• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Favorite inexpensive red wine?

Spey

What's your favorite cheap red wines , say around $10.00 or less?

I'm drinking one of my favorite "go to" wines right now, Columbia-Crest Grand Estate Cabernet Sauv, a 2002. I've tried this wine all the way back to 1995, being a great year for that estate. I liked the 1995, and 1998,1999 as well. The 2000 opened up wierd, not sure if I liked it, and didn't really care for the 2001.

The 2002 is pretty dang good though, very deep, dark garnet color, can't really see thru it up to the light. Fairly nice nose, some fresh fruit and vanilla?, and maybe a little earth. Plums and toast on the palate with a nice little finish, even opens up for the better as you drink it. No sediment. I wonder how it would age...It just hit the shelves here a few months ago.

I really get turned off by thin red wines, or ones that I detect a little vinegar on the nose. This one doesn't bring out any of that, at least the 02 doesn't, and I would think it would rate about 88 points. $8.99 or so a bottle at many local stores makes it my "go to" wine when I don't want to open bottle I'd rather save for company. I've poored alot of $15-$20 bottles of wine down the drain( or taken them back for a refund) so hey, it's nice find very drinkable wines in the 10 dollar range. I think this is good stuff :thumbs:

In the last few weeks I've gotten into Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais. It's a real nice wine that's about $7.00.

I've seen that Beaujolais in the stores but have never tried it.
I've mostly been into Cabs and bordeauxs, but have tried alot of chainti's, pinos, shiraz', merlots, a few Zins, and some odd blends. There's a nice 90pt chianti at costco for 15 bucks right now, pretty heavy and opens up nice (Nipozzano Riserva 2002 Chianti Rufina). For reds, I'm open for anything, favoring the thick and heavy ones. I like turning my tongue black :p

I would have to go with Casillerio el diablo...a nice chilean wine

Smoking Loon makes some great reds for under $10. I particularly like their Syrah.

Two of my favorites are:

Coppola Rosso
Rosenblum Vintner's Cuvee

Both are deep dark reds with full fruity flavours. I highly recomend you try them they are both under $10

Under $10 :0 , thats like asking what $1 cigars do I like :laugh: :laugh:

I would go with the Rosenblum and Coppola recommendation as well, Bonny Doon's Big House line is pretty good. I think I also recommended Baileyana's Pinot in another thread.

Edit: added Coppola

:cool:

Under $10 :0 , thats like asking what $1 cigars do I like :laugh: :laugh:

I would go with the Rosenblum and Coppola recommendation as well, Bonny Doon's Big House line is pretty good. I think I also recommended Baileyana's Pinot in another thread.

Edit: added Coppola

:cool:

Those are pretty decent recomendations.....so, what $1 cigars DO you like?
LOL!

In the last few weeks I've gotten into Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais. It's a real nice wine that's about $7.00.
The Beaujolais are nice if you feel like drinking without thinking much about it. Very quaffable wine.

I would have to go with Casillerio el diablo...a nice chilean wine
I'd second the Casillero del Diablo. Super value in a wine.

If you go a little higher (always if you go a little higher...), I think there are some really nice wines in the $10-20 range
Concha Y Toro's next notch up, Marques De Casa Concha, is an even better value than the Casillero del Diablo but ~$15/bottle. The cab is HUGE.
And Sebastiani Cabernet is a super bargain if you can find it for $13/bottle (and if I can find it for that in MN, anyone can).

I'm not a big wine drinker, but I had a Black Opal a while back that I liked. I think it was a cabernet and merlot mix, and around $7

Smoking Loon makes some great reds for under $10. I particularly like their Syrah.

I have had a couple Smoking Loon wines and enjoyed them.

My wife likes the Charles Shaw Melot (AKA Two Buck Chuck). I am not a fan but I hear it has received lots of attention from wine drinkers.

Here in PA they have a sale on Freemark Abbey Merlot 'Lineage' 2001 for $10.59 out the door. The wife likes it.

Ripple's cheap and red if I remember correctly. :whistling:

Doc.

Is Boone's Strawberry Hill considered a "Red Wine"?

I second Lee's Echelon pick....