• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fake Cigars at my B&M

I ceded the fact that this was a dumb, dumb, mistake. 'Facepalm' all you like, the intention of the post was to serve as a cautionary tale, to attempt to contribute something positive so that some people would not make the same dumb mistake I did. This may be moronic to most of you, but obviously it was of value to at least one. Purpose served.

Don't take it personally Gavin.
It was in innocent thing on your part, but to everyone else that's in the know it seemed like someone having a blond moment. A good ribbing at someone elses expense tends to go on around here. :)

BTW..............My Double Facepalm was directed at Lasto who clearly did not read or understand the thread before posting. It had already been established that these were Dominican knock offs, and that you just won't find Cuban Cigars for sale on the shelves of a B&M, fake or real.

I ceded the fact that this was a dumb, dumb, mistake. 'Facepalm' all you like, the intention of the post was to serve as a cautionary tale, to attempt to contribute something positive so that some people would not make the same dumb mistake I did. This may be moronic to most of you, but obviously it was of value to at least one. Purpose served.

It was in innocent thing on your part, but to everyone else that's in the know it seemed like someone having a blond moment. A good ribbing at someone elses expense tends to go on around here. :)

BTW..............My Double Facepalm was directed at Lasto who clearly did not read or understand the thread before posting. It had already been established that these were Dominican knock offs, and that you just won't find Cuban Cigars for sale on the shelves of a B&M, fake or real.

Exactly! I think most of us were just wondering what the heck was going on. The initial post is a bit hard to figure out. I couldn't tell if you were talking about Cubans or Dominican fakes until I read it a couple times through. No worries Gavin, just guys giving guys shit, you aren't the first person to make a goofy post, and you won't be the last. Just laugh and move on brother! :thumbs:

Thick skin you must have young padwan....
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Now, I consider myself relatively savvy, and always use extreme caution when buying a cuban cigar. I brought a couple of articles with me on my last trip overseas that gave pointers on spotting Cuban fakes so I could be sure that my investment would be a wise one. But for some reason, it didn't occur to me that: a.) I needed to be on the lookout for fakes at my local B&M and b.) Dominican cigars were faked to such a large degree, that I walked off that day with my two cigars quite happy with my purchase.

This is where the confusion set in I think. ;)

Not to mention Gavin you live in the same town as Jon so these knuckleheads are suspicious right off as to shenanigans by him! :laugh: :laugh:

I love that guy, and I love all these knuckleheads too!

I know I only live in the next town over but that buys me immunity!

Good post Brother,
don't tell me you got this from that B&M over next to Ralphs where the guy in there is always on the phone and just grunts at you when you are at the counter.

I understand that you can't buy Cubans in the states but from what i understand (and i most definitely could be wrong) Cohiba used the same wrapper for Cubans as they did for the Dominicans a long while back, that's all.

I understand that you can't buy Cubans in the states but from what i understand (and i most definitely could be wrong) Cohiba used the same wrapper for Cubans as they did for the Dominicans a long while back, that's all.

That would involve the Cubans putting a Dominican wrapper on their cigars. Although Altidas owns most or all of both Cohiba brands, they are not the same company.

General Cigar owns the Cohiba Name for the Dominican brand that you see in the states just about in every B&M. None of them contain anything remotely Cuban.

Cohiba in Cuba is completely different. It's an all Cuban product, filler binder, and wrapper.

General pretty much took advantage of the embargo and named the vast majority of their Dominican cigars the same as the Cuban brand names knowing most American consumers would buy into the name alone I guess.

COHIBA trademark dispute with Cubatabaco.
General Cigar to Appeal Decision in Cohiba Trademark Ruling.
One more good read!

So after basically stealing the names of all of the Cuban Cigar names and being called out by Cubatabacco, General Cigar pretty much threatened to sue the pants of anyone making anything remotely resembling their products.

The Cohibo that Gavin found was something Dominican that came out about three years ago (from someone trying to cash in on the Cuban knock off band) and was promptly shut down by General as copyright infringement.

Everyone clear now? :sign:

So we're all in agreement that these are fake, right? The real ones come with glass tops?

So we're all in agreement that these are fake, right? The real ones come with glass tops?

No... Glass bottoms! That way you can see the little fishes when you're taking the over priced excursion around the ISOM.

Now, I consider myself relatively savvy, and always use extreme caution when buying a cuban cigar. I brought a couple of articles with me on my last trip overseas that gave pointers on spotting Cuban fakes so I could be sure that my investment would be a wise one. But for some reason, it didn't occur to me that: a.) I needed to be on the lookout for fakes at my local B&M and b.) Dominican cigars were faked to such a large degree, that I walked off that day with my two cigars quite happy with my purchase.

This is where the confusion set in I think. ;)
Ah..Ha, ha. No, no, never thought I was buying a cuban. I was trying to illustrate that I had not been aware that buying a Dominican cigar at my local B&M required the same suspicion that one would use in buying a Cuban overseas. Besides...it says Republica Dominicana right on it. I made a dumb mistake, but I'm not that dumb.

Good post Brother,
don't tell me you got this from that B&M over next to Ralphs where the guy in there is always on the phone and just grunts at you when you are at the counter.
That's the one.

A good ribbing at someone elses expense tends to go on around here. :)

Case in Point:

1.) King Kong Photo by Tomthirtysix.
2.) BSneed51/Souldog24ca Bromance by mmburtch.
3.) "Pink Donut" Eater by general community.
4.) Forum Police by Breedy.
5.) Sloth/Souldog Comparisons by Breedy.
6.) "Lover of Booty" by jfields.

Trust me, getting ripped on is part of the fun here Gavin, just take it all in stride. ;)

Case in Point:

Trust me, getting ripped on is part of the fun here Gavin, just take it all in stride. ;)

Two slots in the top six...I hope Santa gets to see this....

Case in Point:

Two slots in the top six...I hope Santa gets to see this....

I know man, you should get extra coal! Good ones! :laugh: