• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

GPS units and motorcycles

Shamrocker

Sheik Yerbouti
My Dad just got back from an extended bike trip, and in a bit of unfortunate weather his GPS unit got a little wet and no longer works. Do any riders here have recommendations or experience with a good weather resistant or weather proof GPS?

Dammit. Wrote out a big reply and no idea what happened to it.

In short: Go Garmin. I am a Garmin faithful and had much success with one of their early touchscreen units marketed towards motorcycles, as well as their older Garmin V unit.

Agreed. Garmin is the standard. The 220 should suffice but I'm partial to widescreen so I'd recommend the 660.

Garmin Zuma is weatherproof, but spendy. I just use a Garmin 1300 and a ziplock bag and take it off when its really coming down.

I'm going to get a ram mount for mine in a couple weeks.

I had the RAM mount on my Triumph and used it for the Garmin V and the newer Garmin, as well (different cradles, of course). Those balls were very convenient! :)

I had the RAM mount on my Triumph and used it for the Garmin V and the newer Garmin, as well (different cradles, of course). Those balls were very convenient! :)

There's a guy that makes a ram mount attachment that replaces the brake or clutch fluid reservoir covers for my bike. I'm going GPS on the left and cup holder on the right. :thumbs:

There's a guy that makes a ram mount attachment that replaces the brake or clutch fluid reservoir covers for my bike. I'm going GPS on the left and cup holder on the right. :thumbs:

Couldn't you just put the GPS in the basket on the front? Or maybe on the bell?

I had a garmin as well. Worked great but wasn't crash resistant. :blush:

Couldn't you just put the GPS in the basket on the front? Or maybe on the bell?

Jealous much?

8xtoiu.jpg

I recently ditched my dedicated GPS and have just been using my phone. In the front pocket of my jacket or in my saddlebags, I usually easily get 6 meter accuracy. Google navigation broadcast through bluetooth to my helmet takes care of the rest. I'd have my phone paired for music and communications anyway, so it seemed the obvious choice to me to eliminate one more device, and I don't need the hassle of trying to glance down at a glared visual display while cagers are trying to kill me. 5K miles without a problem.