• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

French press

drew_goring

Big Bad Mother F*cker!
I am looking for a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get, and where to get it? Hopefully online. My options right now are limited. I am currently in the middle of nowhere for the next month or so. :(

The mesh on my old one is starting to crease on the edges and let grinds through. :angry:

cheapest one I've ever had was from Ikea, trouble is I just broke the glass, so I need to get a new one. I think it was $9

starbucks
target
walmart
bed bath and beyond
linens and things
great indoors

should all have french presses

I've seen these but have never used one.

Please enlighten me. How are these better (or more of a pain) than other coffee brewing methods?

"wiki" said:
Because the coffee grounds are in direct contact with the brewing water, coffee brewed with the French press captures more of the coffee's flavour and essential oils, which would become trapped in a traditional drip brew machine's paper filters. French pressed coffee is usually stronger and thicker and has more sediment than drip-brewed coffee. Because the used grounds remain in the drink after brewing, French pressed coffee should be served immediately so as to not become bitter from over-extraction.

I agree with this. French press coffee is the only coffee that I enjoy black. Much more flavorful and if made right, not at all bitter.

Most drip pots do not achieve a high enough temperature of water when introducing the water to the grounds. Water temperature is generally agreed to be best when in the 195 - 205 degrees Farenheit range for proper extraction. Also, you cannot control immersion times with drip pots. As previously stated, paper filters "trap" many of the coffee oils and they are unable to reach the coffee pot. In all, drip pots tend to brew a more static cup of coffee. A "cleaner" cup, devoid of many of the coffee beans' true flavors and nuances.

Press pots ("French Presses") allow exact control of the brewing. Exact water temperature can be introduced into the chamber and exact timing of its immersion (contact with the beans) can be exercised. The wire mesh screens they employ are only designed to keep large bits of coffee from the resulting liquid. A bit of "sludge" does come through. If you are unaccustomed to press pots, you may find this "chewier" cup unfavorable. Or you may learn to enjoy it for its less "clean", but more "honest" cup of coffee that is truer to the bean's taste profile.

I do use a drip pot as well. I rarely have the time to press pot. For my drip pot set up, I employ a Technivorm MoccaMaster drip pot with a SwissGold #4 coffee filter. SwissGold filters are a very good alternative over paper filters, in my opinion. They allow oils to escape through into the coffee. They also let through some of the "sludge" associated with press pots. A relatively pricier setup, but the durability of the machinery and the taste it yields is worth it to me.

To answer the original question, the Bodum Chambord seems to be kinda the standard. There are other alternatives though. It should definitely not cost any more than $30, and should cost less than that. However, if you're gonna press pot, you will find yourself in want (need) of a good quality burr grinder.

To answer the original question, the Bodum Chambord seems to be kinda the standard. There are other alternatives though. It should definitely not cost any more than $30, and should cost less than that. However, if you're gonna press pot, you will find yourself in want (need) of a good quality burr grinder.

Already have a burr-grinder. Thanks for the brand name. :thumbs:

"wiki" said:
Because the coffee grounds are in direct contact with the brewing water, coffee brewed with the French press captures more of the coffee's flavour and essential oils, which would become trapped in a traditional drip brew machine's paper filters. French pressed coffee is usually stronger and thicker and has more sediment than drip-brewed coffee. Because the used grounds remain in the drink after brewing, French pressed coffee should be served immediately so as to not become bitter from over-extraction.

I agree with this. French press coffee is the only coffee that I enjoy black. Much more flavorful and if made right, not at all bitter.

100% dead on. :thumbs:

I love french presses....just not in my own home! Takes too long to boil water, then wait for 4 minz to plunge....i'd rather be halfway through my first cup :whistling:

I know this is not a French press, but do you guys think of this.Clicky Button Thingy

I am looking at getting this and a burr grinder for my wife on her birthday. Also any other suggestions are welcomed

Thanks
Tim

I agree with others Drew, Bodum is 'The Name" in French Presses.

H311, I think the coffee you get from these things is worth the wait. :love:

I think I am going to have to order one of these. Might as well as much as I enjoy good coffee, but even more of a reason is just how much of a mold experiment my coffee maker seems to be. All kinds of crevaces, its dark, its cool, its moist....who knows what kind of stuff grows in there.

thanks for the reco and link, I need a new one since mine shattered, and I like that it's also a carafe.