• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fish tanks

wkoti

Flaky McFlakerton
Well I've had fish tanks for a while about 2 years, and am knee deep in the pit, but absolutely love it. 55 gallon, 14 gallon, and finishing a build on a 289 gallon.

Does anyone else have one, two, ten?

Pictures? Share!

I have a 2 week old Black Volitan Lionfish, believed to have been born in captivity (Never been seen before), he's freaking awesome, I'm watching him eat live brine shrimp right now.

This is my reef tank that has been set up for 2 year now, never touched it just let it do it's own thing. It's a 14 JBJ Nano-Cube, that started off with some live Fiji rock and 1 green star polyp about the size of nickle. I had some Fern Algae and after I ripped it out to put the little guy in, found all sorts of awesome marine life. Bristle worms, starfish (dozens), aiptasia anemones (which I don't normally mind because of their pure want to live) and millions of copepods. Well I threw in peppermint shrimp to kill/eat the aiptasia and am eagerly watching the growth of this little lionfish.

IMG_0883-Copy.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

I'll have to dig up pictures, but I have no fish tanks at my current house. I still have one left at my parents house that they wouldn't let me take with me. It's a 75gal salt with live rock and a DSB. Also perfectly balanced, with no water changes in years. I've had tons of other tanks over the years, from a 5gal nano-reef to a 120 cichlid. My next planned tank is a 4' 150 gal goldfish.

I hope you really don't mind those aiptasias.... they are practically impossible to completely remove.

Watching the Animal Planet show "Tanked" and now reading this post really makes me want to get a tank to put some really cool fish in...

[sub]I have 2 FW and 2 SW tanks. They SW are 12 and 28 gallon nanocubes. The 28 gallon is my baby, but I had a serious outbreak of calupera algae that was so bad I considered tearing down the tank. I finally have it under control though, so everything is good in the universe. I have mostly LFS corals along with 2 crocea clams, a cleaner shrimp, royal gramma, and an ocellarus clownfish for me son who loves Nemo. I had a beautiful mandarin dragonet that I had for over 2 years and was able to train to eat frozen mysis shrimp, but he died when my chiller malfunctioned about 8 months ago.[/sub]

[sub]I've had aiptasia in my 12 gallon and they are near impossible to kill. I've had peppermint shrimp that have taken care of them before but I've also had some that didn't do squat except nip at corals and clam mantles. [/sub]

I had a 55g cichlid tank for a while last year but ended up selling it due to finances. Would love to get back in to a SW tank eventually but they are very costly and I wouldn't want one smaller than 75g. Nice looking tank!

[sub]I have the equipment for a 50 gal tank, but it is retired for a while. Years ago, I had a 55 gal Brackish Aquarium. Kept Monos and Scats, and it had great natural decorations.[/sub]
[sub]I love the behaviour of both fish, and if I ever set up again, it will most likely be these again.[/sub]

I'm nursing a very sick Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish right now, found him doing poorly this morning. Isolated him in a 2 gallon in the kitchen with a 3 gallon power filter, tossed in some treatment and a couple ghost shrimp if he gets hungry. Hope he'll pull through!

I'm nursing a very sick Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish right now, found him doing poorly this morning. Isolated him in a 2 gallon in the kitchen with a 3 gallon power filter, tossed in some treatment and a couple ghost shrimp if he gets hungry. Hope he'll pull through!

Hope he pulls through!

I had a 25 gal SW tank in my office when I worked for Sun Microsystems. I loved having it in my office, it was a really good stress reliever. Just watching the fish swim around the tank just made all the stresses of my day go away.

I am going to set up a 10 gal FW tank for my boys soon with some inexpensive fish. I am also thinking about setting up a 120 gal SW tank for myself, but not sure I have the bank to be able to make that run right now...

Danios are great for setting up and stabilizing a tank. Tough as nails, and inexpensive.

I have a 55 gal FW corner tank with a bowed front. Nothing really special - lots of various tetras, some clown loaches, catfish and two plecostomus. I change out 10 gal of water every two weeks, and replace filter material every six months. Pretty much low maintenance, and as 2K6TBSS mentioned, very relaxing to just sit and watch the fish swim around.

Are you gutloading your ghost/brine shrimp? I didn't with my first and found out my lion wasn't getting enough nutrition when it got sick. Both are pretty nutritionally empty the older they get.

Hope he pulls through!

I had a 25 gal SW tank in my office when I worked for Sun Microsystems. I loved having it in my office, it was a really good stress reliever. Just watching the fish swim around the tank just made all the stresses of my day go away.

I am going to set up a 10 gal FW tank for my boys soon with some inexpensive fish. I am also thinking about setting up a 120 gal SW tank for myself, but not sure I have the bank to be able to make that run right now...

That's what got me started, dad had 2 fish tanks when I was growing up, both salt water, one 75 gallon and one 125 gallon, which reminded me of some cool times. They always had aggressive fish, so watching puffers, lionfish and triggers go to town on gold fish always made my day.

It's expensive to get to it up a running, just finding what you need, lights, filters, fish, water, ect. But if you can find the equipment on Craigslist, or even a LFS, you save yourself boat loads, and if you set it up right the first time, it won't cost you a fortune later. I know guys that set their fish tank up, haven't done a water change or maintenance in 5 years, so all you spend money on is food. I also know my local LFS owner has a 200 gallon tank with no filters, boat loads of live rock and sand, 5 air stones, and a power head, the tank does everything itself, it's quite amazing.

Are you gutloading your ghost/brine shrimp? I didn't with my first and found out my lion wasn't getting enough nutrition when it got sick. Both are pretty nutritionally empty the older they get.

I haven't been for a little while, I got off of store bought live fish and frozen fish and started a hatchery, and was actually making good ground, so at the moment it was just home hatched ghost shrimp mixed with some nutrient loaded krill.

The Lionfish gave up the fight this morning, he didn't appear to be sick with anything like ich or parasites, I believe his life cycle had just come to it's end. He was full grown, I didn't what I could for him last night. No need to run out and get another, my 289 gallon project is almost done and requires plenty of attention, but once it's finished I'm sure I'll have to go shopping, I don't want it to be empty now... :D

I've got a 60 gallon tank with Malawi cichlids.
The orange multiply almost monthly (I believe they're Red Zebras).
fish1y.jpg

Getting a little crowded in there and pretty soon I'll be bringing some back to the aquarium store for credit.
If someone is in the LI area, and wants a few, they're yours for the asking.
C...

Have a 120 reef, 90 FOWLR, 6 gallon fluval edge FW planted in my daughters room and am going to set up a 12 inch cube reef in her new room when the room is done.

I grew up in a house full of tanks. My mom was a tank nut. The ones that stand out was a 100 gallon saltwater tank I remember sitting there watching the fish for hours it really was like looking into a reef. She also had several 55 gallon tanks with tropical fish. I miss having a tank but at the place we live right now there is no room for a tank rp

I had a 100 gallon reef for about 3 years. About the time it started to really take off we had our baby boy! Turned out that I didnt have enough time to take care of the tank and it started to slip. I decied to sell off all the livestock instead of watching it all die off. Hearing you all talk about it makes me miss it though. They are beautiful when set up right and growing good.