• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dollar Shave Club

2K6TBSS said:

I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to check it out.  Now that I've rejoined the Dark Side and shave more days than not for work, I may give it a go.  Do they do a double bladed option?  I like the regular old grey Sensor Excel.  It hasn't let me down for about as long as I've been shaving.

They do have a double blade option, I think it's only $1 a month.  The 4 blade option is $6 a month, and the 6 blade option is $9 a month.

I am thinking of going with the 4 blade option myself.

6 blades?!?

That thing must look like a parody of itself...

The Black Cloud said:
I guess I'm one of those penny pinching bastards that goes 6 months before replacing a blade. It still shaves, so why do I need to replace it?

That is my current way of shaving, but figure if I had a reminder to change the blades I would.  Having a fresh blade is much nicer though.

kann said:

I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to check it out.  Now that I've rejoined the Dark Side and shave more days than not for work, I may give it a go.  Do they do a double bladed option?  I like the regular old grey Sensor Excel.  It hasn't let me down for about as long as I've been shaving.

They do have a double blade option, I think it's only $1 a month.  The 4 blade option is $6 a month, and the 6 blade option is $9 a month.

I am thinking of going with the 4 blade option myself.

6 blades?!?

That thing must look like a parody of itself...

The shave is so close it removes the first 3 layers of skin...

Devil Doc said:
I already shave with the finest razor ever made. A Gillette adjustable Diplomat circa 1968 with Feather blades. I see no reason to change.

Doc
Doc,  You went back to the Classic Diplomat?  I thought you were sold on the Mergress? In fact you had me shopping for one for a while, never found one at a price I wanted to pay.

FWIW I love the Diplomat with feathers as well. I picked up an Above the Tie 5 piece set a while back and have been using the R2 head most frequently.  Feathers or Polsilver SI's seem to work the best for me.  I've been shopping for a Fatboy and an Aristocrat hopefully I can find one at a reasonable price.  

I did like the Mergress, but the damn mechanism wears out and the settings are not repeatable. The Diplomat is a much better razor.

Doc

Greggj77 said:
..............................  I've been shopping for a Fatboy and an Aristocrat hopefully I can find one at a reasonable price.  ....................................

What is a reasonable price?  Saw a couple of Fatboy's in the original package for sale on the net for around $90.  I am guessing that is on the high side?

http://stuccu.com

I was using Dollar Shave Club for my wife, but got tired of the handles breaking and the cartridges not staying on the handle. I cancelled, and I went with Harry's and its way better in my opinion. A bit more expensive, but the quality is there. 

golfgar said:

..............................  I've been shopping for a Fatboy and an Aristocrat hopefully I can find one at a reasonable price.  ....................................

What is a reasonable price?  Saw a couple of Fatboy's in the original package for sale on the net for around $90.  I am guessing that is on the high side?

http://stuccu.com

It depends on the condition.  $90 doesn't sound like a terrible price for a good set.  It might be beneficial to go to one of the shaving sites and post an ISO.  Many of the folks on those sites have way more razors than they need.  I know I do.

When I was posting regularly to smf.com we tried not to gouge each other so it may work out.

Get a safety razor and buy the blades on Amazon. $10 will last year 4 months changing the blade every day. I've never had a better shave. Also use a nice cream based after shave and I use Pinaud's shaving cream when I'm lazy or a nice lather of sandalwood feels great as well. 

There's only about 5 days a month I don't shave, due to the military regulations.

I've always wanted to give this a shot but didn't know much about it or anyone who had tried. Well, after reading this thread, I said what the hell. So I gave it a go.

I'll report back with my findings.
0f694db1e55cb291f66702ab1ac31295.jpg

bd8b583b2c94505140969fbbc8d047e8.jpg

Jezum Crow, Wyatt. I'd be happy to send you a real razor. I wouldn't shave with that razor if my life depended on it.

Devil Doc said:
Jezum Crow, Wyatt. I'd be happy to send you a real razor. I wouldn't shave with that razor if my life depended on it.
$10....worth a try.

I don't think I have enough time each morning for the safety razor concept.

I recently switched to the single blade old fashion safety razor and I'm loving it. I wanted to give it a go for awhile now and I'm glad I made the jump. Its the smoothest shave I have ever had. It was either make the jump or I was going to the Dollar Shave Club due to the high price for razors at the grocery store.

Brickhouse said:
$10....worth a try.
At the end of the day, most of us reading this have $10 on fire in our hands right now anyway. :)

There's one thing you multi-blade razor users have to understand. The lather lubricates your face, keeping the blade from damaging your skin. With a multi-blade razor only the first blade is lubricated. The next four of five, or whatever, don't get any lube. So your face suffers. That's why you get razor burn, shave bumps etc. And let's not forget about ingrown hairs.

Doc

Devil Doc said:
There's one thing you multi-blade razor users have to understand. The lather lubricates your face, keeping the blade from damaging your skin. With a multi-blade razor only the first blade is lubricated. The next four of five, or whatever, don't get any lube. So your face suffers. That's why you get razor burn, shave bumps etc. And let's not forget about ingrown hairs.

Doc
I can't belive I never thought of that. I used to get very bad burn with the Mach and now with the single blade it is perfect with no burn.

Paul

Yeah, the only time I have skin issues with my safety razor is when I don't shave for a week.  Then I may have to go a second or third pass with the blade.  Never dawned on me that was the reason.