• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fungus amungus

I've just looked at a few loose cigars and they have been fine. I guess I'll have to open a few boxes and verify as I usually leave them sealed. I have one of the problematic 2006 sealed shark boxes so I may be in for a surprise. Thanks for bringing this up again. If it's not beetles, mold or something else what would we obsess about?

Dammit...!! I just went through my Anejo's and found one 77 that had pretty distinct mold on the foot, and one that had teeny little spots that might have been mold.

The one with definite mold on the foot got about 1/2" sawed off, and the inside appears fine. The questionable one cleaned right up. They both got left "naked" in the cabinet on bare wood (on top of a box).

I'll dispose of them both over the next couple of days.....by fire, of course...... :cool:
You know Tom. The mold on the Sharks are not the regular mold I have seen. I decided to smoke one now after reading this thread. The box I'm smoking out of is from 2006. There are 14 left in the box. Four had one or two little spots, two had some spots on the foot. However, when I chipped away at the foot on both, the "mold" was only on the surface.

I always take out the humidity pack when I receive Anejo's and this box, which has been in my humi for 18 months, was no different. As we know, the newer boxes have no humidity pack. Anyway, the point I am making is that the sticks in this box should be destroyed by mold by now, but they are not. Like I said, the mold on these sticks confuse me. Maybe it's humidifier mold, not water mold...can you see where I'm going with this?

Brian
Man, Brian, I don't know. As far as I know, mold is mold is mold. Now, that's the electrical engineer talking so what the heck do I know...??... :laugh: Not sure what you mean with "humidifier mold" versus "water mold".

Worst case of mold I had was one of the infamous Christmas 2006 Shark Boxes. I'd pulled the humi pak (though it was shipped as far as me with the pak inside) and put them in one of my coolers. Two months later, they were completely fouled with fluffy white / blue mold. The feet of better than half of them was completely covered by thick, dense mold. Damn...!!

I've had more moldy Sharks than every other moldy stick I've ever had, ever, combined. I just love 48's / 49's but I've never had one go bad in my humidors. Sharks aren't one of my favorites, and with all this going on, I may pass next time they come around...... :whistling:

Cheers, guys - B.B.S.

I've just looked at a few loose cigars and they have been fine. I guess I'll have to open a few boxes and verify as I usually leave them sealed. I have one of the problematic 2006 sealed shark boxes so I may be in for a surprise. Thanks for bringing this up again. If it's not beetles, mold or something else what would we obsess about?

Ahhh, the problems you have....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This thread reminded me that I hadn't checked my Anejos in quite some time. Pulled all of the boxes and loose ones out yesterday and all is well. Even those Sand Sharks are resting nicely after a little problem with a couple of them. I have been running my cabinet humidity in the low sixtys which I think helps to control the mold situation.

This thread reminded me that I hadn't checked my Anejos in quite some time. Pulled all of the boxes and loose ones out yesterday and all is well. Even those Sand Sharks are resting nicely after a little problem with a couple of them. I have been running my cabinet humidity in the low sixtys which I think helps to control the mold situation.
Hey there Lou - !! Been keeping my cabinet set to 65% which seems to work out well. The smokes in the singles drawers in the bottom aren't too moist, by any means, so all seems well.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Hi Tom. I finally went down to 62% and placed a few 60% beads in the two singles drawers that are in the top of my cabinet. I am running my temperature at 69F. This setup seems to be pretty good with no problems in the singles drawers.

I'd say yes. . . take them out of the cello. I had 3 boxes of sharks from this year, all without humipaks. One I took out of the cello, 2 of them I left in the cello. After one month, no mold found on the cello free, both of the cases with cello had 5 to 10 sticks with mold about the foot. :angry:

I'll continue to buy Anejos. . . they are my favorite stick, however in the future they will all be cello free as soon as they arrive. YMMV
Interesting! The discussion about Sharks has or rather, we thought, concluded that the humipak caused the mold. You say not! That it's the cello ??? I'll have to check the box I got that came
without the humipak.

Brian

I believe it is a combination of the cello and humidity over 67-68%. I usually keep the humidity around 64% or lower, however if the cabinet gets too full :whistling: then air circulation is less than optimum, probably causing higher humidity in the lower shelf near the cigar oasis. So, my belief is that when humidity is above 65%, those cigars that are cello wrapped are more prone to outbreaks and cello free anejos are more tolerant of the higher humidity.

Anyhow. . . looks like I'll be smoking Anejo's at a faster pace than usual! :thumbs:

Last summer I had a box of 46's and 50's with the little white spots on them. I took a paper towel dampened with a little distilled water and wiped them off. I then let them dry in the sun for around ten minutes. Placed them in their own boxes inside my humidor and have had no further problems. They still smoke great. (Those that are left that is)

I always strip my cigars of any coverings and inspect them before they go in the box. This is also a good policy with woman before one goes in their box.

I always strip my cigars of any coverings and inspect them before they go in the box. This is also a good policy with woman before one goes in their box.
...yeah, but in this case I recommend leaving the cello on.... :laugh:

I have been on the fence about cello on or off. Mine are all still wrapped.

....I figure the mold would spread much more slowly if it did happen to pop up on some sticks ???