• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Graduation Advice from FOGs

sir-smokes-a-lot

A Freudian Slip in progress
With my graduation coming up in less than 2 weeks [May 28th], I am looking foreward to the end of my college life and the start of whatever comes next. [Anyone know what I can do with a degree in International Management? :D ]
I have enjoyed my time at college. Learned some, drank some, have yet to break any bones, and loved every minute of it. :cool:

That said, while I can look at numbers, figures, and tell my left from right, I don't know how much Gustavus has really told me about what comes after graduation. Reading about some of the proud fathers on this, and other boards, I am curious as to what advice you can give to a graduating senior about lift after the dorm?

Looking for something unique, different, and more than "you are the future", etc...
a/k/a inform me all the things you wish you were told back in the day.

thanks.
:thumbs:

sir-smokes-a-lot said:
[Anyone know what I can do with a degree in International Management? :D ]

Practice saying” You want fries with that?” or “You wanna super size that?”

I've got an Econ degree with a specialization in International Business. In my case unless you have a PhD, you won't get a job in the field. Maybe a Master's will help in I.M. ???

Many employers judge on the basis of having survived a degree in anything. You don't have to restrict yourself to the international community. Find a good head hunter, or perhaps talk to a military recruiter.

What I wish someone had told me back in the day?

1. Buy stocks for the long haul and start buying early in life.

2. It's never too late to start saving for retirement. If the place you work has a 401k, take advantage of it. If there's a matching amount from your employer, put in at least the amount that will get matched -- it's free money.

3. Stop and smell the damn roses once in a while (since you're a cigar smoker, I'm guessing you already do this.)

4. Look to the future when you make decisions. Don't reach the age of 50 with any regrets (or at least with any big ones.)

Congrats on the graduation! You'll do just fine, I'm sure. :thumbs:

Unless the first job is absolutely perfect, you can leave it. Don't be afraid to be poor again after you are used to making real world money instead of odd job money.

Remember you want a career and growth, not to become bored and increasingly dreading going to WORK just because it is a job. The money has become a crutch for what you find comfortable is not the same as obtaining some real world satisfaction.

Oh yeah, start the retirement thing too. definitely!

Buy the book, What Color Is Your Parachute?. It made my job transition from the military (after 20-plus years) much less stressful.

A piece of advice I once received from a Chief Master Sergeant I worked for...I don't really give a damn about getting fired. Every time I got canned, I got a better job! He was talking about taking risks vs. playing it safe and doing the right thing vs. protecting your job. Don't be afraid of making a reasoned, tough decision.

What I wish someone had told me back in the day?

1. Buy stocks for the long haul and start buying early in life.

2. It's never too late to start saving for retirement. If the place you work has a 401k, take advantage of it. If there's a matching amount from your employer, put in at least the amount that will get matched -- it's free money.

3. Stop and smell the damn roses once in a while (since you're a cigar smoker, I'm guessing you already do this.)

4. Look to the future when you make decisions. Don't reach the age of 50 with any regrets (or at least with any big ones.)

Congrats on the graduation! You'll do just fine, I'm sure. :thumbs:

I got nothing to add but that's good advice above.
I fu*ked up on #'s 1 & 2, but I'm doin' OK on #'s 3 & 4.

Buy the book, What Color Is Your Parachute?. It made my job transition from the military (after 20-plus years) much less stressful.

A piece of advice I once received from a Chief Master Sergeant I worked for...I don't really give a damn about getting fired. Every time I got canned, I got a better job! He was talking about taking risks vs. playing it safe and doing the right thing vs. protecting your job. Don't be afraid of making a reasoned, tough decision.

That's some damn good advice right there!

If I had to add anything it would be this (even though I'm in grad school, this still holds true): No matter what the degree (B.S., M.S, Ph.D.) whatever it may be, you aren't entitled to anything! Everyone starts (relatively) at the bottom and works their way up. I know a bunch of people that graduated college with me who couldn't understand why they didn't come out of school making $100K! Boy did they learn a lesson, doesn't take long to knock an ego like that down.

Good luck with the job search, I'll be starting mine in the next year or so hopefully, and will have to search out this thread again as a reminder!