• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dye Jobs

What? No experience with Nancy Grace?

:p

Nope, can't say I've even heard of her. Does she just dye the hair on her head or does she try to match the carpet to the drapes? :whistling:

I knew a Leslie Grace once. No dye that I knew of on her, but her nipples were HUGE!! I also knew a Nancy Gray, but she was a natural blond according to all of my "research"...

:sign:

:laugh:

The two cigars that come to mind are La Perla Habana Maduro and Perdomo....

I'm topping this with some additional info. A friend pointed me to JR's Cigar University where I got this:

Now it is time to introduce two other methods implemented to create Maduro wrappers. The first is "cooking," which more accurately described is actually steaming. In this process, the leaves are placed within a steam chamber for a period of 60-120 minutes and steamed at 180+ degrees Fahrenheit. The result is a very dark wrapper that is very consistent in color. Some hold in contempt this method, but actually this is the method that is most commonly used to create the wrappers used on most of the milder Maduro cigars. Although this is a much simpler and shorter process, the maker has to be vigilant, as it is possible to overcook the leaf resulting in a dull, flat-tasting wrapper with a silvery, gray appearance. The other alternative method is dying the leaves the desired dark brown color. This is done in a variety of ways - from sluices, vats, to even a machine that is snidely referred to as the "Madu-O-Matic" by those in the trade. This machine can "create" Maduro wrappers at a blazing pace and, typically, makers will add sugar to the molasses-like dye to sweeten the flavor of the leaf. This process is considered "cheating" by many in the industry, and is held in low regard by many traditional tobacco men. As a consumer, it is easy to detect whether your Maduro cigar is a faux, because most dyed Maduro cigars will actually leave a slight brown stain right on lip of the smoker.

Thanks for the bump NullSmurf.

The Padilla made maduro Obsidian that they make for CI stained my fingers, lips, and even the ashtray. It was a really good smoke, but that turned me off. The thought that they could be dyed crossed my mind, but I'm not sure that such a fine manufacturer would stoop to that level.

I've smoked a few of these and never had that problem. Strange.

I know this thread is a bit old but I came accross a definate dye job today...

Aspira maduro by Nestor Plasencia. Not only did the dye remain on the ash, you could tell the wrapper looked like it had been spray painted, and turned my fingers brown with a little rub.

Any other dye jobs out there?

I know this thread is a bit old but I came accross a definate dye job today...

Aspira maduro by Nestor Plasencia. Not only did the dye remain on the ash, you could tell the wrapper looked like it had been spray painted, and turned my fingers brown with a little rub.
That’s too bad because I have a bid on an Aspira 5 Cigar Sampler, all maduro. I guess I won’t be as heart broken if I’m outbid. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Only one cigar has made my fingers turn brownish, the Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve. I hope its not a dye job, and if it is, it's a rather tasty dye.

I heard the very same thing about Rocky, but with an Edge maduro. I found it to be UNTRUE....I sat with a rep from Rocky and examined the Edge and the Old World.

I'm topping this with some additional info. A friend pointed me to JR's Cigar University where I got this:
I never knew this was done, I'm amazed. That's like genetically modified dope. :laugh:

I hope Fuente do theirs the good old fashioned way :whistling: I'd like to think I'm smoking the real deal and not a modified stick. They are great either way, I would just feel better, not sure why though :blush:

Brian