• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

God...Do I Hate Propaganda

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
I saw THIS ARTICLE on AOL's homepage about smoking myths. It was your basic boilerplate anti-smoking hysteria about cigarettes until I got to the part about cigars. They really dusted off some old disinformation to write that part...but what really got me was the insinuation that cigar company's marketing departments promote the belief to consumers that cigars (and chewing tobacco) are less harmful than cigarettes. I can't EVER remember reading ANYTHING along those lines...not even in conversations with ANY cigar company owners or executives.

Has anyone out there heard of such a thing being promoted by a cigar company?

We all know that the anti-smoking zealots are tying cigars to cigarettes in an attempt to get them to enjoy the same severe taxation as cigarettes...due in part to the decrease in cigarette sales and lost tax revenue....and then to suggest that the lack of taxation leads a person to smoke cigars instead of cigarettes as a healthier alternative is just ludicrous.

PS: I guess someone forgot to remind the author and the person he was quoting that most cigar smokers DON"T inhale while smoking.

One cigar = one pack of cigarettes... :rolleyes:

Agree completely. Equating cigarettes and cigars is simply intellectual dishonesty.

Incidentally, the guy they interview for the article runs a tobacco treatment center. No conflict of interest there...

Agree completely. Equating cigarettes and cigars is simply intellectual dishonesty.

Incidentally, the guy they interview for the article runs a tobacco treatment center. No conflict of interest there...

I know seriously definitely not a conflict of interest.

"If someone says they smoke five cigars a day, I have to treat them like a two-and-a-half-pack-a-day smoker," says Hasan."

What total BS.

I guess it is possible if someone were to smoke a cigar in the exact same manner you do a cigarette; inhaling each drag deep into the lungs, holding it then exhaling, they might have a point. How many people smoke cigars in that manner?

Is this like someone adding

" Fliers SUCK "

to the end of every pm he sends to a certain Flyers fan?

Sounds like propaganda to me!
laugh.gif

I'd still 'twitter' her!!!

Justine is a freelance writer and something of a nomad, both of which contributed in one way to her meeting her dog, Marcus, but in another way contributed merely to her inability to pay for her own gasoline. She has co-written a book on Italian wine and published several personal essays, as well as innumerable articles on health, food, pop culture, and travel. She graduated from NYU, she is very good at skincare, and she counts among her finest adventures a drive across America (Marcus in tow), a hitch-hiking tour of Southern Egypt, an extended stay in Zanzibar, and a five-day Norwegian wedding in Mexico. The weirdest place she has ever been is Finland. She cannot bake, sing, or wear high heels, and she is spending the year in Brooklyn.

Follow @justinevdl on Twitter or email her at justinevdl@gmail.com

Nuf' said!

-------

And for those who really want to lay her...umm, into her:
It looks like her dad did some writing too...

"Since finding his name on the stone in 1975, I've been back to that place a number of times. I once took my daughter, Justine Van der Leun, there, but she is much more spoiled than I had been. She didn't get it, was quickly bored." <----linky

I like that 1 cigar equals 1 pack of cigarettes, but 5 cigars equals 2.5 packs of cigarettes. Must be new math!
sign.gif

or it could be the more cigars you smoke, the more the health risks are reduced.

Ken

I like that 1 cigar equals 1 pack of cigarettes, but 5 cigars equals 2.5 packs of cigarettes. Must be new math!
sign.gif

or it could be the more cigars you smoke, the more the health risks are reduced.

Ken
When will 1 cigar = 1 cigarette. (Show your work!)

Hint: Remember 1 pack = 20 cigarettes

:)

Also, above that number of cigars, one cigar begins to become equal to LESS than one cigarette!!! How many cigars will I have to smoke to get close to a zero cigarette equivalent?

Ugh... if legislators start painting the picture that cigars=cigarettes, I can see major increases in cigar costs to BOTLs ahead.

In the top right hand corner of the article, there is a link to reply. I did and asked them to please stop compairing cigarettes to cigars. I went on to say the info they provided is old and incorrect. You should all reply as well. That article is BS.

"If someone says they smoke five cigars a day, I have to treat them like a two-and-a-half-pack-a-day smoker," says Hasan."

What total BS.

I guess it is possible if someone were to smoke a cigar in the exact same manner you do a cigarette; inhaling each drag deep into the lungs, holding it then exhaling, they might have a point. How many people smoke cigars in that manner?

I have a friend that will inhale cigar smoke. But after smoking one of my cigars like a Opus X or a nice LFD cigar, he is lucky to make it through one cigar inhaling each puff. I've seen him throw up from doing this. I told him each time to not inhale the smoke. No way he could inhale each puff of 5 cigars. I'd love to met the person than can say inhale 5 Opus X Princessa D.

When you meet him you'll probably have to pick him up off the floor. :laugh: I'm sure he'll be a nice shade of green though.

Ugh... if legislators start painting the picture that cigars=cigarettes, I can see major increases in cigar costs to BOTLs ahead.

It's inevitable, unfortunately.

Keep in mind folks, all these taxes put forth are....

"For Our Children"

smoking.jpg

smoking_1293425c.jpg

kidsmoking.jpg

obama-smoking.jpg

:rolleyes: :whistling: :laugh: :rolleyes:

That last picture is especially funny.