• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don't always know what I got.

ZippoVette

I'm still in the stage of buying whatever I find that I have not yet tried.

If I like it, I look it up here, and read about it.

Trouble is, my shops don't always have cigars in their respective boxes. It's sometimes hit or miss.

This past weekend, I grabbed an AVO. There's not alot of info on the tube to ID what I have.

How do you guys know what's what? Just experience?

You can take a measurment of the cigar in question and try to look it up on the Top25 Cigar website HERE

Trouble is, my shops don't always have cigars in their respective boxes. It's sometimes hit or miss.
What the hell...?? I've never heard of such a thing. Time to find another shop, IMHO.

Regards - B.B.S.

What the hell...?? I've never heard of such a thing. Time to find another shop, IMHO.

Regards - B.B.S.

I agree with BBS - I've seen some shops consolidate a few leftovers sticks of one size into the box of a different size of the same brand (usually laying on the flipped up lid), but never like you describe. Hell, even most gas stations keep their different white owls in their own boxes...

Anyways, though, several of the larger online retailers have pics of each type of cigars (Jrs, Famous, CI, etc.). Search through a few brands until you've found what you've got.

Allot of knowing whats what is simply experience, because everyone has a different tastes in cigars the only way you can learn what is the best for you is to smoke it. Of course you can read reviews and get guidance, but that isn't to say that you wont read a review and completely disagree. I can't tell you how many times Ive picked up a cigar magazine looked at their ratings and gone, What? So of course there is a learning factor but smoking time, aka practice, is the best way to figure it out.

happy smoking,

Dios de fuego

Experience. You gotta smoke around and find out what you like. That's why there are a 1000 different cigars out there. Enjoy it! :)

When I'm trying cigars out, I get two of each to make sure if I like or dislike. Buying one of a kind is hit or miss. If you have a good one you wish you would have gotten two. If it was bad you can also confirm it at the time.

Retailers that mix inventory are a no visit for me. Usually when they get to only one cigar they pull them and make a grab bag. Only time they will leave one cigar in a box is on the higher end cigars.

Good luck with finding cigars you enjoy. That's what it is all about :thumbs:

This is what I always recommend to new cigar smokers who come into the shop and aren't sure what they will like:

1. Always buy 2. You'd be amazed how many times I don't like a cigar, then try the second one a little bit later and I realize I actually do like it.

2. Save all your bands. When you smoke a cigar, tape it in a notebook and rate what you do and don't like about it. (I had a 1 - 5 scale for taste, draw, ash, appearance, and overall experience) Or just write how much you like a cigar on the back of the bands. I LOVE it when someone comes into a shop and hands me a band saying "I really like these, what else do you have like them?" 99% of the time I can pick a winner for them.

Although it can kill your budget if you're not careful, cbid is a great resource for picking up cheap fivers of cigars. Try one or two, then let the rest sit for a while. Try them again in 6 months. I rarely pay over $15 for a fiver of cigars, and usually I pay under $10.

Great advice guys. Thanks.

I should learn to read the tubes better...when I got home I read the tube AVO "Robusto" was the name on it.

As for the unorganized shop...I went back in, and it's much better. It's a beverage center as well, in a college town, and when I went there on a Friday night...well you get the idea.

Went back Monday night, and all looked good...picked up another AVO Robusto.