• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Elusive Whitetail Deer......

I love to hunt.........

The mental aspect of the hunt is the best. Getting yourself prepard for the elements........ finding a good location........ observing the other hunters in the area......... spotting your prey just over yonder.......... sneaking into better position.............. controlling your breathing............... feeling your heart pounding................ and then........... the pride of marching your trophy through the onlookers.................. up to the check out stand to pay for those T-Bones or Rib-Eyes........

Hunting in SoCal.........nothing compares :thumbs:

M. Gipson

(I haven't been deer hunting since I was 14.........20 years now........maybe when we get back to Texas, I'll make it a priority ;) )

SKYDIVNEKD said:
The new BAR 270 I got her two years ago has gotten some work, though. ;)
I have a BAR 270! :thumbs: Great gun, isn't it? I bought it with a Leupold 3x-9x scope when I was 17. I mostly use a shotgun though (usually an 870 express b/c there cheap, durable, and reliable) because the county that my farm land is in doesn't allow for rifle deer hunting.

D@mn, what similarities! She used an 870 Youth Express in 20 guage for all her years of huntin' til the 270. She was shootin' slugs from it for similar reasons. Plus, she was slayin' the deer so why change?! :D As for reliability, you can't beat an 870! Period! :thumbs:

Floyd T.

Haven't hunted since I was forced to get a second job 8 years ago. I had to sell my longbow cause I didn't have time to practice...still have my compound though.

Try hunting on the ground. Now that was hard!!! Seems deer around here look up all the time.

I'm going to the ground on Sunday night. I've watched the bucks use the same route twice and think I can ambush him. I'll let y'all know what happens.

Floyd T.

SKYDIVNEKD said:
I'm going to the ground on Sunday night. I've watched the bucks use the same route twice and think I can ambush him. I'll let y'all know what happens.

Floyd T.
GOOD LUCK!
agree.gif

Almost forgot about this post! :D

Well, I returned to the scene of the crime, set up (at 5pm no less) on the ground where I thought I could intercept Mr. Buck and within five minutes, a small doe and small buck rolled in! Bingo!! They walked within 15 yards of me. Never winded me and then rolled out. I figured I'd have my shot soon.

Well, after spookin' another buck at about 6:30, I was worried the buck I wanted wouldn't come by. So I rattled and waited. About 7:15, almost too dark to shoot, I heard leaves crunch. Then a minute or so later I heard them again. Damn, I couldn't find him. After lookin' all over and not seein' anything, I figured I could go to one knee to take a look over a small ridge.

Then, all I saw was the white of his ass! :angry: And he was haulin' it away from me. He was about 25 yards out directly in front of me. He came exactly where I thought he would. Oh well, had he of come w/in 10 yards, I'd have taken the shot. Otherwise, I didn't want to track him that late in the night. ???

So he lives to frustrate another day! Ah, the thrill of the hunt!

Next update should come Monday. I hope to get back into the woods on Sunday night. While frustrating, I love bein' in the woods and seein' the other wildlife. Two turkeys(hens) rolled by w/in 10 yards of me. If a nice tom rolls by, I believe I'll try to take him. Untilt hen, I'll just watch and enjoy!

Floyd T. :sign: