• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Garage Heater

PSU OpusX

Hey guys, I just bought a new house and I am enjoying smoking in my 2 car garage. My cigar room won't be built out until next year do the garage will have to do for the winter. I live in the Philly area do it's starting to get a little chilly in here. For those who smoke in your garage during the winter months, what do you use to heat it? I prefer something electric. TIA

Oh well it's not electric but I open the garage door a smidge and use the propane tabletop heater. Works awesome.

Oh well it's not electric but I open the garage door a smidge and use the propane tabletop heater. Works awesome.

He may need a few more BTU's than that in Philly than Texas...LOL

Electric heater for a garage in Philly in the winter...$$$$$$$
I had one of these when I worked on my car in the in-laws garage and it worked great! I have been thinking about getting one of these for the porch to take the chill off when having a smoke!

Paul

Kerosene heater in a three stall garage with a second floor. Just enough to take the edge off.

Other than that extra layer of clothes and a short cigar, :laugh:

He may need a few more BTU's than that in Philly than Texas...LOL

Electric heater for a garage in Philly in the winter...$$$$$$$
I had one of these when I worked on my car in the in-laws garage and it worked great! I have been thinking about getting one of these for the porch to take the chill off when having a smoke!

Paul

I had the first one that Paul mentioned above, worked great for many years and used very little propane. I used to fire it up before we ate dinner and by the time we were done and cleaned up, the garage was nice and toasty for an after dinner smoke.

I had a 2 car garage with insulated doors, 30 minutes on high took the chill out, an hour and you didn't need a coat or sweatshirt.

I highly recommend one.

I first had a 220 elec. heater installed. It was 'ok' but expensive to run. I then added a Mr. Heater Big Buddy heater with 2x 1lb propane tanks... (later adding a hose and 20lb tank.) That helped balance the cost a little, but more important it heats the objects in the room and not the air. The problem with the elec. was that the garage being too drafty to work well. Then I went with one like this: LINKY

ProCom Vent-Free Dual Fuel Infrared Radiant - installed with direct line to my natural gas pipe.

I went with this and NOT the blue flame heaters as it too heats the object and not the air.

Note, both the big buddy and pro com have 02 sensors and are safe for indoor use. The big buddy has a tip sensor as well and they both have fans available....and piezo starters.

I think a Big Buddy will meet your need as it will heat the area you are sitting.. I only have a single car garage and it worked very well (I had to turn it down once it wamed up).
If your space is segmented a little and you can go with the larger wall unit....go for it!

I can sit in the garge in a tee-shirt...sans pants! ;)

I live in So Cal, but it snows once in awhile where I stay. A hoody sweatshirt and some Makers Mark works for me.

I use one of the single burner Mr. Heater units that sits on top of the propane tank. Works pretty well. Takes the edge off in the small room I have and is real toasty for one or two people sitting in front of it.

I use one of the single burner Mr. Heater units that sits on top of the propane tank. Works pretty well. Takes the edge off in the small room I have and is real toasty for one or two people sitting in front of it.

These are not vent free and require a large space and circulation....right?

I've been using a Monitor heater for the last 4 years in my shop. It's a direct vent kerosene system with a thermostat and auto on/off etc. There are a bunch of models, I picked up a used one and love it.

http://www.monitorheat.com

These are not vent free and require a large space and circulation....right?

I have no idea. Windows are always open or doors cracked to vent the smoke, anyhow, so I never worried about it.

I just open the back door to the garage and light up. Fortunately I live in So Cal. :D Unless of course Mt. Baldy is full of snow, then the temps can get down into the 30's, at which point I simply don't smoke. The wind blows over the mountain and is freezing cold. Luckily only a few weeks out of the year.

Whatever you choose, I suggest electric. You don't want to create fumes in a closed area.

My garage has no insulation, and have tried old style electric heaters that have a fan (completely useless), and electric radiators that use oil (also useless). I have not tried any of the newer electric heaters (like that have been posted here). I use an electric blanket laid over my chair with a blanket on top of me - keeps me nice and toasty.

When I realy have to use the garage I dress thicker and use an electric heater under the chair with a blanket over my legs but more often than not I just go into my hot tub in the cold weather.

I have a Kerosun heater that cranks out plenty of heat. It just a needs a few minutes head start.