• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Domain name registration

BkCloud114

I hate Moochers !!!!!
OK guys, I need a little help. I am looking to register a couple of domain names and start up a small website. Problem is, I don't know too much on how to do it. I know that I can go to a place like godaddy.com and search to see if they are available (3 out of the 4 are available). How do i set up a website. Should I use the same company's resources to start the website or am I gonna get ripped off ? I am trying not to just use anybody that pops up with a Google search.

Any other domain registration site out there....

I have...
www.godaddy.com
www.register.com

Thanks

I use godaddy for my hosting. I just have the basic service and I am spending like 45 bucks for the next two years of service. Buy a year at a time and it is pretty cheap. There are probably better services out there, but I dont need much space and godaddy has been giving me some great deals when my domain is up for renewal so I stick with them.

http://www.wood-family.us Not much there at the moment, just some photos and such for relatives in the lower 48 to look at.

To make the site I use Microsofts Frontpage and Coppermine for the photo album. Godaddy does have a website builder that you could use and there are a number of other programs out there. No real knowlege of html is needed, just type and add pictures like you would in a word processor, hit the upload button and you are set.

The coppermine photo album software is free and pretty easy to set up. The instructions and resources on their website are pretty easy to follow. Hardest thing for me was setting up a database and even that was painless.

I'd register through Godaddy and just use them for hosting, too. Unless there's someone on here that's well known and does hosting.

Finding a hosting company is like a newb buying cuban cigars. There's so many crappy, multiple-level deep resellers out there that you have no idea what you're getting into. Godaddy is fairly well know, and although I'm sure you'll find some bad stories about them somewhere, I don't think you can go wrong just sticking with them for the business.

---John Holmes...

I used godaddy when I had my fantasy football site a couple of years ago. I had no complaints.

You have a Mac, right? (sorry if I 'm confusing you with someone else. all the Mac talk around here lately...) Doesn't Apple have a whole website thing you can use? If so, that might be an option.

I registered through Godaddy, because frankly they had the best pricing. I then opperate my own server. If Rod is offering space, or someone like him, and you can meet their traffic requirements/restrictions, go for it. If you want registration, Mail and Hosting, you're probably not going to find a better price than at one of the bundlers like godaddy.

Used the Daddy. They have great servers that will rarely if ever go down. The pricing is lower than most with them as expressed already. :cool:

Scott

I use DogBark for webhosting and FYIINC for domain registration. Dogbark has excellent customer service, whether you're an experience web designer or just want to put up a site and need some help.

If you'd like to chat about setting up a site, I'd be happy to email, I've designed about a dozen sites.

I have operated and hosted domains since the early 90's, from operating my own ISP, to buying service from a low cost provider like I am now. I bought space from Godaddy a few months back, just to see. I HATED it! It might be a good deal for you Tommy, and for others who are doing this for the first time, but their interface is just alien to me. Its too late to untrain me from a typical FTP interface. The moment I signed up, I got bombarded by emails, generated and personal asking me if I was having problems. YES, THIS INTERFACE SUCKS!!!! They didn't know what to do with me. I never could figure out what to do with it, nor could I get a human to walk me through it, so I cancelled. If you care about your domain and plan to keep it for a while, register it exclusive of your provider.

Tommy, I have a great deal of experience and have been stable with my current provider for about 3 years now. They aren't angels, but I can cope. I'd be glad to help you out, but its way too much to type.

Over the last 5 years I've had good success with POWWEB. YMMV. Let me know if you'd like any further info.

Don't use the same domain and web hosting sites - you put all your stuff with one company and you can really get screwed if something goes wrong, and you end up paying more for less.

MyDomain is what I have always used for domain hosting (free domain hosting, forwarding, etc.) - they host the domain (you register though their registrar), but you still own the name - unlike some other places that will retain the domain name if you cancel. They offer hosting services, but it's not worth it compared to other hosts (not to mention what I just said above :) )

I use LunarPages for web hosting (~$85 a year for a lot more stuff more than most places will charge double for), never had much of a problem aside from occasional mail/web downtimes during maintenance, etc - usually never more than a couple minutes at worst. They offer tons of scripts so you can easily set up a site in minutes, even with no experience.

Stay away from GoDaddy - they will pull your site down if someone complains about it, even if they have nothing to do with it, without first contacting their own customer (someone claims a copyright violation about something they do not hold the copyright for, etc.).

As I said, like a newb buying cuban cigars online. ;)

There are a few things to remember as you go through this to reduce how much you may get screwed.

1. Registering a domain name and hosting a web site are two different things. They don't have to be done through the same company.
2. When you register your domain name, ensure you have complete control over the Nameservers the domain points to. The name servers point to the hosting company that's running the server for your site. You want complete control of this so you can change hosting companies whenever you need or want to. If you go through Godaddy and simply register the domain, you get a login and password to where you can change the name servers at any time.
3. Always keep a local copy of your site. This way, you can terminate with a hosting company and not have to worry about getting things off the server. you can move to another, upload your files, change your name server and you're done. You should never be tied to a specific hosting company.

---John Holmes...