• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Done using a humidor!

YellowSmoke

Hey guys, I am a new member in this forum and a fairly new cigar smoker. I however have done lots and lots of reading and researching on this very topic. I HATE using my humidor! I have a couple of diamond crown humidor that I have properly seasoned (used seasonning packs) but when I use them to store my smokes no matter what humidification method I use it makes my smoke dry! My hygrometer indicate the righ RH (68-72) and I used the salt test to insure the integrity of the hygro! I have used foam, beads, pucks and gels! To no avail... The only thing that I can see Is maybe passive vs active humi. I am concerned because I have recently placed an order for an aristocrate end table... :( scared that my smoke wont turn out "perfect".
As of right now this is how I get a "perfect" stick either use a ziplock bag or a Tupperware... Load it with 25ish stick put 1 get stick wait about 2 weeks and they are good to go! The cigar is spongy not crackeling when I press them between my thumb and index. The down side of this method is that I need air the bag from time to time, if I dont I'll get a wet unsmokable stick. Wet stick are still better IMHO all I have to do is let them sit for a day in my cigar caddy and they turn out great! On the other hand when the other hand when I use the diamond crown they are a little dry and crackle, they give out a perticular dry cigar taste and I HATE it!!!

Any suggestion to "cure" my diamond crowns? Will I have the same issue with the aristocrate?

Thanks!

Coolerdor. Done.
NOOOOOOOO... Please don't tell me that after I ordered a Aristocrat End Table. ???
Any suggestions with what I got right now? and what I should do when the End Table comes in? Again I have check and double checked the "break in" procedure with new humidors and cabinets :(

Your new end table will probably work fine. The DC humis probably leak. Keep them for dry boxing. Still, get a cooler and fill everything up :)

Will

Send the diamond crowns and end table to me. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your new end table will probably work fine. The DC humis probably leak. Keep them for dry boxing. Still, get a cooler and fill everything up :)

Will

Yes! good idea I'll keep the older one as a Dry Box and get rid of the newer one!
As far as the leak I have done the "Dollar Bill" test on all side of both humidor its fine, I have went even as far as the "Flashlight" test its also fine =(. Would love to get a cooler, its just ugly, I am hopping that the Aristocrat turns out great!

Not a bad idea! let me get to know you guys a little more and establish myself here first and I will trade with someone here! Its a brand new Humidor! I am sure someone out here could use a DC in exchange for some smokes =)

http://www.diamondcrown.com/alexander.php
90 count

Will

Yes! good idea I'll keep the older one as a Dry Box and get rid of the newer one!
As far as the leak I have done the "Dollar Bill" test on all side of both humidor its fine, I have went even as far as the "Flashlight" test its also fine =(. Would love to get a cooler, its just ugly, I am hopping that the Aristocrat turns out great!

Not a bad idea! let me get to know you guys a little more and establish myself here first and I will trade with someone here! Its a brand new Humidor! I am sure someone out here could use a DC in exchange for some smokes =)

http://www.diamondcr...m/alexander.php
90 count

It may be ugly but it they work perfectly! Keep a small humi for display if you're concerned about looks and store the majority of your smokes in the cooler, you wont be disappointed. Plus you'll have your aristocrat so, no worries about looks! Who could complain about more room for cigars?! :thumbs:

Will

http://www.diamondcr...m/alexander.php
90 count

It may be ugly but it they work perfectly! Keep a small humi for display if you're concerned about looks and store the majority of your smokes in the cooler, you wont be disappointed. Plus you'll have your aristocrat so, no worries about looks! Who could complain about more room for cigars?! :thumbs:

Cannot Argue with this Sir!

I'm not seeing a reason to why your desktop humidors would be doing that though. Maybe reseason your humidor and put a bowl of water or sponge in it instead of the packs. Then use the packs after seasoning. I have two inexpensive desktop humidors and use the boveda packs without a problem.

I own an Aristocrat end table and LOVE IT. You won't be disappointed. I'm guessing that your problem is that you open your humidor WAY TOO MUCH! keep it closed so it will stabilize and hold humidity. Humidity packs, beads, and even gel will work just fine if you're not the cause of your own problem.

Jason

Edit: your ≠ you're LOL

I own an Aristocrat end table and LOVE IT. You won't be disappointed. I'm guessing that your problem is that you open your humidor WAY TOO MUCH! keep it closed so it will stabilize and hold humidity. Humidity packs, beads, and even gel will work just fine if your not the cause of your own problem.

Jason

Oh... oh! You might have nailed it!
I do open my humidor quite a bit as opposed to a ziplock or a tupperware as they are see thru.
Dang you might be onto something!

@Jason how many boxes can you fit in the end table? I currently have about 15ish, can I actually fit 30-40 of them?

THANKS GUYS

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=68407 I currently have 33 boxes of smokes in my humidor. I have room for another 15 boxes on the top shelf alone. I 3 rows 5 boxes high and can fit another 3 rows (just on the top) I have room for about 5-10 more boxes on the bottom depending on the size of box or cab. With some good Tetris skills, I can fit ~60 boxes or so.

Jason

http://www.cigarpass...showtopic=68407 I currently have 33 boxes of smokes in my humidor. I have room for another 15 boxes on the top shelf alone. I 3 rows 5 boxes high and can fit another 3 rows (just on the top) I have room for about 5-10 more boxes on the bottom depending on the size of box or cab. With some good Tetris skills, I can fit ~60 boxes or so.

Jason

Man! I have ordered the EXACT same humidor! Wow cool! Very nice indeed, now I know why every retailer I hit is out of stock on the Ramone Allones. I am dying to buy a box of these!
Could you do me a favor, since I am getting the exact same thing, do you have any pointers or tips for me when I set mine up so it will be perfect like yours? Pretty please!

Thanks for sharing

EDIT:
We also have the same phone?! Weird!

http://www.cigarpass...showtopic=68407 I currently have 33 boxes of smokes in my humidor. I have room for another 15 boxes on the top shelf alone. I 3 rows 5 boxes high and can fit another 3 rows (just on the top) I have room for about 5-10 more boxes on the bottom depending on the size of box or cab. With some good Tetris skills, I can fit ~60 boxes or so.

Jason

Man! I have ordered the EXACT same humidor! Wow cool! Very nice indeed, now I know why every retailer I hit is out of stock on the Ramone Allones. I am dying to buy a box of these!
Could you do me a favor, since I am getting the exact same thing, do you have any pointers or tips for me when I set mine up so it will be perfect like yours? Pretty please!

Thanks for sharing

EDIT:

Is Bob that made your Humi a member of CP? I wonder if he posts here or not in the retailers forum. Alot of guys seem to love his work. Lots of free advertisment!

Wish I found CP and knew of Bob before i bought my humi!

Paul

You'll love your Aristocrat. I've had mine for going on five years now, and it's fantastic. I had Bob build me a custom one to fit an existing space I had in our previous home:

http://www.cigarpass...5_604_12871.jpg

http://www.cigarpass...5_604_27343.jpg

http://www.cigarpass...5_604_45599.jpg

It's got three Pelt coolers and two humidification cans. Rocks 68F / 65% stable as a rock. RH runs up a little in the summer when the forced air heat is off, but I have sacks of beads in the cabinet that keep things under control. I smile every time I open it up..... :thumbs:

Yes, Bob is a CP member but I can't recall seeing him around for a while. I will tell you he's one of the nicest guys to talk to you'll ever meet.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Edited: Pardon the mess - my humidor and a bunch of my other "treasure" was piled in my smoking room while we had an epoxy floor poured in our garage.....

Jason

Thanks for sharing

EDIT:

The 1st tip that I can give you is DON'T open it every 5 minutes :laugh:. When you get your humidor, season it for at least 5 days, this also means DON'T mess with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I typically see a ~4-5% humidity difference from top shelf to the bottom (don't stress about it!) it's no big deal 65% on top and 70% on the bottom. I have mine set for 67% humidity and it holds at 65.5%. Don't push your boxes on the top shelf all the way to the back as it will block the humidifier. There's really not much to it as it really is a set it and forget it humidor.

Stop talking about Aristocrats! I want one! :)

Just pull the trigger, that's all it takes LOL

Jason

Thanks for sharing

EDIT:

The 1st tip that I can give you is DON'T open it every 5 minutes :laugh:. When you get your humidor, season it for at least 5 days, this also means DON'T mess with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I typically see a ~4-5% humidity difference from top shelf to the bottom (don't stress about it!) it's no big deal 65% on top and 70% on the bottom. I have mine set for 67% humidity and it holds at 65.5%. Don't push your boxes on the top shelf all the way to the back as it will block the humidifier. There's really not much to it as it really is a set it and forget it humidor.

Stop talking about Aristocrats! I want one! :)

Just pull the trigger, that's all it takes LOL

Thanks!
I just got more of the boxes I ordered a while back, now its just a waiting game! The aristocrat cannot come sooner!

You'll love your Aristocrat. I've had mine for going on five years now, and it's fantastic. I had Bob build me a custom one to fit an existing space I had in our previous home:

http://www.cigarpass...5_604_12871.jpg

http://www.cigarpass...5_604_27343.jpg

http://www.cigarpass...5_604_45599.jpg

It's got three Pelt coolers and two humidification cans. Rocks 68F / 65% stable as a rock. RH runs up a little in the summer when the forced air heat is off, but I have sacks of beads in the cabinet that keep things under control. I smile every time I open it up..... :thumbs:

Yes, Bob is a CP member but I can't recall seeing him around for a while. I will tell you he's one of the nicest guys to talk to you'll ever meet.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Edited: Pardon the mess - my humidor and a bunch of my other "treasure" was piled in my smoking room while we had an epoxy floor poured in our garage.....
Ohhh pretty! Thank you for sharing, I have a question why do have ziplock bag within the humidor, as I use them as humidor I found out that they hold humidity pretty well. I guess what I am trying to find out is how do the cigars in that bag get humidity?

I remember hating dealing w a bunch of coolers and small humidors. Having all your cigars in one place is the way to go. You will like your cabinet I'm sure.