• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Golf....and the flawed handicap system

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I know there are a good many golfers here and this topic is always good for some fun discussion.

The USGA handicap system is predominantly designed to accommodate competition (read as betting) between players of dis-similar ability. The current system has flaws but it appears to be as good as it can be, given the task at hand. Here are some of the flaws I noticed during my competitive playing days.

#1 The system favors players of “consistent” ability and a handicapping system should not favor anybody.
EXAMPLE: Under the current system where your handicap is an average of the best ten of the last twenty scores, Player “A” who’s scores range between 72 and 90 due to back problems, or any other reason, and player “B” who’s scores range between 72 and 80 will have the same 3 or 4 handicap.

#2 It is virtually impossible to create an even playing field between scratch and bogie players in a tournament or organized event.
EXAMPLE: In a fully handicapped tournament or event made up of 20 scratch players (0 handicap) and 20 bogie players (18 handicap) the scratch players have literally no chance of winning. And in a non handicapped tournament or event the bogie players literally have no chance. In a full handicapped event, it requires only one bogie player to have a good day, let’s say shooting 83 for a net 65, and it becomes impossible for a scratch player to compete because they would have to shoot 64 to win.

Which brings me to one of my pet peeves when I used to play. I hated handicapped events and I hated playing in friendly games which were handicapped. When we would try to put something together for our weekend games we would invariably stand on the first tee and argue every day. The high handicappers would obviously want strokes and the low handicappers wouldn’t want to give them. One of my playing partners, who was also a scratch player, came up with the best line when asked by a high handicapper “what can we (the high handicappers) do to compete” he said “play better”.

My position in this ongoing argument was this….. “in what other aspect of life do you get special treatment because you suck?.....do you get anything special at work if you are an underachiever?, do you get anything special on your softball team because you are one of the weaker players?, do your hunting or fishing buddies give you the best spot because you can’t shoot or cast for shit?” This position obviously created a lot of good natured banter.

I am curious if you guys have these discussions with your playing buddies?

New to golf.

Glad you posted this, I was wondering how to figure my handicap. I have only played 4 rounds and of those only one was a full 18 holes. But mathematically:

Round 1 - 58 after 10 holes par 30
58/10 = 105/18 par 54

Round 2 147 after 18 holes par 73

Round 3 - 56 after 10 holes par 30
56/10 = 101/18 par 54

Round 4 - 65 after 9 holes par 37
65/9 = 130/18 par 74

105+147+101+130 = 483
483/4 = 120.75

54+73+54+74 = 255
255/4 = 63.75

120.75 - 63.75 = 57

So if handicap is average score minus average par, I would be 57 handicap golfer?

On second thought, maybe I will play you for cigars if I can use my handicap. :whistling:

New to golf.

Glad you posted this, I was wondering how to figure my handicap. I have only played 4 rounds and of those only one was a full 18 holes. But mathematically:

Round 1 - 58 after 10 holes par 30
58/10 = 105/18 par 54

Round 2 147 after 18 holes par 73

Round 3 - 56 after 10 holes par 30
56/10 = 101/18 par 54

Round 4 - 65 after 9 holes par 37
65/9 = 130/18 par 74

105+147+101+130 = 483
483/4 = 120.75

54+73+54+74 = 255
255/4 = 63.75

120.75 - 63.75 = 57

So if handicap is average score minus average par, I would be 57 handicap golfer?

On second thought, maybe I will play you for cigars if I can use my handicap. :whistling:

The USGA handicap is somewhat complicated but can be easily broken down. Until you have ten round posted in a USGA index capable computer there are formulas to use. And just and FYI, handicap is not based on par it is based on course rating which are close but not the same thing. Every course score card will have a course rating, which is an indication of how difficult the course is for scratch golfers, and a slope rating, which is an indication of how difficult the course is for bogie golfers. Confused yet?

If the course rating is 69.4 then theoretically a 4 handicap player should shoot 73.4 regardless of what par is on the course. It's all done by a very sophisticated computer program and we all now the game of golf is not that precise.

And yes, even though I don't play any more I would be happy to take your cigars as there is a maximum allowable handicap to keep cheaters from cheating......you will just have to suffer under this caveat until you improve beyond the maximum. But the key is, even if I was still a scratch golfer, I would love to play with anybody who has an appreciation of the game, I'll bring you a cigar and you bring me one and we'll drink a case of beer while we play and call it a day ;)

EZ solution to your wk-end game. If you are a low handicap and don't want to give strokes to even the playing field, then find like handicap golfers to play with.

I used to play weekly with a guy who just started the game, spent a lot of money on clubs, lessons, you name it. All he wanted to do was to beat me, which, I didn't care less either way.

I was on the course to enjoy the day, friends, and a few cigars. After 18 holes, I'd go to the 19th hole for a couple of beers, shoot the $hit with Tracy the bartender, the guys, and maybe smoke another cigar. This other guy would go to the practice tee and hit balls for another hour.

He would practice before and after work, and his vacations revolved around golf. He was addicted.

He decides to get a handicap, because he wants to know how good he is. His words, not mine. All fine and dandy, though he didn't really understand how a handicap truly works, especially regarding slope and rating.

We're playing one day and he says whatever handicap he is, I think it was 10, not that it matters. My father-in-law, Bob, has played regularly for 35 years, USGA handicap, Men's Leagues, etc., and he calls BS because he knows how this guy plays and Bob is good, an actual 12 handicap.

We're playing the longest hole on the course, a 615 yard par five, #3 Mountain. After he hit into the water on his approach, then shot 5 went into a trap behind the green, he picks his ball up and says that because of his handicap, he can take no worse than a bogey on the hole and gives himself a six. :whistling:

Then he does this again later in the round. :sign:

I think Bob and I only played with him a couple of more times after this. Besides slamming his club on the tee box(which Tone-NY can attest to), berating himself on the course very loudly, he just wasn't fun to play with any more.

My handicap is that I don't play enough. :laugh:

We too have this issue at my club.

I play with a .3, 6 and 7 hdcp group(I'm an 11.x index right now...or 13 on our course from the tips).

We just have fun and don't bet.

When there are tourney's, the tend to opt out....so, most of the events are by flight....or the group events are by max hdcp for the 2 or 4 some.

EZ solution to your wk-end game. If you are a low handicap and don't want to give strokes to even the playing field, then find like handicap golfers to play with.

Unfortunately it just doesn't work that way. And unfortunately, giving strokes doesn't even the playing field, it just tilts it in a different direction.

At most country clubs and many public courses people play together based on friendship and not handicap.