• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Green Torch Lighters

KayakinBoy

I was raised in the canebrake by an ol' mama lion
I noticed in the gas station the other day, they had these lighters, so I picked one up, and when you flipped the switch all these colors come up, flashing lights, the works. anyways, I also noticed the flame was green.... I was a little thrown off. What's up with the green flame? Are they safe? How do they make it green? ???

If you have ever seen Envy with Jack Black, I felt like screaming, where did the poop go?!?!

they are also on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...6181692547&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...6181694450&rd=1

This just might be something for the hippies... :D

KB

actually if you look down inside the part where the flame comes out you will notice a little wire, all torch lighters have something similar (I think) anyway I believe by using different type of metal for that wire, Like copper, they can change the color of the flame by oxidizing it or something I think. As far as safe I have no clue I would think so. Can't be any more dangerous than using a zippo and getting those fumes in you.

Copper wire would for sure oxidize green in a butane flame, but I wonder if it could be nothing more than a stragetically placed bright LED? Hard to tell w/o seeing and playing with it.....

I don't think inhaling copper oxides would be a great idea....... :whistling:

Cheers - B.B.S.

I think naiou is right. I had one of these once and eventually the flame stops being green, which makes me think that it certainly isn't an LED. Just my .02.

grand cru no 2 said:
I think naiou is right. I had one of these once and eventually the flame stops being green, which makes me think that it certainly isn't an LED. Just my .02.
[snapback]189865[/snapback]​

It's probably copper, and it's probably not bad for you.

Almost all flames have a tinge of yellow in them from sodium; we don't worry about inhaling sodium vapors do we?

That said if a normal and a colored flame were the same price I'd get the normal.

that one did change after being lit for a second, the one that I saw. Kinda cool, just wondered.

It probably takes a second or two for the copper or whatever metal is causing the color to warm up to the point where it will color the flame.

I had never seen - or, more precisely, never paid attention, to these until the fella at the TRIUMPH bike display at the Big Smoke in ATC put one in my mitt that has "Triumph." on it. After a second or so, the flame turns red. Kind of cool to play with, didn't light any sticks with it though. After playing with it for a little while, it ended up crapping out before the weekend was even over and I left the Borgata. Guess it was good that I didn't have to worry with even trying to think about getting it back home to Miami Beach, but also shows you get what you pay for. Still wouldn't have lit any sticks with it. Something about it just seems wrong. :)

ya its copper wire heating up. try throwing a piece of half inch copper pipe in your next campfire, very cool effect :cool:

For what it's worth, I bought one of these lighters recently. I didn't like the flashing lights and the green flame. You should be able to take the little screw out of the bottom of the lighter and pull the actual torch from the base, Zippo style. Once it's apart, just pull the batteries out and putting back together. That should solve the flashing problem.

As for the green flame, if you look down into the lighter, as mentioned above, there's a little wire, however, it should have a little bead of something on it. If you notice, when you light the lighter, after a couple of seconds the bead starts glowing and that's when the flame turns green.

I don't know hot this might affect cigars, so, I took a ball point pen and broke the wire/bead off and simply pulled it out of the lighter. The lighter still seems to light and work just fine, but no more green flame. I say, not bad for $6.95.

(spelling edit)

I got one of these from a friend that supplies retail staore with them. Mine has a chick with realy reaLY FAKE TITS on it. I asked my freind how they work and he told me "I just sell the $hit" I still have not light a smoke with it. :p