• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Enjoying These Hobbies

rdj735

Recently, I read two posts on the forum… one about buying up rare and limited-release cigars; the other, a review by BBS of a stick he paid $3.25 for. I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and wanted to share.

The parents on this forum will surely know what I mean when I say, “I must have been rich before my kids came along.” My wife and I rented a house, and had no expenses other than utilities. Fast-forward to today, and we own a home, pay on our cars, and have two little girls who go to daycare ($$$) while we work. Somehow we’ve figured out how to pay those extra bills without much extra income.

When I first started smoking cigars, I got the perception that expensive stuff was the key to enjoying these kinds of hobbies. A quick glance through the pages of Cigar Aficionado seemingly confirmed my beliefs. I searched around for high-end smokes. I bought myself a nice torch lighter and cutter. I made sure my liquor cabinet was well-stocked with Blanton’s and other top-shelf spirits. I even considered remodeling a part of my house to build a walk-in humidor.

Tonight, we got the girls to bed around 9 PM. The wife jumped on the opportunity to go to sleep at a time like that. I, on the other hand, reached for my bottle of Old Forester ($18) and a Camacho Havana I picked up for three bucks. I fired it up with a Bic and liked it just as much - maybe more.

To me, these hobbies mean taking advantage of the rare free moments in an otherwise hectic world. I find it’s the experience I’m enjoying more than the cigar. Don’t take it the wrong way. There’s nothing wrong with smoking an expensive cigar. But, you should know that a $20-one won’t make the minutes tick by any slower. Just a few thoughts from a Forester'ed-up newbie...

I think sometimes some of us get caught up in the hype and care too much how are perceived by others.

Others buy the best because they can, and it makes them happy.

How else would you understand someone paying $100 for a cigar or $10,000 for a watch.

It's also marketing. The ad agency making us think we have to have their product, no matter how much it is.

As is the mantra of this forum, smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

Nice reflection on your part.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke is the golden rule, as far as I'm concerned.  

Having said that, I'd smoke two Padron 45th Family Reserve's every day if I had an extra $1500.00 a month to set fire to..... ;)

BlindedByScience said:
Smoke what you like, like what you smoke is the golden rule, as far as I'm concerned.  

Having said that, I'd smoke two Padron 45th Family Reserve's every day if I had an extra $1500.00 a month to set fire to..... ;)

X2!

Well you would have enjoyed it more with lighting up with a match instead of that high cost bic.

All kidding aside, it's what BBS said, smoke what you enjoy regardless of price. Back in the day Padron made a very inexpensive bundle cigar fumas that was awesome. I could smoke those all day long. Find what you like and enjoy the moment.

In my mind, cigars are similar to wine when it comes to price and enjoyment. As a wine drinker, one of the fun parts of wine drinking is searching for that diamond in the rough at $10 or less a bottle that drinks great and tickles your pallet.

As a cigar smoker, it's FUN to search and find that inexpensive cigar that puts a smile on your face for an inexpensive price point. B.B.S. and I have been talking about this phenomenon over the last week or so when he mentioned the 601 Blue label maduros and Murcielago cigars to me. It takes no skill to buy some of these high priced boutique and limited addition cigars and rave about their virtues, but score something that is new in the market, on a major sale, or through a closeout that tastes close to as good as some of these big dollar creations ...that's just plain cool as hell.

For me, searching for different sticks at short money that taste great is one of the things that makes cigar smoking a hobby versus just an act of smoking.

What Gary fails to mention is no Italian in his right mind would spend more than $15 on a bottle of wine.

Doc

Nicely said RDJ with great comments from other brothers. Since I fall in the "older than Doc column" I will share what I think is a decent smoke, Reposate '96 original Maduro made by AJ Fernandez. They are $100 a box of 40 and available on CI or Cigar.com. They are Salomon in size and available in Conn., Hab., and Maduro wrappers.

As part of my trade with 2K6 I have sent him one just to try. Perhaps if he likes it you will explore the option. Personally I enjoy it as much as I enjoy a Padron 2000.

My smoking and taste skills are poor, I either like or don't, but we could do an 8 way fiver split if any of you,have the stones to believe me.

For me, it has been a true diamond in the rough.

CJ and I were talking about something similar to this not that long ago.  Yeah it's cool to have the HTF or expensive sticks in the humi, but having a great go to stick that only costs a few bucks is just as important.

I have been looking at some more "budget" friendly cigars, and found a few really nice ones out there in the under $4 range.

ETA - Ed, thanks for the opportunity to try something new, I appreciate it!  I will let you know when I set it on fire.

Well said

I think most cigar smokers come to this realization in time. I now smoke mostly what some would consider yard gars, as did I once upon a time. The cigar has to be tasty but the set and setting are everything. That said, I've never seen more excellent bundle cigars than there are today.

Nicely said by all. I smoke a lot more than most, I think. I go through about 6-8/day. My go to are Padron 3000 maduro and Ortega serie D 8 and 12. I couldn't afford to smoke much more than that on a regular basis, but I'd love to.