• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Figuring out ring size

Kento

Hi Guys,

With the generousity of members of this forum (thanks Bill!) I find myself combing websites for ring gauge and length to determine what cigar I am about to smoke. My question is that when I go to use the cardboard ring gauge thingee the local smoke shop gave me, many cigars fit into 2 or more different holes-either little loose, little tight, or in-between. SO, is there a better way to figure out ring gauge? If not, do you stick it in the little tight hole, or little loose hole? (get your minds out of the gutter). For the life of me, I have a Padron, a Fuente and a Gloria that I have no idea what it is, and if I smoke it and like it, I would never know what to buy again.

Laters all

Kento

Sometimes it is hard to tell BUT the cardboard gauge should get you close enough to a ring size that you should be able to cross reference with a listing on any one of the big internet cigar sites like JR, Famous or CI.

Since you do know the length without much trouble, and you think the ring is say either 50 or 52, look the brand up and see which specific cigar of that brand has a ring size in that range.

Ah, thanks Cat. I guess I was too hung up on the ring gauge size. Now that I think of it a few sites do allow you to seach by length too. :thumbs:

Check with Waliguy, I got some ring guages from him. He'll respond to your PM.

Gregor

It's a hand-made organic product of rolled leaves, the size of which is affected by humidity, pressure, etc., so it won't always be 100% accurate, but the ring gauge devices mentioned here should be pretty close.

Or you could just measure it with a ruler. The ring gauge is a fraction of 64ths of an inch from the diameter of the cigar. So if a cigar is an inch in diameter, it's a 64 ring gauge cigar. 1/2 an inch, and it's a 32 ring gauge cigar, etc.

Thanks guys. I just got a shipment in, so I am going to put all the info to the test.

1. You can always measure the circumference with a tape measure.

2. then, divide that by 3.14 = diameter
3. multiply the diameter by 64 to get the ring size.

If you're metric, you need to convert the first or second step to inches. Imperial sucks!