• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Drew Estate Undercrown and NC cigars (in general)

I watched this video a while back. I'd have to agree with their assessment. It is a 3 dollar cigar selling for much more. I'd rather smoke something from Llaneza for 3 bucks. (Llaneza's blends age well, btw). I know he is in the business of selling cubans, and have not made a decision concerning his overall objectivity, but in this case, he nailed it.

Regarding a blanket statement of Nicaraguans not being complex, that, of course is an opinion, (if I am faking objectivity  :D ) but really a load of crap.
I see this most often after folks started trying to emulate Pepin. They would get that pepper or spice component, but the cigar would be unbalanced and basically predominantly one dimensional with some putrid undertones.

Pepins original smokes were complex, bursting with Cedar, spice, cinnamon, honey, wood (not cedar, but more like oak you get from spirits), earth, etc.
After PROPER aging, some really evolve to tremendous complexity. (to me proper aging is 69% or above humidity to avoid loss of oleoresins. This is a fact)

Try aging a Oliva Serie G Robusto for a few years at 69-70%. I have found them to be tremendously delicious, where every draw pops with a multitude of flavors.
The old Grand Cameroon was even more spectacular. (They claim the recipe did not change...I call bullshit). IMO, Oliva and Pepins old smokes were the best Nicaraguan candidates for aging. Pepins double binder is a major factor here. If you let the oils slowly evaporate, like aging at 65, you will wind up with a very monotonous smoke. This begins to happen fairly quickly; like after a couple of months. The reason cigar manufacturers post roll age 3 months is because that's how long it take for the oleoresins to migrate and marry. The humidity aids in this migration, and of course, preservation.

I do love Cuban Tobacco. For my tastes, it is the absolute best. Problem is, the regular lines are not processed properly. I have derived a lot more pleasure from the EL and RE offerings. The standard lines are also not as complex as FOH is making out. A one or two dimensional smoke can be enjoyable if it is delicious. Also, folks habits of aging these at 65% is one reason why I think that some say that they all taste the same after a few years. (I also think controlled quasi-airtight aging is the ultimate for preservation of oils and flavors/complexity. I.e., an occasional air exchange, like once or twice a month, min)

A tip to some of the newer smokers. You HAVE to learn to smoke a cigar slowly. Light it properly by not charring the tobacco. I use wooden matches, or a soft flame lighter to light. I warm the tobacco, i.e., I DO NOT try to get a full red glow before bringing it up to the draw light. Hell, make it a ritual. A 15 or 20 buck opus, Fuente, or Cuban is certainly worthy of some anal retentive, ritualistic lighting.

I smoke slowly, and puff three times for each interaction. Two tiny, shallow puffs to get the ember full, and one nice slow, gentle, draw to saturate the palate. If you overheat the tobacco, it chars, and creates combustion nasties. If you keep the tobacco immediately behind the ember, and the the rest of the barrel of the cigar, as cool as possible, you caramelize the Tobacco. This is akin to burning vs caramelizing Mirepoix or Garlic in cooking. Once it is overheated, and you pull that through your cigar, it is basically too late. This caramelization adds to complexity, and charring leads to one dimensionality.
A purge or two may help to a degree, but in my experience, it is ruined. A note on Purging, you can also bring the flame up to near the ember and it will act like a flame thrower as you GENTLY blow through the cigar. This helps draw out the nasties. Sometimes you can see the color of the flame change. As soon as it does, stop.

I'm seeing a slew of anti-cuban propaganda lately. (And vice versa as non-cubans break into Cuban dominated markets.) A lot of vendors who can't legally sell cubans are trying to capture that cash flow. Overstated warnings of counterfeits, (really ridiculous percentages) Etc. They are trying to scare folks. I find it insulting, dishonest, and desperate. I am also curious if they are concerned about the political climate which shows some cracks in the Embargo starting to form. They are going to take a short, but heavy beating if, and when, the Embargo drops. I always try to gauge if the reviewer has ulterior motives in his criticisms. I also watch how they smoke, and if they really know how to properly smoke a cigar. I also want to know how long they've had it, and in what conditions it was stored. (most fail on all counts)