• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Few Questions

I try to leave the ash on as long as possible. It seems that my cigars always need a little touchup after they are ashed. Not sure why that happens but it is annoying.

I have the same problem. Right after ashing is usually when they go out on me too. :angry:

I haven't been smoking too long, however I've always wondered if or when you should remove the ash from the end of your cigar while smoking. Or maybe it should simply fall off naturally?

Second, I have a Humidor that I got for free with a purchase at CI, however there is no hygrometer built in. How can I keep track of the humidity levels?

And lastly, I notice that some of you are very good at picking up the flavors of a smoke, however I never seem to pick up more than one or two. Is this simply a skill that comes with time and experience, or am I making a mistake?

Thanks all,

Corey

I don't have any advice that will trump what's already been said..... but welcome to the hobby!!!

With respect to picking out flavors, a little trick I was taught is to familiarize yourself with a spice rack. My girlfriend thought I was nuts for a while because I would smoke a cigar then sort through her spices in the kitchen trying to compare. I found it helped a great deal.

I try to leave the ash on as long as possible. It seems that my cigars always need a little touchup after they are ashed. Not sure why that happens but it is annoying.

I have the same problem. Right after ashing is usually when they go out on me too. :angry:

Yep. Me too. I forgot to mention that.

X3 Even though mine don't go out, just the little touchup. I have notice that if I try to take the ash off by rolling
it gently against the rim of my ashtray.. sometimes it doesn't want to come off :( and then the burn issues begin!

With respect to picking out flavors, a little trick I was taught is to familiarize yourself with a spice rack. My girlfriend thought I was nuts for a while because I would smoke a cigar then sort through her spices in the kitchen trying to compare. I found it helped a great deal.

This sounds interesting.
But what do you mean when you said "trying to compare"? Do you just look at the labels and try to compare them that way or are you actually tasting the spice as well?

This sounds interesting.
But what do you mean when you said "trying to compare"? Do you just look at the labels and try to compare them that way or are you actually tasting the spice as well?

You need to taste it. Take a spoonful of spice and taste it. Then take a puff. Try to find similarities. Then take a spoonful of the next spice...

When you do this, make sure you have someone on-hand to take pictures to document the process for other new guys.

:whistling:

-John

This sounds interesting.

You need to taste it. Take a spoonful of spice and taste it. Then take a puff. Try to find similarities. Then take a spoonful of the next spice...

When you do this, make sure you have someone on-hand to take pictures to document the process for other new guys.

:whistling:

-John

John!!!!! You mess it up for me, I was waiting for him to tell me he was tasting the spices :laugh:

I haven't been smoking too long, however I've always wondered if or when you should remove the ash from the end of your cigar while smoking. Or maybe it should simply fall off naturally?

Second, I have a Humidor that I got for free with a purchase at CI, however there is no hygrometer built in. How can I keep track of the humidity levels?

And lastly, I notice that some of you are very good at picking up the flavors of a smoke, however I never seem to pick up more than one or two. Is this simply a skill that comes with time and experience, or am I making a mistake?

Thanks all,

Corey
When I first started smoking I would experiment by flicking the ash off often, then keeping it on as long as I can just to see why others tend to keep the ash long. I found that the ash being on does give a smoother draw while my personal findings is that once the ash falls off, which is usually half way down, the cigar feels as though it's burning hotter so I take my time between drags to keep it from burning hot. I always sit outside so I will let the ash just fall off. If I were indoors I'd have a general idea when the ash is going to fall off and would probably knock it off sooner than if I were outside.

My humidor is a second hand I purchased from a local dude on craigslist. I have the humidity beads that I add a very small amount of water and just leave it in humidor, combined with a cheap hydrometer that I should upgrade but went nuts buying stogies and skimmed on the hydrometer (but the cheaper reads well, though it is off based on the salt test).

As for flavor, I say experiment with different brands before you go out and by a box of sticks that you end up hating. After trying about a dozen brands I've kinda picked out my favs and can distinguish slightly the differences between each brand but I suspect as everyone suggests that I'll identify tastes with time.