• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Finally bought a decent humidor

cigarlover

Season my humidor...is there someone here that can show me a step by step process on how to get my humidor up and running? Thanks in advance.

I bought a cheap humidor (maple) on Ebay last month and wasted $100 worth of cigars. I purchased a decent Romeo y Julieta humidor 300ct lined with spanish cedar. Now I'm ready to start fresh, but will need everyone's help on how to keep my cigar fresh.

Use a clean cloth or sponge. Dampen it with distilled water(not soak it), and wipe the entire surface of the enterior. Again do not soak it... just enough to dampen the cedar. After this... put a small container of distilled water is a cup or open container in the humidor {be careful not to spill it in the humidor though)and close the lid and leave for at least 24 hrs. This will season or moisten the pours of the cedar so it doesn't suck the moisture out of your cigars when you put them in.

Hi, Thank you all for the replies. My humidor came with a humidfication device (Craftman's Bench 6 1/4 x 2 7/8), How much distilled water should I put in this device. The instructions just says to saturate the humidifier, but is there a way of telling if it's enough?

Please help.

You don't want to soak the humidifier, just get it damp. You don't want it to drip water on your smokes or into the humidor. If you get it too wet, leave it sit upside down outside the humidor on a paper towel until your sure it won't drip. Use some 50/50 solution initially, not just distilled water (distilled will work, the 50/50 will help it steady the release of the water to control the humidity). After you're up and running you can just add straight distilled water and only use the 50/50 every few months. Better yet, beads will give you pretty good control over the humidity.

If you got the round brass dial one with your humidor, it's next to worthless. Twist the dial over to 65-70 so that it looks like its working. Get a digital hygrometer. Do the salt test thing so you know how well its calibrated and you know when its ok to start adding your cigars to the box

When I seasoned my humidor, I wiped down the inside with slightly dampened sponge (I boiled the sponge in distilled water). Some folks say don't do this cause it could raise the grain of the wood--potential to damage the wrappers of the cigars. I didn't have any problems with that. Then I put a small bowl of distilled water inside the humidor and shut it up for a few days.

When you add your smokes, and untill you get the humidor 1/2 - 3/4 full you'll see swings in the humidity. Don't sweat it, it will recover.

Have fun filling that baby.

My humidor came with a humidfication device

The first step to good humidification is to throw away the humidification device of which you speak. After you toss it--or before, it's up to you--order some beads from HERE.

I have them, as do a lot of members here, and I love them. You can't go wrong. The beads regulate the humidity whereas the "other" device you mentioned could possibly send your RH through the roof. Get some beads and join the faithful following!

My humidor came with a humidfication device

The first step to good humidification is to throw away the humidification device of which you speak. After you toss it--or before, it's up to you--order some beads from HERE.

I have them, as do a lot of members here, and I love them. You can't go wrong. The beads regulate the humidity whereas the "other" device you mentioned could possibly send your RH through the roof. Get some beads and join the faithful following!

He speaks the truth.. In the long run it'll save you a bunch of headaches..
Oh, buy more beads then you think you'll need. :whistling:

I can't thank everyone for their responses to my question. First off, how I realize the beads are the best way to go. But how about the OASIS XL. I really need something that is foolproof, no hassle way to keep my cigars happy :D

foolproof and hassle free... yep the perfect way to describe Viper's beads.