• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Greycliff - Grand Cru - Salamones I

sir-smokes-a-lot

A Freudian Slip in progress
One of the highlights of my few years of cigar-smoking was attending the RTDA show in NOLA last summer. While there, I got a chance to check out the Greycliff booth and their 2 new blends for '05, the G2 [already reviewed here] and the Grand Cru. I smoked one of each in New Orleans and must say I fell in love with both! [Sidenote, before the RTDA had tried their Crystal line and was not impressed.]

I fell in love again this afternoon. While writing a paper, I thought how much more fun it would be to do it with a cigar outside. So I went outside with a bottle of water, my laptop, and some jazz tunes. That said, enough preamble and on to the review.

Greycliff Cran Cru, Salamones I
The cigar is a perfect Salamones I size [as listed in MRN].
The cigar is in perfect shape, with a flawless design. The wrapper was a med to light brown, with a little reddish tint to it. The wrapper was smooth with only light veins.

I used my Xi to cut a small hole near the tip to best preserve the shape. It had a perfect pre-light draw to it. Was amazed at the taste of the unlit tobacco. It had an almost farm-fresh taste to it [as best seen in some of the stronger ISOMs I've tried], with some spice and balance.

Due to it being windy, used a torch to light it. Almost immediately, was treated to lots of smoke. Throughout the cigar, the burn stayed almost razor-perfect, with large amounts of blue-grey smoke. Needed one small touch-up during the last 3" or so.

It had a med taste to it, but rich. I want to say it has an ISOM-feel to it, rich and well balanced. That 'farm-fresh' taste was lightly pronounced. It definitely had some strength to it, but not in today’s “Hey look, we can make a strong cigar for the masses” way, but a balanced strength that comes with good blending.

The taste changed a little over 1/2-way through. While it had a great taste all the way, near the end of the cigar the flavors intensified in the most amazing way! While I enjoyed it earlier, wanted to marry one during the 2nd half.

I have also tried Perdomo's EDS Salamones in the coffin one time. They are similar in being amazing smokes in a fun size, but this Grand Cru had more depth and complexity to it [though I am also a huge fan of Perdomos].

As I got this from the RTDA show, not exactly sure the price, but I believe that it is around $25. And speaking as one who tends to smoke much more affordable cigars [$4-10], this is def. worth it if you find one!

Added: the link to their website for info. http://graycliff.com/index.php?option=news...warticle&sid=90

Wonderful review, enjoyed your descriptive writing.

Brian

Nice review. I have had a few of these and like them quite a bit. I do tend to like the smaller sizes in the Grand Cru line a little better though. Most definetly an excellent smoke. I swear they must use some Cuban tobacco in these.

I've only smoked one of these (the same vitola you had)... and I didn't particularly enjoy it. I'll definitely give it another shot tho...

Thank you for the interesting read. I want to try it and that means you sold the experience. So far the only Graycliffs I've had are the Profesionale and Red Label Series. Both excellent construction and quite tasty, too.

Decent smoke but not worth the money IMHO, maybe i need to try another one