• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

FREEZE EVERYTHING!

It is pretty much accepted that freezing kills the beetles and any larva that have hatched. The question is does it kill the eggs. I know this topic has been discussed many times before, but I can not find any definitive answers. Sooooooo -----

1. Does freezing kill the eggs? Has anybody had an outbreak in cigars that had been frozen?
2. If freezing does not kill the eggs, how long are they viable? If the cigars are stored below 70F for X months / years, can the eggs still hatch if the storage temperature goes up?

I understand that many factors have an affect on the viability of the eggs, so a range may be more applicable to the community in general. Does anybody have any experience with smokes that were/were not frozen and have some time on them that had an outbreak? Smokes that were/were not frozen with some time on them that were then subjected to higher temperatures for several months that did not have an outbreak?

I guess this is my exercise in futility trying to pin down some guidelines. But who knows. Maybe with the experience on this board we can come up with something. Hope we can because summer is coming :)

[/quote]
I guess this is my exercise in futility trying to pin down some guidelines. But who knows. Maybe with the experience on this board we can come up with something. Hope we can because summer is coming :)
[/quote]

Smoke em all before summer.

Seems like this is a subject of great interest to a great many smokers. I want to stress that beetle infestations are not confined to Cuban cigars. In fact, you may find beetle pheromone traps discreetly hidden in the corners of your favorite B & M. I know this is the case here in Delaware.

Since I don't have time to fully research an article, I'd like to try something new. I'm going to start a thread on dealing with beetles tonight and manage it in a "wiki" style. I'll start with my freezing protocol and then ask for information, references, and experiences and we'll build this reference together. We'll use the thread to vet the information and then I'll transfer the best of it to the opening post or two. This will be a true group effort.

There are a multitude threads on the subject scattered all across the internet and this could be our opportunity to establish the definitive resource on it...but it'll require folks to chip in on the research and analysis. If this sounds good to you all, let me know here in this thread and I'll start it later tonight after the girls are in bed.

Wilkey

everything I have run across and read has said that to kill the eggs it needs to be in a deep freeze, like in the commercial style at -20 or colder range. A standard household freezer will not reach this.

However, if everyone buys their Habanos in mid-late winter, I would be happy to freeze them outside when the temperatures reach these depths.

for a fee of course... :whistling:

Seems like this is a subject of great interest to a great many smokers. I want to stress that beetle infestations are not confined to Cuban cigars. In fact, you may find beetle pheromone traps discreetly hidden in the corners of your favorite B & M. I know this is the case here in Delaware.

Since I don't have time to fully research an article, I'd like to try something new. I'm going to start a thread on dealing with beetles tonight and manage it in a "wiki" style. I'll start with my freezing protocol and then ask for information, references, and experiences and we'll build this reference together. We'll use the thread to vet the information and then I'll transfer the best of it to the opening post or two. This will be a true group effort.

There are a multitude threads on the subject scattered all across the internet and this could be our opportunity to establish the definitive resource on it...but it'll require folks to chip in on the research and analysis. If this sounds good to you all, let me know here in this thread and I'll start it later tonight after the girls are in bed.

Wilkey

Excelent. I look forward to seeing where this goes. If I can be of an help let me know. Being relatively new to cigars my experience and collection is limited but I am willing and curious.

In reference to Swissy's post about needing to reach -20 degrees or colder, I am curious as to the source. It may be a good starting point for some research.

Wilkey, I know what you are talking about. Until we get our boys ages 3 and 5 to sleep, nothing gets done.

Dave