• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Economy affecting the midwest

AndrewGBob

Calmer than you are dude...
Well, the economic downturn has begun to stare me in the face. I work for a local bank in Kansas that prides itself on being safe, sound, and unaffected by the economic downturn. I work around 37 hours per week and it manages to pay the bills. Today at work my manager tells me that they are implmenting a hiring freeze and are also changing the staffing models. She told me I would be getting my hours cut to 20 per week. I asked when this would begin and she tells me next week. Whoa! Just freakin great! A little notice would've been great seeing as how a 20 hour work week will not pay the bills! Doesn't my employer know I have an expensive cigar habit to maintain! Ha! I thought the midwest in general had not been affected by this downturn as much because of conservative lending practices but it looks like I was wrong. Let the job search begin!

There are areas of the midwest reaching 15-20% unemployment. No area of the country has been or will be spared in this climate. Some will come out better than others, no doubt, but no area will be unaffected.

Best of luck to you.

Best wishes for your future and your job search. I'm sorry to hear about your hours being cut, I know how that feels. I just took a 10% pay cut a few weeks ago, and I only work about 20 hours a week too.

Hang in there bro.

Well, the bright side is that at least you have 20 hours/week of income and another 17 hours left over to use in your job search. Imagine how much worse it would have been if they just flat out laid you off. :(

It isn't just the midwest, it's pretty much everywhere. I could start telling you stories about how bad it is here in the northeast but there's not enough room here to even begin. :laugh:

I just found out today the the unemployment rate is about 15% for the county I live in. Yippee. I'm fine with being a poor college student, but "Dirt Poor College Student" is coming up soon. I really feel for the people that have actual bills, but as soon as my loan payments start showing up, I'll be joining y'all. Good luck with the job search.

I know it has been much worse on both coasts. This is the first time that it has directly affected me here in the midwest.I am very grateful I will still be getting a paycheck during my job search.

Well, the bright side is that at least you have 20 hours/week of income and another 17 hours left over to use in your job search. Imagine how much worse it would have been if they just flat out laid you off. :(

The man speaks wisdom young lad... Just be grateful you have a job. ;)

Good news is that Colorado, specifically Denver metro is faring much better than the average.

There are areas of the midwest reaching 15-20% unemployment. No area of the country has been or will be spared in this climate. Some will come out better than others, no doubt, but no area will be unaffected.

Best of luck to you.

Come to Michigan, were not doing to well. The best the State Government can come up with to help us is higher taxes.

I was watching CNN this morning and the reports for unemployment reached 10% in Oregon and 15% in Nevada and I believe it was something like 8-10% in California. Time like these that it makes you so grateful for your job. I know I am.

I just found out today the the unemployment rate is about 15% for the county I live in. Yippee. I'm fine with being a poor college student, but "Dirt Poor College Student" is coming up soon. I really feel for the people that have actual bills, but as soon as my loan payments start showing up, I'll be joining y'all. Good luck with the job search.

I hear ya.

I'm going back to school in the fall, and tuition and rent means I'll have to work during almost all of my spare time.

Good luck with the search, things happen for a reason. It is getting a little worse around here, but the real kicker will be if they close the auto plants in town. One is already gone but Chrysler and GM are still here. A lot of people got shown the door in the AB merger, but that is not the economy in general.