• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

DSL vs Cable

wam79

My new place will has cable TV included. Now I have a package for cable and Road Runner from the local cable co. If I take the free cable I will be paying $50+ for the internet.
My question is will DSL be much slower than the Cable?
Which access do you have?
If the DSL is good enough I could find other uses for the money I would save :D

Bill

Bill

Can't speak for other area's, here the DSL is 768 u/d, Cable is 1000 u & 568 d and $20 a month more. I went with DSL. Unless you're doing a lot of music dl or DVD's the extra money isn't worth it to me.

It all depends on what you're doing online.

I went with cable as I like on line gaming and I get the lowest ping with cable. DSL is not very good in my city as I hear people complaining about it often. Some DSL companies also have size restrictions on downloads, so if you're downloading music and video as Wascal said, go with cable.

Good luck! :D

I use DSL at home and my office uses SBC DSL also, it works great for half as much as cable, my parents have Roadrunner, and I really can't tell much difference between the two, for the money DSL is worth it, unless you don't want a phone line. :)

Bill, the only drawback with DSL is you must be within 12000 feet of the connection office. Talk to your local phone company and find out where the connection office is located in relationship to your new place.

Aloha

Jim

Cable is faster than regular DSL.
Cable is shared (BOOO)
DSL is dedicated (Yay!!)

In our area they are priced similar, but you can upgrade your dsl in certain parts, ADSL is much faster but a lot more expensive.

Cable is better for basic high speed.

BrownDevil said:
DSL is dedicated (Yay!!)
Incorrect......Business DSL is dedicated bandwith, Residential DSL is not and is oversubscribed just like cable.

Bill -

DSL should serve your purpose if it is available. Your actual signal quality will depend on how far you are from LEC's Central Office

beg to differ my fine feathered friend, I've lived in San Jose, CA and now Mesa, AZ and here and there residential dsl was dedicated :D

I hope me disagreeing with you doesnt get me kicked from the "To receive a monte EL" list :0

In my area, cable and DSL are pretty even. But since I don't have a need for a phone line, I went with cable/Roadrunner.

BrownDevil said:
beg to differ my fine feathered friend, I've lived in San Jose, CA and now Mesa, AZ and here and there residential dsl was dedicated :D

I hope me disagreeing with you doesnt get me kicked from the "To receive a monte EL" list :0
Well in REAL cities like NYC residential DSL is not dedicated :0 :sign:

I'd have to agree that unless you have the need for speed, DSL will work fine for you if you are in an area that can get it.

I just signed up for SBC DSL service and the cost was $29.00 per month. This is the first time I have had anything but regular dial up. The cost is about 1/2 of what cable would cost in this area. I thought this was probably a better deal than cable since I don't often download much.

Is this about the going rate around the country?

Ive got adelphia broadband Cable.... It freaken rocks.... wouldn't give it up for the world. I do a alot of gaming soooo the cable is the right choice for me...

golfgar said:
I just signed up for SBC DSL service and the cost was $29.00 per month. This is the first time I have had anything but regular dial up. The cost is about 1/2 of what cable would cost in this area. I thought this was probably a better deal than cable since I don't often download much.

Is this about the going rate around the country?
Verizon DSL in NYC is $35 for the 1st 6 months then $40 thereafter

Atleast in my area, speed vs price makes DSL the best choice. I've had both and the difference in speed isn't worth the added expense. :)

In Houston, SBC DSL is $27 a month for as long as you want, and I have a $12 phone line, so it's still cheaper than the cable here.

I just bought Doom3 and I'm glad I have cable! This game is friggin insane!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread...... :sign:

Fast4Dr said:
It depends on what you mean. DSL certainly does not have the same trunk topology that cable does. If you mean that all of the DSL connections go into a shared bandwidth pool at the ISP, then yes, that's possible.

DSL vs. Cable is like Ford vs. Chevy. It depends on the DSL, and it depends on the cable. There are different DSL variants, and different cable variants. Look at the specifics of each offering in terms of both upstream and downstream bandwidth, any bandwidth caps, etc.

Neither technology is inherently better at the other at anything (bandwidth, latency, etc).

Fast4Dr said:
BrownDevil said:

I wish I could spell the noise I just made when I saw that statement.
San Jose not a real city???
That's where technology comes from :p Silicon Valley ?

:thumbs:

Back