• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Great gift idea

Gunpowder

Cigar Search & destroy V 1.20
I was in a Chinese restaurant awhile back and observed a couple who whipped out their own chopsticks from their storage boxes. I thought now those people are serious connoisseurs.

Wife ordered a set for us and the kids including boxes. Shipped and arrived quickly. we were shorted 1 box and they are shipping it out next Tuesday and asked if that was soon enough. Wife said they were very pleasant and service oriented.

Look here

I was in a Chinese restaurant awhile back and observed a couple who whipped out their own chopsticks from their storage boxes. I thought now those people are serious connoisseurs.

Wife ordered a set for us and the kids including boxes. Shipped and arrived quickly. we were shorted 1 box and they are shipping it out next Tuesday and asked if that was soon enough. Wife said they were very pleasant and service oriented.

Look here

This is great. My little girl is some what of a teenage food snob and loves chinese. I think she would get a good kick out of a set of these. Thanks for sharing.

I have the stainless steel ones; gift from a bro who knows how much I like Asian food. They're great.

~Boar

We picked up the childrens chopsticks for the kids but they are 9 and 11. I would think the teenager could handle the adult size.

Also interesting is the sections on history of the chopstick and the differences between the different styles (Chinese, Japanese, etc.)

Look here

Last time I was in Japan I picked up one of these sets for me and some others as gifts, as you mentioned. They really quite nice.

I'll be going back in late February. Shall I pick up some more? Probably will.

Look here

Last time I was in Japan I picked up one of these sets for me and some others as gifts, as you mentioned. They really quite nice.

Do you really think you will get more mileage out of these than lite up booby lighters?

PJ

Do you really think you will get more mileage out of these than lite up booby lighters?

PJ

Well, it depends on the situation. I don't think my mother would appreciate the lighter as much. I save that for my future father-in-law. :)

The Chinese restaurant may or may not care-I'm unfamiliar with Chinese social mores-, but if you have a favourite sushiya for example, you may want to be cautious about whipping out your own chopsticks unless you happen to have a close and casual relationship with the itamae. It could *potentially* be taken as a sign of disrespect. Just as it is considered rude to rub wooden chopsticks together if you happen to be somewhere that uses them, bringing your own chopsticks may equally convey you feel the establishment is cheap or unclean in some way.

The Chinese restaurant may or may not care-I'm unfamiliar with Chinese social mores-, but if you have a favourite sushiya for example, you may want to be cautious about whipping out your own chopsticks unless you happen to have a close and casual relationship with the itamae. It could *potentially* be taken as a sign of disrespect. Just as it is considered rude to rub wooden chopsticks together if you happen to be somewhere that uses them, bringing your own chopsticks may equally convey you feel the establishment is cheap or unclean in some way.

I could definitely see that. I generally only use my personal sets at home when I'm eating sushi.

In the case of the restaurant I observed the people eating the chop sticks, The standard is fork and spoon. If I have to ask for chopstick because I can't find them then i say use your own.

It is considered rude to rub wooden chopsticks together?

PJ

In certain environments, it can often be taken as an outward demonstration you feel the chopsticks are of the lowest quality (which may actually be true). Japanese culture is rife with complex etiquette considerations, with many different levels of propriety and politeness. Even learning the subtleties in the language can be infuriating!

In certain environments, it can often be taken as an outward demonstration you feel the chopsticks are of the lowest quality (which may actually be true). Japanese culture is rife with complex etiquette considerations, with many different levels of propriety and politeness. Even learning the subtleties in the language can be infuriating!

Good to know, thank you. I often do rub them together, once broken apart, to remove the wood shards prior to eating. I will be more cautious in the future.

PJ

Good to know, thank you. I often do rub them together, once broken apart, to remove the wood shards prior to eating. I will be more cautious in the future.

PJ

Or you could just do it under the table where no one else can see. Just make sure you don't look like you're doing something else.... that may be looked upon as even more rude :)

Or you could just do it under the table where no one else can see. Just make sure you don't look like you're doing something else.... that may be looked upon as even more rude :)

Don't rub too vigorously, and keep your poker face on. :whistling:

Or you could just do it under the table where no one else can see. Just make sure you don't look like you're doing something else.... that may be looked upon as even more rude
smile.gif

Don't rub too vigorously, and keep your poker face on.
whistling.gif

I didn't think Chinese food and Lady GaGa went together?
laugh.gif

My initial post has the link to a vendor that has a lot of etiquette info including how to set your stick on the table.