• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Goodbye. Hello.

merkinmullet

Where to begin? From the beginning I suppose. I am moving to Chicago; Bucktown area specifically. The U-haul was packed with my goods from storage, and I nearly ran an angry aggressive Ohio driver off the road partially not on purpose.

My farewell dinner as it were, was at my dad’s house. I cooked. Five spice scented rack of New Zealand lamb, and grilled broccoli, mini peppers with charred onions and lemon zest. Paired with a 1991 Dominus that was nearly perfect. Supple and rich with a nose that wouldn’t stop giving up dark berries, leather, and earth. The apex of drinkability. I wanted to rub it on my face, it was that good.

Post dinner cigar was a Cohiba Lancero from 2005. The draw was a bit stiff for the first third. However, I had never tasted these flavors in a cigar before. There was spice, but like a distilled amped up version of spice. It was almost synthetic, extracted. It was good, different. Naturally, the draw loosened, and the smoke became ample. Flavors intensified, concentrated and changed. My vocabulary failed me. If I have ever had a cigar that would benefit from age, I know it to be this one. It was not the best cigar I have had, or my favorite, but given the meal, wine and company, it was perfect. I did lose 2-3 in backgammon though.

Tonight was a great way to close one chapter and start a new one. I head out Monday to my new pad (a block from Cagancho’s Cigar). Wish me luck in the food capital of the Midwest.

Good luck on the move. How long is the drive? What are yoing to listen to (CD's, FM, 8 Track, XM/Sirius)?

Good luck to you Merkin. I may have to steal that lamb recipe, it sounds delicious.

Your review of your good bye sounded like a perfect ending. I wish you well on your move. While I've never really had the courage to move very far from my home base, I admire the spirit of those who strike out on their own adventures. Best of luck!

StinkiMonki

Welcome to Chicago, if you truly are a gourmand then Chicago is for you. :love: :thumbs:

Congratulations on escaping from Ohio! :thumbs: :thumbs:

j/k... sounds like a great move, Chicago is a fun city, so be sure to have fun.

Welcome to chicago..home of the smoking ban...bleeeh..
I have been meaning to check out than new taco stand turned cigar lounge! SOunds like anice spot. So nice to have a Cigar shop close to you.

Good Luck in Chi Town Brandon! Sounds like a great meal in the true meaning of dining and not just eatin'. Great adventure lies ahead!

Thanks all. I have arrived in the Chicago slush and snow. Trying to unpack boxes that have been in storage for years is like Christmas, except the presents are a bunch of boxes of stuff I don't really want anymore. I got pulled over by a local sheriff in Indiana in my U-haul. I just tossed out a cigar butt and the cab had to have reeked. I asked if the speed limit was 70 for me as well, and he said it was, but I was going 73 and slowed down to 68 when I passed him. That was suspicious to him. After checking out the cargo area, he asked if he could bring out his K-9. I gladly complied. The only illicit goods were a couple Habanos, but I doubt the K-9 or officer cared about that. I did have a week's worth of beard, two Red Bulls and an hour of sleep along with cigar odor in the cab, so I guess I could have fit a profile. :cool:
I truly appreciated the officer's concern, and thanked him for it. However, I had to chuckle to myself that slowing down under the speed limit was cause for suspicious.
On another note, I stopped into Cagancho's today. They put up a 47" TV on the wall since I was last in. It looks a bit surreal amidst the 40 or so mounted beasts on the walls. He's got animals from Africa that I have never seen, even a Jack-a-lope. If anyone is in the 'hood let me know, I am always down for a smoke.

Good to hear you made it. I guess the next time I smuggle heroin in from Mexico, I won't go under the speed limit. Thanks for the advice. :D