• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glenfiddich Solera Reserve

Thanks for the review; I will have to give this a try sometime. I remember not being expecially fond of the entry-level Glenfiddich several years ago, but I was gifted a bottle of the 12 last year and it was mighty tasty! And seeing as its warming up and I'm falling out of the Islay mood, a lighter, springier whisky is called for. This may be just the ticket (well, one of the tickets, anyway).

The Glenfiddich 12 is their entry level scotch. What did you have?

Thanks for the review; I will have to give this a try sometime. I remember not being expecially fond of the entry-level Glenfiddich several years ago, but I was gifted a bottle of the 12 last year and it was mighty tasty!

The Glenfiddich 12 is their entry level scotch. What did you have?

I realize that; that is what I had. I admit the phrasing of my prior post may have been something less than clear. :blush: Forgive me?

Drinking this as we speak, picked it up today, it was $49 a bottle here in MD. This is fantastic, smoking a DC Maximus Toro

I just picked up a bottle of this today.

edit: my reading comprehension is AWESOME today.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this one.

I just bought a bottle on sale for $36.00 and prefer this one to their 18 year old.

For 8 dollars more I can order the Ancient Reserve 18 year-old.

Should I spend the extra few dollars?

I have really enjoyed the Solera Reserve 15 yr, and was also wondering how it compared to the 18yr?

I just finished off my third bottle of this last night. It is my go to scotch along with Balvenie Doublewood.

If you like the less "aggressive" scotches, this one is a can't miss.

I got a bottle of the XXX 30 year old for Christmas. I can't wait to break it open.

Wow, where to begin! I've been a Bourbon Whiskey drinker for years and years and years... Last July my brother and I were on vacation in Florida on the gulf coast. I had been talking about trying cigars and Scotch Whisky so he brought some along. I should add that my brother lives in Nashville Tennessee and sells liquor for one of the distributors there. He has also been a cigar smoker for a while. As it turns out he brought a bottle of Glenfiddich Solera along as my initiation and some cigars which neither of us remember what they were. On the night that we cracked the bottle of scotch we ended up with an empty bottle. I believe we shared a few ounces with the bartender at the resort and gave the angels their share. That was a trip to remember. If you care to you can see the photo of us and the bottle in my album.

Since then I have smoked a few more cigars and emptied 3 or 4 bottles of the Glenn. I found that it is a much better accompaniment to a cigar than Bourbon. I'm not sure how many different more inexpensive brands I've had at various clubs but I do know that none of them measured up to the the Solera from Glennfiddich. I've also had a bottle of the standard Glenfiddich 15 year old by mistake because I didn't pay close enough attention to the packaging. As soon as I took a sip I knew that it wasn't right. I was really pissed at myself especially since it was slightly more expensive than the Solera vat offering. I didn't give it much thought at the time of purchase since I was in an upscale part of town. It tasted more like the less expensive scotches that most clubs offer. So if you've made it this far into my rambling I can highly recommend this scotch. If you don't like it then there may be no hope for you :laugh:

I will continue to try other offerings from other distilleries but Glenfiddich Solera Reserve will always invoke special memories for me.

Nice to see a review from 3 years ago still working out for folks.

Another of my college roommates got married this past weekend, and his best man had the foresight to bring a hip flask of this whisky to the reception as well as the generosity to share it with me. As I had a bit of a head cold at the time (still getting over it, actually) my ability to nose and taste was compromised, but I wasn't completely plugged up. The little bit of aroma that I could detect, between my cold and the tiny mouth of the flask, was warm, sweet honey and malt, some spice, and wood. The flavor was very smooth, rich and malty sweet, with no bite whatsoever. I found the finish to be a bit short, but nice and dry. This is an outstanding "drinking whisky" and, as Ray warns, could very easily sneak up on a person. At the price, it's a great buy.

Well, I had this bottle laying around and decided to bring it to my Niece's wedding a few weeks ago for the guys attending that drink good scotch. After the ceremony on the Barnegat Bay, we headed over to the reception hall for the cocktail hour and a half...perfect length!

I grabbed my brother (father of the bride), our oldest brother, and 2 other guys that drink scotch. We cracked that baby open and poured the 5 glasses. We toasted to the happy couple and all took a sip....we all paused for a few seconds and almost simultaneously said, "holy sh*t...this is really good!" It was like a moment frozen in time as the 5 of us talked about how smooth, bright, fruity, and how sweet on the finish this scotch was. It hit each of us the same way at the same time which seemed a bit strange as usually we have varying opinions on scotch when we all drink together. The only difference in opinion was some thought it thin as some thought it thicker, I found it kind of silky.

We talked for a while as we all finished up our first glass and immediately poured another...and then toasted to my brother for paying threw the nose for this extravagant night and how fortunate the rest of us felt getting a free ride on his nickel! We then broke up to go mingle around with family and friends as I put the bottle down on one of the cocktail tables. Periodically we would bump into each other during the next hour or so to comment on how good this scotch was....like a, 'where has this been all our lives' type of reaction as we would pour another glass. Needless to say, we polished off the bottle before we got to dinner, but emptied it just as we started...the 5 of us together, clanging our glasses as we married off another female Roberti.

I would agree that I like this one better than the 18yo in terms of drinkability...nothing too complex to have to pay attention on every sip to disseminate each flavor, but very tasty up front that made you come back for more very frequently. I didn't find it 'hot' in the least and the finish was lasting awhile...but then again, I was sipping this at a rapid pace while trying not to guzzle it!

I'm on the hunt for a few more bottles now....this will be in my regular rotation along side the Highland Park 18, Glenfiddich 15yo Distillery Edition 102 Proof, and the Cragganmore’s 1992 Distiller’s Edition.

I remember this Scotch and was very disappointed in it. So I used it to clean my Corona Old Boy lighter. :laugh: