• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Facing the facts

FlyFish

Reaction score
Just got an e-mail that the Father of one of my college buddies has passed away. Dr. Frank Rocco, a good man and a retired dentist whom I guess would have been between 65 and 75.

My Dad once told me that he never felt old because of round numbered birthdays, what convined him that he wasn't a kid anymore was when he started going to the funerals of his friends' parents. This is the second of my surrogate dad's (through my Fraternity) that has been called home in the past two years. It's sad and it hits home, I'm not 21 anymore.

Doc Roc, tonight I raise my glass and smoke one of my finest in your honor, You and your wife raised a fine Son and Daughter, you welcomed us into your home no matter what we looked like or how we sometimes behaved. You are a gentleman and you will be missed. Godspeed Doc................................................

That is rough. You being so affected is proof of the strenght of the bonds you had with him and your friends. Strong friendships are one of the best things a person can have and is a testimate of the character and person he is.

I felt I was "getting older" when I started to attend the weddings of college friends with increasing regularity, even more so when they started to have their own children. Getting married myself and buying my first home drove the point home, but eulogizing my father at age 23 made me feel older and more grown up than all the weddings and babies put together.

It's a little early for a drink, so I'll raise my coffee mug to Doc Roc as well.

Sorry to hear about your friends father. It is the part of living that is the hardest to comprehend at times.

Sorry for your loss. We all get these reminders as we go through life, when you're young and are growing up, they are fun because you are becoming an adult. When you're older and get a reminder, you should be able to see the positive side of it all. It's been a grand experience! :)

Just got an e-mail that the Father of one of my college buddies has passed away. Dr. Frank Rocco, a good man and a retired dentist whom I guess would have been between 65 and 75.

My Dad once told me that he never felt old because of round numbered birthdays, what convined him that he wasn't a kid anymore was when he started going to the funerals of his friends' parents. This is the second of my surrogate dad's (through my Fraternity) that has been called home in the past two years. It's sad and it hits home, I'm not 21 anymore.

Doc Roc, tonight I raise my glass and smoke one of my finest in your honor, You and your wife raised a fine Son and Daughter, you welcomed us into your home no matter what we looked like or how we sometimes behaved. You are a gentleman and you will be missed. Godspeed Doc................................................

I will raise one to him this evening. The loss of a good man should be felt by all. As the poet said, "...ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee..." Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your friends loss. It gets worse when your generation starts dying off.

Sorry to hear the bad news. One of my fraternity BROTHERS just passed away at age 44 from a heart attack a couple of weeks ago...

What fraternity are you in?

Alpha Phi Omega, It's a national service Frat. At Lebanon Valley College in PA back in the 80's none of the big nationals were on campus so it was a pretty big and diverse group of guys. Every one from the music majors to the middle linebacker on the football team. There's about 12 of us who went through together who are still very tight today 20 some years later. Scott Rocco, the Doc's Son, is one of those guys. That has been very cool.