• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dynamics of proper cigar lighting

Kento

Would all you FOG's agree that an improperly lit, larger ring cigar will tend to burn unevenly? Or more to the point, my cigars burn evenly because I suck at lighting the damn things? I always thought that cigars that burn badly was the fault of the cigar, but as I smoke my first Monte #2, I am beginning to think otherwise now. Any thoughts, or finer points of cigar lighting?

Kento

I think that more of a big deal is made about lighting than there should be. If a cigar has stems in it or is poorly constructed, it's going to burn crooked even if you lit it perfectly.

Havanas on average are better constructed than most cigars and far more less likely to have stems and/or veins that are the biggest cause of uneven burn but I've had a few Havanas that burn lousy too.

Again, I think it has very little to do with lighting. I light 95% of my cigars with a Zippo and if I'm smoking a 42 ring or less, I'll use the cigarette lighter in the car :0 The car cigarette lighter actually gives a very good light ;)

I have been useing butane and it lights the cigar so fast I dont think it has time to burn the tobacco inside which is a common cause of taste variation and uneven burn. If you get a section of the cigar that wont burn or even relight well its usually because it is already burned inside.
If you keep haveing problems try lighting it in the "ritual" style where you hold the flame the edges than blow on the end to fire up the center.It takes a little longer but I have had few uneven burns lighting that way. Unless like cat said it is cheaper or has stem or seed. Personally I dont like zippos just because of the nasty gas taste that comes through the cigar.

coventrycat86 said:
Again, I think it has very little to do with lighting. I light 95% of my cigars with a Zippo and if I'm smoking a 42 ring or less, I'll use the cigarette lighter in the car :0
[snapback]148213[/snapback]​

Heathen :rolleyes:

:whistling:

lucasbuck said:
coventrycat86 said:
Again, I think it has very little to do with lighting.  I light 95% of my cigars with a Zippo and if I'm smoking a 42 ring or less, I'll use the cigarette lighter in the car :0

[snapback]148524[/snapback]​

I agree....
Let's tie cement blocks to his feet and throw him in a lake to see if he floats!

I ALWAYS torch or windproof if I don't have a torch handy. I agrre with CC that the burn is primarily affected by the construction of the cigar. I also think that how you light it plays a part in how well your stick will burn too.

I actually tried the cigar lighter in the van today...one puff and the thing was lit, rather well I must add. Too bad the thing isn't big enough from my 50 ringers...

Have a Colibri torch that I use.

One thing tho, even if you have a bad burn at the beginnig, a good cigar will correct it itself. The other day I had a La Gloria Cubana that I tried to light on a windy day. I finally got about 1/2 lit, but after a few min of smoking the burn was almost perfect.

LOL somehow heathen and the picture of that furry little cat is just to much.lmao

lucasbuck said:
coventrycat86 said:
Again, I think it has very little to do with lighting.  I light 95% of my cigars with a Zippo and if I'm smoking a 42 ring or less, I'll use the cigarette lighter in the car :0

[snapback]148524[/snapback]​

True, there is NO HOPE ;) :D

One thing I do make sure of and that is that ALL of the cigarette lighters work in every car I have. The Buick has FOUR of em and my Caddy limo had SIX :0

AND, I always have a Zippo at arm's reach :p