• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

End of trade embargo

Well, the weekly special editorial at JR sure sounds like they are at it again:

"With all the new items coming out each year, and the possibility of Havana cigars being around the corner, JR just has to "lighten up" on the varieties of packings we carry that involve the exact same cigars... and this is a great place to begin!"

My question: How does this kind of "the cubans are coming" promotion help sales of the NC cigars? I would think that if the cubans were really coming, that a number of people would hold off on purchasing NC's.

Maybe Lew knows something?

Cheers,
antaean

And last week he was trying to unload a bunch of those Mexican smokes he loves so much.

I am lucky enough to have the choice of Cubans or Others, and can say IMO the Cubans I have tried are not as good as the Dominicans or Nicaraguans.
A prime example of this is in my humidor I have Ramon Allones both Cuban and Dominican. And the Dominican blows the Cuban out of the water.

The same with me, in Sweden though. I prefer honduran Hdm, ErDM and Punch from the Cubans. Cubans have quite bad quality these days and when the embargo is lifted and the US market wil´l scream for cubans the quality will probably drop even furtrer initially.

Marketing is a powerful tool...Lew knows how to use it.

If the embargo was lifted, would the quality of cuban cigars go down? These factories would be pumping out cigars to fill the demand. The United States is the largest consumer of cigars, hence the reason Partagas, Montecristo, RyJ and many others opened up factories outside of Cuba with Dominican tobacco...

If you think about it from the reverse angle (the political angle) you will see that it just ain't happenin for a while. For the gov't to lift the embargo would mean that they would have to explain what is so different now than back then, why can Cuba be trusted now but not then? etc.

If you go home and kill your dog and beat your wife because you got fired, you can't really ever say "eh, no big deal, that job wasn't worth having anyway"

Just another shady deal thanks to the Kennedy's.

Yep, always speculation about this. But, with Fidel sick and brother Raul more business minded this may happen eventually. Big biz is already lobbying for some rights to work with Cuba in the oil industry.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/for.../03/19/8402339/

A quote from the article:

"This is not the 1960s, when the Kennedy administration was protecting the U.S. from a possible missile attack," says Charles Drevna, executive vice president of the National Petrochemical and Refiners Association, which represents 450 companies. "These resources will be developed and produced - the question is by whom. Prohibiting U.S. companies from developing resources 90 miles away is an Alice in Wonderland approach to policy that must be revisited."

Here's an interesting quote.

On this last point, Habanos s.a believes the demand for Cuban cigars in the US would be 50 million sticks a year. This is about a third of current Habanos s.a production. No matter what they say publicly, if I were an overseas Habanos distributor.....I would be purchasing plenty of supplies of a soothing rectum cream now. You are going to need it.

Expect a 30% jump in prices during this period of market adjustment.

On this last point, Habanos s.a believes the demand for Cuban cigars in the US would be 50 million sticks a year. This is about a third of current Habanos s.a production. No matter what they say publicly, if I were an overseas Habanos distributor.....I would be purchasing plenty of supplies of a soothing rectum cream now. You are going to need it.

Can you imagine the flood of fakes when that happens? They will flood every aspect of the supply chain. The most trusted dealer will be innocently peddling them.

Can you imagine the flood of fakes when that happens? They will flood every aspect of the supply chain. The most trusted dealer will be innocently peddling them.

If the embargo lifts, it may be a good time to stop smoking Cubans for awhile. :blush:

It would be very wise for dealers in ISOMs to increase their inventories. No one knows when our market will open up but it looks like the day is approaching........When it does open look out.....Things are going to dry up........Simple supply and demand........Even if it doesn't happen stock up anyway :D

Bob