• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Getting Started

jus10

CP Shipping Guru
I want to purchase 5 bottles for $375 to get my liquor cabinet started. I want all single malts. The only Bottle I already have is the Oban 14. I haven't had the time to go out to one of the many great scotch bars in the city so my tastings have been few. What I like is really unknown at this point. I do love the Oban though. Your input would be greatly appreciated :D

Does that mean you have $375 for four more bottles? Nothing like jumping off the deep end.

Balvenie 21 yo PortWood $80-100
Macallan 12 $40
Bowmore 17 $55
Johnnie Walker Green $50
Aberlour 15 $45

If you like the Bowmore then buy a more peaty one like Laphroaig, Caol Ila, Ardbeg or Talisker all in the $50 range. That should use up your $375 and you even get an extra bottle.

Does that mean you have $375 for four more bottles? Nothing like jumping off the deep end.
I want to get 5 bottles.
I like the idea of getting a peaty one to see if I like it. As for the others I have never had them. but can't wait to try them.

PS: I thought of another trait I have found I like. Dryness a crisp finish. but with that being said I also like the sweet finish of Oban. hmmmmm I guess I like both.

What do you think?

Yeah, I have been reading them. They are great. Much thought has gone into them and that is apparent. I will continue to read them for sure.

jus10 said:
Yeah, I have been reading them. They are great. Much thought has gone into them and that is apparent. I will continue to read them for sure.

[snapback]276686[/snapback]​

What's the rush brutha? Why 5 bottles all at once?

Lets start with the Oban. How did you drink it? Over ice? Neat? What do you like/dislike about it? Is it sweet? Is it smokey? With these questions answered, maybe someone can better direct you to your next bottle.

Then buy that one bottle, taste it. Determine what you like or don't like. More peat/less peat. More oak/less oak etc.. Then report back. Buy the next bottle based on your likes/dislikes. Repeat.

What you're doing is developing your palate. If, on day one, I tried the Scotches I now drink, I'd still be drinking Scoresby! $75 a bottle is lot to spend on Scotch after deciding you like only one. I've paid $35 for Scotches I love and $80+ for bottles I would use to strip paint.

And for Heaven's sake! You're in NYMFC! Get out to one of the great bars! You could taste 15 Scotches (not all in one night) :D and still have over $200 to buy some really fantastic Scotches for your home.

P.S. Are there any other bottles of liquor in your cabinet at this time? Or are you starting with SM Scotch?

Ralph, you make great points what the he!! is wrong with me I have got to go out and try some different stuff out at the lovely scotch bars. I should take my time and find what I like. I think you are totally right. You know what happened is I started reading reviews and then I started reading up on distilleries and....Snap all of a sudden I was compelled to put in an order for some stuff to test out.

Good advice...slow down

As for the Oban. I have had it neat and over ice. I think what I like about it is that it tastes smooth with a watery sweetness (i don't have the pallet for this yet). I tried Macallen 15 neat the other night at a bar and it was good but I like the Oban better. I think the Macallen was smokier and spicier.

Try St. Andrews at 120 W 44th St. They had around 125 scotches to choose from last time I was there.

Keen's chophouse has 200. I was there last week and tried the Mcallen 15 for the first time. I had it neat, it was tasty. They had stuff there that was realy expensive. At some point I will feel worthy of trying such examples :D

I'm going to check this place out for sure

Best Bar for Single-Malt Scotch - D.B.A.
Hands down, it's D.B.A., where chalkboards overhead display the handwritten names of a staggering 94 single malts, conveniently listed under regional headings (Lowland, Spey, Orkneys, et al.). Connoisseurs drool over the extra-aged spirits, like Macallan 20-year—not available at your ordinary pub—and the rare bottles coddled in "The Crypt." On the upside, there's a long, battle-scarred wooden bar and well-worn tables, plus a back garden, for the proper drinking ambience. On the downside, it's thronged with aging frat boys picking up shrill girls in skimpy dresses, and the bartenders aren't much help in steering novices through the bewildering array of scotches. For serious tasting, it's best to come on an afternoon, when the place is deserted and the knowledgeable owner is often on hand to offer suggestions. -J. Yeh

Keen's is a bit pricey IMO and I've never made DBA in the afternoon so St.Andrews has always done it for me. Any place that has a scotch collection is OK by me :thumbs:

jus10 said:
Keen's chophouse has 200. I was there last week and tried the Mcallen 15 for the first time. I had it neat, it was tasty. They had stuff there that was realy expensive. At some point I will feel worthy of trying such examples :D
[snapback]277048[/snapback]​

I am so freaking jealous!

Based on what you said about Oban and Macallan, on your next trip to the bar, try Highland Park 18, Balvenie 12 Doublewood, Glenfiddich 15 (Solera Reserve).

If you think Macallan is smokey and spicy, you may want to stay away from anything from Islay. Talisker from the Isle of Skye is also a smokey dram. They are fantastic whiskys but probably 10 to 20 times more smokey than a Macallan. If you do feel brave you could try the Talisker or maybe a Bruichladdich. They would probably be the least smokey.

I'd have to say that Bowmore is the least peaty of the Islays. A Bruichladdich can have none or be very heavy depending on which one you get.

Ralph said:
If you do feel brave you could try the Talisker or maybe a Bruichladdich. They would probably be the least smokey.
[snapback]277280[/snapback]​

DBA. DBA. DBA. DBA. DBA.

If I had to recommend one place for Single malt in NYC. It would likely be....anybody want to guess? DBA. It can get stupid crowded (it is NYC, after all) so get there early, get yourself a table with some friends, bring a bunch of cash, and have fun. I don't recall what I was drinking there, but it was old, rare, painfully expensive, and solidly one of the most enjoyable drams I ever drank in a bar. The pour was also a nice healthy, friendly "bar pour" not one of these moisten the bottom of a snifter measured out "shot" pours that some of the fancier places will serve you.
I do recal being amazed that I was served scotch in an old fashioned glass, not a proper spirits or nosing glass, nor even a snifter. Now, it is not a fancy bar, so I don't know why I excpected one, but with a scotch list of that caliber, there should be proper glasses. perhaps if you ask for one specifically they will oblige.

Enjoy. make sure you drink water between drams to cleanse the palate. If you want to wait till The weekend of March 3-5, I'll join you. Maybe we can find a nice spot for a smoke before or after.

AVB said:
I'd have to say that Bowmore is the least peaty of the Islays. A Bruichladdich can have none or be very heavy depending on which one you get.

Ralph said:
If you do feel brave you could try the Talisker or maybe a Bruichladdich. They would probably be the least smokey.
[snapback]277280[/snapback]​
[snapback]277331[/snapback]​

I should have said Bruichladich 10 Year-old which has virtually no peat reak (about 2 ppm phenolic content).The Bruichladdich "Port Charlotte" is around 40 ppm. BIG difference!

ohh man all good suggestions. I thought the McAllen was smokey because I really don't have much else to compare it to other than my "goto" Oban. I will most certainly try all of these suggestions (while trying to no get "to" drunk) :D

Smokelaw1, as for meeting up for some drink and smoke I'm game, give me a heads up when you come in to the City.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Justin

Justin,
PM me your address. I have some 50ml trio-paks of Balvenie 10-12-15 yr. old, and Glenfiddich 12-15-18 yr. old I'll send you to try out.

Michael