• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout

foreignExtraLabel.jpg
Here's a story I posted on my website after being sent a Guinness FES from a relative visiting Dublin...

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout captures the brewers gift to the world: a deep, rich and powerful beer. Originally brewed in Dublin and first exported in 1802 it's been brewed locally throughout Asia, Africa and the Caribbean since the 1960s. In Ireland, it's the undisputed Guinness beer of choice. Today, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is a Guinness world-beater… 40% of the world's Guinness beer is a little foreign and has a little extra. Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is brewed at the St. James Gate brewery in Dublin, Ireland. It's brewed with extra hops to give it distinctive character and extra shelf-life in warmer climates. It's an export-class beer for countries with a taste for strength (7.5% ABV).

Foreign Extra Stout is also brewed by another Guinness brewery, Guinness Nigeria PLC. Founded in 1962, this Nigerian brewery uses a concentrate sent from Dublin (which is dark stout with the water removed) to make their Foreign Extra Stout. Then it is blended with a local pale beer. Due to restrictions on barley cultivation, sorghum is used in this beers production. The sorghum imparts a distinctly sweeter taste while keeping the robust character and elevated alcohol content found in the Foreign Extra Stout brewed at the St. James Gate brewery. This "Nigerian Guinness" or "concentrated stout" is occasionally available from off-licenses and supermarkets in the UK.

Unfortunately, neither of the Foreign Extra Stouts mentioned can be purchased in the United States. The closest thing would be the Guinness Original/Extra Stout bottles (6.0% ABV). Sounds like we all have a reason for planning a trip to Ireland!

Maybe this is why everyone thinks "the Guinness doesn't taste the same in Ireland"

Sounds like we all have a reason for planning a trip to Ireland!

Maybe this is why everyone thinks "the Guinness doesn't taste the same in Ireland"

Having personally visited Dublin, Ireland twice and I've drank my fair share of Guinness over there as well in the States. It is different and I know why. Also having toured the Guinness Plant in Dublin, I know. :p

Sounds like we all have a reason for planning a trip to Ireland!

Having personally visited Dublin, Ireland twice and I've drank my fair share of Guinness over there as well in the States. It is different and I know why. Also having toured the Guinness Plant in Dublin, I know. :p

What Mr. Peat said. There is nothing like having a pint of Guiness at the top of the brewery in Dublin. It is better than anything you can get in the states.