• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

God of Fire

MoeCizlak

Built for comfort
My family and I were fortunate enough to be in Hawaii over the Holidays. My Mom and Dad are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and one of the first places they lived was in the tiny town of Eleele (pronounced el ee el ee), Kauai. We stayed 2 days in Honolulu and then 5 days just down the road from Eleele at Poipu Beach just outside of Koloa town. I was gifted this beautiful stick some time back soon after I joined CP by a very generous member here. While I subscribe to the oft-repeated mantra of Infinity, I also believe that special occasions do sometimes warrant a special cigar. So in honor of my parent's wedding anniversary, the New Year and the passing of Harold Scadden, I lit this cigar up and used the dark morning here to contemplate on a truly blessed life.

162600_1496423219622_1505364199_30999078_133100_n.jpg

Prelight at 5:37am local time brought a wonderful flavor. It tasted like a subtle Opus at cold. The look and feel of this cigar was almost perfect. The only info I could find on the wrapper is that it is Ecuadorian, not sure if that means it is a Sumatra wrapper or not, but it was dark and beautiful. After circumsizing the top, it lights easily and the draw is spot on. I get a nice peppery taste that reminds me of an Opus but there is also a woodiness here that I get from the regular Don Carlos line and from the Hemingway. Other than those two flavors, it is straight tobacco. And what wonderful tobacco it is!

167366_1496424259648_1505364199_30999081_6705765_n.jpg

The first third maintains the same flavors as previously described. This is a very deep and rich flavor and one that I am enthralled by. I seemingly have the hotel to myself at this hour and that adds to my experience as I am getting lost in this wonderful cigar.

167270_1496424939665_1505364199_30999082_6360725_n.jpg

The ash falls off almost precisely at the half way point. A slight touch up is applied and once again it is burning with an almost razor-like sharpness. Prior to the ash falling, it was a picture perfect ash. Light and fluffy with a true grayness to it, as seen here:

167366_1496424259648_1505364199_30999081_6705765_n.jpg

After purging, the deep woodiness and spice are still prevalent as is the wonderfully cured tobacco. I guess at this point I would a leathery flavor to the profile, but not as much as I get in the Hemingway profile. The sun is making an attempt to peek through and my previous companions, the stars, are leaving me. Kauai is not as densely populated as some of the other islands and as such, the light pollution is almost nil. The stars visible to me are numerous beyond counting and it really makes one feel humble. I wish my camera was capable of capturing the amount of stars visible, but it is just a Blackberry and I couldn't possible do it justice. Suffice it to say, Carl Sagan was right. At just about 7:00am the sun finally casts light in the west as my cigar enters the final stages.

36274_1496458300499_1505364199_30999133_5776547_n.jpg

The same flavors have stayed with me throughout the cigar and have made this one of the more enjoyable smokes I've had the privilege of smoking. While I experienced no flavor change at any point in this cigar, I wouldn't dare say it wasn't complex. Several flavors were noticeable all the while and the deep, rich tobacco taste made this a very complex cigar in my eyes. Soon after this last picture I let the nub go out and contemplate on the last hour and a half. I can think of few better ways to start a day of vacation than with this cigar. Thank you again for this wonderful gift, it made my last day of vacation a very memorable one.

167856_1496468340750_1505364199_30999173_5511929_n.jpg

While the price point of these will deter me from smoking too many of them, I can't recommend this highly enough. I think everyone should try this cigar at least once as I can't imagine anyone not thoroughly enjoying this. A great way to celebrate, ring in the New Year and honor a friend's grandfather to be sure. Happy New Year CP and Aloha!

163980_1496470300799_1505364199_30999182_3208128_n.jpg

I almost feel like I was there bro, Excellent review and great pictures! Thanks very much :thumbs: Have a Very Happy New Year!

Nice review and GREAT pics! Love the sunset! :thumbs:

The GOF Carlito is a much stronger, more full-bodied smoke, but I've always thought the GOF Don Carlos has exquisite flavor . . . I remember the first one I smoked, I looked down at in amazement every single puff, thinking "Damn! What a GOOD cigar!"

~Boar

I was gifted 2 of these and 2 of the Carlitos, for Christmas this year. I enjoyed the Don Carlos, but it seemed a little one dimensional. I enjoyed the fuller flavored, more complex, Carlito alot more.
Thanks for the review and the great pictures, including the sun RISE ;)

Cool review, I have yet to see you review a La Luna..:angry:

Clint thanks for sharing. Congrats to your parents on their 50th Anniversary.

Nice review and GREAT pics! Love the sunset! :thumbs:

The GOF Carlito is a much stronger, more full-bodied smoke, but I've always thought the GOF Don Carlos has exquisite flavor . . . I remember the first one I smoked, I looked down at in amazement every single puff, thinking "Damn! What a GOOD cigar!"

~Boar

+1

Great review Clint. I have to agree that these are stellar smokes.
And as you mentioned, while the cigar stays fairly consistent, the smoke itself remains a complexity of flavors. I actually prefer a cigar like that.
Who wants a great Steak, Wine, or Whiskey to keep changing flavors?

Clint, thanks for sharing a great smoking experience. Great pictures!

Thanks all for the kind words. I wish I had a better quality camera to better convey the beauty I was surrounded by. It was such an enjoyable morning and an even better smoke.

That was simply awesome Clint, excellent review. What a beautiful sight that must have been with the stars and sun slowly coming up. A moment to always remember right there. A huge congrats to your parents anni and hope you and yours have a very prosperous New Year my friend!

Like the others have said, great review and pics. Especially that one of the sun rise. Funny that yours was a GOF Don Carlos, because it was a Don Carlos I chose to smoke from my stash. Thanks for the review.

Great review Clint. I have to agree that these are stellar smokes.
And as you mentioned, while the cigar stays fairly consistent, the smoke itself remains a complexity of flavors. I actually prefer a cigar like that.
Who wants a great Steak, Wine, or Whiskey to keep changing flavors?

Well said!

Great review and congrats to the parents on their 50th. I would love to get my hand of a few of these someday.

Nice Clint!

Nothing like a great setting and environment like that to enjoy an already great smoke. It's been my experience that such settings and moments will amplify your sensory perceptions, putting you so much more in tune with the smoking experience.

Hawaii, huh? And here I thought I had a special holiday because I got to drink beer that had a name other than "BEER" on the can and smoke some grape White Owls. A-hole... :p

I've always preferred the Carlito GOFs, but I've come around to enjoy these almost as much in the last year or so. Buy as many of them as you can when you can. They get better the longer you keep them (so far, anyway).

Congrats to your folks, Clint. 50 years of marriage is something to be very proud of.

Nice Clint!

Nothing like a great setting and environment like that to enjoy an already great smoke. It's been my experience that such settings and moments will amplify your sensory perceptions, putting you so much more in tune with the smoking experience.

You know John, I completely agree with that. I will smoke another one in a mundane setting to see if I get the same reaction. I wonder how much of my enjoyment was "environmentally based". I smoked many cigars on the beach in the dark that week as I never got adjusted to the time difference so I was up at 4am almost every morning. I should've brought a cigar I didn't really care for to see if my surroundings influenced my thoughts on that cigar. I think I'll apply for a grant so I can study this more thoroughly. :D

Alan, with all due respect, you wouldn't be welcome on Kauai. There are chickens all over that island, and I mean literally. The story I got was Hurricane Iniki blew through in '92 (ah, poetry)and destroyed all the chicken coops releasing chickens into the wild. With very few natural predators and an unending food supply(tourists) they flourished in the wild and are literally everywhere now. The chances of you not running over one is minute. :laugh: