• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Grow your own

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
For the intrepid among us I found this place that sells tobacco seeds and has instructions on how to grow them Take a look.

I've though for awhile that it would be really cool to try. Shouldn't be too hard to grow a few tobacco plants.

My concern, and the hinderance to my trying it, is my understanding (perhaps incorrectly) that you need a few pretty good sized bales to successfully ferment enough tobacco to make a smokeable cigar (filler, binder and wrapper).

Edited to add: a long time ago there was a story on CA.com about a guy who grew and rolled his own. It might still be there.

So that "peppery taste" is suspected to be the residue from the fumigation chemicals?

Nice read on the article.

edited for punctuation and capitals.

Wonder what Alaskan soil and lots of sunlight would do to a tobacco plant?

Great idea, anyone got a line on a couple of tons of Cuban soil? :whistling:

I am not intrepid enough to try rolling my own cigars, but I'd really like to grow a few tobacco plants...I think they look nicer than a rose bed. :laugh:

I didn't see prices. How much do you think you have to grow to make a cigar? I would try this as long as I don’t have to seed my whole front and back yard to make a cigar. Though my green thumb is only green from being gangrenous. I think I might enjoy trying to killing a new kind of plant. Sounds cool anyway.

Prices are listed on the website, look harder. :)

I found that site awhile ago. He use to sell bulk tobacco graded for filler/binder and wrapper by the pound. I guess he doesn't do that anymore. I've considered trying the grow my own but decided I don't have the time to do it. If anyone gives it a shot, give us updates on how it goes.