• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

First Humidor, amateur questions :)

fiveleaf

I'd like to start my first post by complimenting the site, and note the surprising amount of professionalism that most of you guys present yourselves with.

I will post an intro soon, but for now, am much more interested in this new 300ct box sitting next to me :)
Everyone seems to appreciate pictures, so I've included a couple:

I did buy it from CheapHumidors, and it was much larger than expected. The package was around $300 in total ($80 shipping to Canada).
Humidification is via a regular "Hydra Electric" humidifier.
Monitoring is via a $20 digital recalibratable hydrometer.

My questions:
Is the 75% salt test valid at any temperature? Varying temperature? [edit: I seem to get different humidity readings (71-76%) with variations in temp.]
For seasoning, what humidity should I set the Hydra to? I currently have it at 86% with distilled water, and do not intend on wiping it down.
Using this method, how long could I expect it to take before moving the cigars in?
Thoughts on cooling... I'm in two minds whether to build a cooler-dor or pick up a portable air conditioner and keep it under 70*F.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post!

Tom.

HUM-300GR_2_.jpg
hum-300gr.jpg

Thats nice. Are the drawers ventilated? Can the air flow freely from the top through the drawers?

I have that same one sitting in my closet. There's only one drawer and it's not sealed or connected to the cigar storage portion. I never got a good seal with my humidor and couldn't keep a constant humidity, so I stopped using it. Hopefully yours is put together better, though.

You should be doing the salt test at room temperature, so around 70 - 75. I'm pretty sure temperature will affect it, but I don't know how much for each range of temperatures outside of 70 - 75.

Do some searching on seasoning and you'll find plenty of details. I think 85% is the norm. I'd let it go for at least a week so that the wood can soak up the humidity. Then turn it down to whatever you actually want to store at and make sure that humidity holds steady for another 4-5 days or a week. Then I'd think about putting cigars in it.

Do you really have to worry about cooling in Canada? Just stick it out in the snow cave, eh? ;)

The drawers are not humidified, and I'm admittedly a little disappointed that they are not on tracks of any kind (they just fit loosely in the bottom).
This one came pretty battered after obvious shipping abuse, so I hope it holds humidity.

As far as calibrating the hydrometer goes, I think my inconstancy comes from not having a stable temperature. It would make sense that salt would absorb water vapour if >75% humidity, and release it at <75% humidity... but since temperature directly affects this, I need to give it time at a stable temp. I've placed the sealed test pack in the humidor, where it will be more likely to hold a constant temperature.
After research, 84-86% seems to be the norm, but some sources recommend holding this humidity for up to three weeks. I'm happy with the product, but would like to let CheapHumidors.com know ASAP if this box doesn't hold humidity.

Two more questions, perhaps one for the supplier... My most recent order is 10 boxes (3-5ct) of various recommended cigars. My supplier ships them vacuum sealed. Can I leave them sealed without worrying about harming the cigars?
Second question is unrelated: It is really worth returning a $85 Hydra(TM) humidifier if the adjustment range needs to extend about 7% more to properly calibrate? I'll search the forums.

Temp. Varies here from about -30 to +95*F... well into beetle territory :(

I use a portable air conditioner. Just a lot easier to deal with than Thermo electric, with more ability to keep my smokes cool when it is over 100* outside.

Especially since I am goin to be housed in small military residence-style shacks for at least the next year, I'm going to have to agree.

Thinking about it, I don't currently need the extra space, or have the time/cash to do it right the first time right now. I'd rather keep the humidification system I have right now, and spend the extra cash on cigars. Besides, a room under 20*C in the summer has a certain appeal.
"Any fool can be uncomfortable" :)

Tom.

CheapHumidors has referred me out to their supplier to `take care` of the non-calibrated Hydra. I really hope everything works out; I've since heard a cople horror stories with them...
Other than that, still seasoning :)

how did you make out? I have the same humidor

Seasoning is about to finish, unknown if this one will hold humidity -- it was really abused in shipping. I'll let you know how it goes. Mine came with all the accessories inside of it, unpadded; I believe this packing job is what's responsible for my cracked main tray and dividors, and the hairline fracture in the actual interior of the humidor. One impact injury to the exterior (doesn't look like it will affect physical integrity). Will post a few pics sometime. I'll let you know if it holds humidity, and how CheapHumidors treats this case.

I recently got that humidor and finally got it to hold at 70%. But it was a struggle. The other one I have seems to have a better seal. But if you are persistent you should be able to get it to stabilize, that is to say if it wasn't too badly damaged in travel. Good luck.

I would return your humidor. I know it sucks as you are already close to having it seasoned and are eager to use it. I ordered a humidor from Cheap Humidor's and my first one was in bad shape. I sent it back, in spite of wanting to get things rolling. The next one I got was in perfect shape. Now I am glad I sent the first one back as my current one does a nice job and looks great. I think you will regret keeping it in the future.

Good luck either way.