• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fill Me in on Gurkha

GDeAngelo

I have a co-worker who loves the Gurkha Titan & Titan II. I haven't done a lot on the research of this brand. I will be after I finish this thread. I've never had a Gurkha. I wouldn't mind trying one, but that's a lot to throw towards one stick. Thoughts from any of you? When were they founded? Are the repitable? Is it worth the money. $380 for a box of 16 for the Titan better be amazing. I know the Park Avenue is a cheaper priced smoke. I'm curious about all of their lines.

Come on guys, fill me in.

-Gianni-

They have approximately 4,000 different blends so have fun trying them all... ;)

In all seriousness there are probably 3-4 blends that are really smokeable with some enjoyment. The others are "fluff" blends... imo.

A few that are decent are:

Titan
Black Dragon
Centurian

edited for spelling

I think this is the problem:

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=704542

If that's what you're talking about, you can probably get one of the 6 5ers for pretty cheap.

From what I understand, they produce a lot (A LOT) of different sticks that may or may not be the same blend and their MSRP means nothing, as most can be found heavily discounted.

I just finished a 5er from cigarbid.com enjoyed them a lot, but from what I gather, it is hit or miss with this brand. Still for a newbie, it was a good way to purchase some new smokes without the risk of paying for something you have no way of knowing if you will like it or not.

Ordered another sample since I like the first one.

See THIS

Part of the fascination with cigars (for me) is the inventory process. When I get a cigar I look it up to verify exactly what I have and the value of it, it all goes in to an Excel spreadsheet (some say I am anal). This process is virtually impossible with Gurkha

Dont do it my friend. I told my friend that started smoking cigars if he buys a Gurkha cigar then its like licking a bum's foot....He hasnt bought one yet! lol.....

See that's what I've been thinking. Their website was more overwhelming then Rocky Patel's. I will be really surprised if they offer a lot of great smokes when there is that many lines. Is it another quantity over quality?

-Gianni-

Dont do it my friend. I told my friend that started smoking cigars if he buys a Gurkha cigar then its like licking a bum's foot....He hasnt bought one yet! lol.....

:laugh: I'm not interested in them in the slightest. I'm trying to figure out what the hype is about. A coworker of mine loves the Titan. At 18+ a stick, they better be good.

-Gianni-

I've tried half a dozen different Gurkhas and the best review I could give of the bunch was, "Well, I guess I didn't actually hate it but..."

Now that's just my opinion and as has been discussed time and again here, taste is purely subjective. Give a few a try and see what you think. You may discover that you love them in which case I say good for you and congrats on finding something that suits your taste. If not, there are many, many other options.

- Tim

I don't see how they can be the "Rolls Royce" of cigars if they can't even keep up with their entire stock, and like the others have been saying, only a couple of their blends are choice, maybe it's more like the "Edsel" of cigars! :laugh: :rolleyes:

Personally, I enjoy the Black Dragon and the Blue Steel isn't bad with it's Costa Rican wrapper.

Nick

See THIS

Part of the fascination with cigars (for me) is the inventory process. When I get a cigar I look it up to verify exactly what I have and the value of it, it all goes in to an Excel spreadsheet (some say I am anal). This process is virtually impossible with Gurkha

:laugh:

I do spreadsheets too and I've just given up on Gurkhas.

They just seem overpriced. I tried the Gurkha Grand Reserve (infused with cognac of some sort) and it was nasty. Couldn't even finish it.

The only line Gurkha cigar I've ever really enjoyed was one that Niko gave me. I think it was a "Grand Age". It was in a preferido format, complex as hell, and really begs for me to get some more. Other than that, every other one I've tried left me cold.

I have had a few and they were good then I have had a few others that well were so so, like others have said it is hit or miss rp

I like what I've tried, but that's probably only about 10% of what they offer. Its all about preference. I like the Black Dragon, the Vintage Shaggy, and the Expeditions. I didn't care for the Status. Not much to it. They are like the Rocky Patels and Pepin stuff: a countless number of sticks and blends, so you can't judge the brand off of only a few sticks.

Grand Age
Regent Toro
Black Dragon
Dragon Fury
Nepalese Warrior
Sherpa

These are all worth trying. Some with very complex flavors, some not so much and very direct on what was intended for taste. I have tried others in the Gurkha line but these are all that I have found worth smoking so far. By the way, since you asked, I tried the Titans... didn't even finish the stick I hated them so much.

Too many to list never had one, but I can live the rest of my life with that. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. :thumbs:

I have purchased several five packs of their different perfectos from CigarBid. They were pretty good sticks and most of the time you can get them for about $5.00 each. Royal Brigade and Legend were two of them.

When I first started with cigars I got a really good peice of advice, you won't know what you like if you don't try something new. Although I have found a couple of Gurkhas I like and a couple I don't, there are still a lot of stuff I have yet to try, hey I haven't even had an ISOM yet, so who knows in a couple of months, I may not even be smoking anything domestic!

I personally think that they are overpriced. I think that Gurkha puts too much money into packaging and marketing their cigars and they try to pass that cost to the consumer. That's my 2 cents.

FYI, the owner of Ghurka makes jewelry boxes......hence the fancy packaging.....A few years age, they were all made by Torano, but I haven't kept up to date, so I'm not sure if they're all still rolled by Torano.....