_19011.jpg
gallery_6026_403_13503.jpg
gallery_6026_403_51773.jpg
gallery_6026_403_30107.jpg
gallery_6026_403_46354.jpg
gallery_6026_403_3729.jpg

It is impossible to answer your question based on those photos or pretty much any photo.

Do they feel springy and compliant to the hand? Does the wrapper not split if given a gentle squeeze? Do they have aroma?

The wrappers certainly look to be in good condition.

I would say put them in your storage unit, let them sit for 30-60 days and then give one a try. Alternatively, you could take one from the very middle of the bundle and smoke it. I recommend the middle because if the cigars tended to dry out in transit, then the ones in the center would be closest to the long term condition of the box as a whole. That would be your indicator as to condition. However, if the outer cigars have dried out considerably, then it's possible that they will have lost a little something.

Do you have any experienced cigar smokers in your area? If so, you might want to ask them to take a look.

Wilkey

I

Do you have any experienced cigar smokers in your area? If so, you might want to ask them to take a look.

Wilkey

Hi Wilkey,

Thanks for you advice.
Can you help me out???
I will send you this(RS 11), and a 00 HDM Epicure 1 (I suspect it is a little dry too) , and a 00 Punch DC (I think this one is in very good condition and a really great smoke).
I will mail it out later next week.
Thanks in advance.

I

Wilkey

Hi Wilkey,

Thanks for you advice.
Can you help me out???
I will send you this(RS 11), and a 00 HDM Epicure 1 (I suspect it is a little dry too) , and a 00 Punch DC (I think this one is in very good condition and a really great smoke).
I will mail it out later next week.
Thanks in advance.

That won't do anything except for do a good deed and send the resident Cigar Forensics Expert a free cigar.

The best thing to do (like Wilkey mentioned) is squeeze it gently. If it's indeed to dry, it won't have any give to it at all...just a crunchy sound. It should have a little spring to it and putting it in a humidor for a few weeks will easily bring it up to your preferred humidity level.

Rawrr,

I'd love to help but I don't even have the time to smoke my own sticks. :( BTW, I was thinking more that you'd bring one or the box to show someone in your physical vicinity. You want to do this reasonably quickly and without sending across country if you can help it.

Perhaps one of your local BOTL's can lend a hand?

Rob,

I'd be concerned if the cigars have been dry for an extended amount of time. Not whether they can be rehumidified.

This is one of the dilemmas of buying aged stock. In the vast majority of cases, one can obtain no assurances as to the comprehensive storage history of the box. It is truly a game of "rolling the dice."

Wilkey

BTW, I'm all for free cigars...but only if I can deliver something of value in exchange. In this case, I just don't have the time to help out AND I think diagnosis right there where you are is of greater importance.

BTW, I'm all for free cigars...but only if I can deliver something of value in exchange. In this case, I just don't have the time to help out AND I think diagnosis right there where you are is of greater importance.

Wilkey,

I actually have no intention of returning the cigars, so there is no rush to taste them.
I just want to learn something out of it.
I tried the squeeze test as suggested by you and indyrob, and I think they are not that crunchy.

Just treat them as free cigars, but in return, I would like to know how you think of them.
I think your opinion on the cigars definitely worth much more than the value of the cigars themselves.
Please don't rush to smoke them. When you have time, say in months, or even in YEARS,
please smoke them and if you can still remember me, PM me a word of "too dry"/"ok" is more than sufficient.

If you still don't feel comfortable about this, pls just treat them as a gratitude for your help last year.

Thanks.

It would be ungracious of me to decline such an eloquent appeal.

I will endeavor to give you my full and honest "one man's" opinion as quickly as I can.

Look for a PM with my information.

Wilkey

Nice play there Chun.
If you don't mind PM me the source you bought from, along with how long the shipping time took from notification of shipment. Were these vac. packed ect?

I finally fired one up this afternoon.

After the first puff, I knew I had made the wrong decision -- I didn't get enough of these!!!

Of course, there are some burn issues after the first half, but could be mainly due to the fact that
I didn't allow it to rest in the humidor.

I have to say that this aged RS #11 is way above my expectation.

Excellent!

Of course you realize that you no longer need send me anything.

Although if you do, I'll consider it a trade. :)

In any case, congratulations on the nice pickup. :thumbs:

Wilkey

I recently acquired a box of 2000 Punch RS No. 11.
I do not have much experience in aged cigars, so I cannot tell
if the cigars are ok or a little too dry?
What do you think?

How do they compare to your newer cigars?

What does age have to do with it.

if they smoke fast and hot...then they are likely to be too dry...no?

With my limited experience, I think I can pick up several distinct tastes on newer cigars.
But for this one, I can only pick up different waves of aroma. I can still "feel" the different flavors are encapsulated in each wave, but each individual flavor is not that distinct and sharp anymore. I do not mean it becomes less flavorful, but rather each wave of aroma is still very intense but remains harmonious.

And because the wave of taste keeps changing, the whole cigar experience becomes much more interesting.
For example, during the first 1/3, I feel it is very smooth and flavorful.
After second 1/3, it progresses gradually and becomes more intense without being pungent.
The last 1/3 is not good due to the burn issue.

I finished the smoke in about an hour. I don't think it is too hot.
I still think it is a little dry as two cigars have cracked wrapper at the foot,
but I am more than happy to keep them :laugh:

With my limited experience, I think I can pick up several distinct tastes on newer cigars.
But for this one, I can only pick up different waves of aroma. I can still "feel" the different flavors are encapsulated in each wave, but each individual flavor is not that distinct and sharp anymore. I do not mean it becomes less flavorful, but rather each wave of aroma is still very intense but remains harmonious.

And because the wave of taste keeps changing, the whole cigar experience becomes much more interesting.
After second 1/3, it progresses gradually and becomes more intense without being pungent.

I still think it is a little dry as two cigars have cracked wrapper at the foot,

Now you have an understanding of'flavor profile'....as I refer to it.

This cigar( as I have the 12)....is just as you describe it.

Now when you pick out some of the more subtle descriptors, almond or fruit, earthy or floral....you'll have rounded out the profile.

Very nice!

.......... I can only pick up different waves of aroma. I can still "feel" the different flavors are encapsulated in each wave, but each individual flavor is not that distinct and sharp anymore. I do not mean it becomes less flavorful, but rather each wave of aroma is still very intense but remains harmonious.

Huh....waves.....Huh.....flavor in waves.....huh.....I like it.

Chun,

I received your sampler a little while ago and today I smoked one of theRS11. Bottom line: I think you have some winners here. :thumbs: The cigar was well constructed with an almost suede-like colorado wrapper. It was perfectly filled for a slightly effortful draw that promotes taking one's time with it. Prelight was delicate and fresh with no hint of mustiness. That suggests these cigars were well-kept. The aroma from the lit end was highly aromatic, almost floral, and just delightful from beginning to end. The flavor was rich and full over a medium-bodied tobacco core. The profile was complex and quite elegant delivering about two significant changes over the course of smoking. The first half was a mellow and predominantly wood and leather while the second half saw sweeter, stronger tobacco come to the fore. Finish was tangy and long.

While I have not smoked many of the RS11, I do stock and enjoy the RS12, which I consider to be a bit more aromatic, concentrated, and even more pungent. I have to say, though, that this was an excellent cigar and worthy of pairing with a good Scotch. Most suitable as an evening cigar for those reflective times in solitude. In sum, nice pickup!

Thank you for sharing and for your kind consideration, my friend.

Wilkey